1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

2012 Daytona 500 Discussion

Discussion in 'NASCAR Discussion' started by Sgt Slaughter, Feb 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Captain

The Captain Well-Known Member Banned

Care to back that number up? I'll hang up and listen...

2. moppenheimer

moppenheimer #Murica

Burton at one point pushed Harvick for 2 whole laps, and they made it about 1.5 car lengths. What you're talking about when he wasn't pushing, it was Hamlin in front of him and it was still early, he didn't want to blow up the car with 30 to go pushing a Toyota.

Truex and Martin hooked up after a restart too, and despite no one on the bottom pushing, and Truex pushing Mark as hard as he could, they sank.

The top wasn't working because you couldn't push long enough to make progress, not for a lack trying.

3. Markfan

Markfan Sim Racing Designosaur

So, only 1% of NASCAR fans have thought that at least one of nearly 200 previous cup superspeedway races were better than a non-points wreckfest, a truck race where the eventual rookie winner wrecked the leader and a race that had 18 DNFs AND the entire top 10 taken out of contention on the final lap?

Really?

4. tipptruck

tipptruck Well-Known Member

Man I have been away for almost 24 hours. The last 20 plus pages have been filled with criers. The first 50 we also filled with criers. First you whine and cry because you cant see the race at noon on Monday. Then you cry about how the race ends. What happened did you you young men turn in to woman and decided to ride the rag for the last few days. I am sorry if that hurt any one. But that is what your acting like and sounding like.

the 70 some pages or criers are the main reason why I stay out of these race pages. You guys all cry if some one you didn't like wins. Then you cry if some one got booted in the turn on the final lap. It just not this forum I see it on. The no grip forums are just as bad. I swear every f1 race thread gets locked. Maybe that should start happening around here. If you don't believe me ask moppenheimer I see him over there from time to time.

I have been a NASCAR fan since the early 90s. I can't recall the first race I saw. But I always remember seeing Daytona and loving it. When I was younger is was the crashes. But now as a 26 year old man. I do enjoy the wrecks. But I also like the product I see. I also enjoy a lot of other types of racing that might have a local yellow once a race. Or they might get the safety car out once every 3 races.

I do remember the 90s pack racing. Really there is not to munch different then vs now. The passes didn't happen as munch as people think they did. The cars were a lot slower then and made more down force then. It was kind of hard to make a pass. The only time you saw some one making a turn 4 break away was when Dale broke them lose in the turn.

2 people like this.
  5. B.McKeever

B.McKeever Well-Known Member

Yes, I REALIZED it. That wasn't the point. I was saying they shouldn't "ban" or "limit" ANY type of racing unless it provides an extreme danger to drivers, crews, or fans.

Pit road speed limit = good. Unlimited speeds = dangerous to crews.
    Eliminate wing = good. Air under it caused cars to fly.

What is the 2-car tandem hurting?

Explain that.

6. Phantomguy24

Phantomguy24 TyV2

What I said about the single file lines is that this is what pack racing has become. So I've figured out what I've been trying to say all night about the high line not being able to make progress. If you look in those very videos you posted, rarely did the top line ever have more cars than the bottom line. The problem is the new track surface. Because the inside line can hold it down on the yellow line all the way around, there's no bobbling to break up the momentum and give the high line a run. So now the high line would need more cars than the inside line which isn't going to happen, because no one wants to take a risk on the high line. And here's what I mean by single file being what pack racing has become:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNDnRMj6nQM&feature=BFa&list=PL646DAF1CADD78B86&lf=results_main]2005 Daytona 500 - Part 10 of 21 - YouTube[/ame]

^Most of that looks very similar to last night. Single file line with two wide back in the pack.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGSBgHZX3E8&feature=related]2006 Daytona 500 - Part 7 of 21 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGuOmAwqKR0&feature=related]2007 DAYTONA 500 PART 4 OF 15 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkOJQYlQhHE]2008 Daytona 500 - Part 6 of 20 - YouTube[/ame]

I wish I had a video of the move Jamie Mac and Juan made in the shootout this year, because there's no way you could look at that and tell me the two car draft takes no skill. Simple fact is, the only pack racing we will see in the future is what we saw last night, at least until the track wears down in 15 years.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  7. LarryFoyt50

LarryFoyt50 OMG THIS PLATE!!!

Well, it could be worse. Flame-throwing and trolling were an option, but they decided to argue in a compossed manner. In argeement of you, this could turn ugly.

8. TLmac55

TLmac55 Well-Known Member

Honestly who the hell gives a crap. I'm not getting mad at you so don't take this post personal lol but I'm getting sick of all the people complaining about him having his cell phone. It's not like he's sitting in the car in the middle of a pack driving at 200 mph and tweeting about how his car is running. the cars were stopped on the back stretch FOR 2 HOURS! It was actually pretty sick that he was tweeting giving ppl updates and taking pics of himself and the other drivers chatting it up.

I even heard guys on espn today trying to compare it to a basketball player playing with his cell phone in his pocket and tweeting during a timeout. -__- not even close to being the same situation. it's loud as hell in the cars and you have to have 1000000000% of your attention focusing on what your doing. hmm let me see a 2 hour+ delay and a 30 sec timeout..... Yea same thing.... :-/ c.c :-/ c.c

9. 24mber44

24mber44 Well-Known Member

If two-car drafting doesn't cause such a danger, why "stipulate" it be limited? And there's no reason to point up a simple spelling mistake inbold letters, makes you look bad. Just saying. I just wanted to point out the contradiction you continue to make in your own words.

10. Markfan

Markfan Sim Racing Designosaur

The wing never caused the cars to fly, that was all due to the body shape of the COT, itself. There will still be similar blowovers regardless if there is a spoiler or a wing.

Let's assume that the wing is bolted on tightly. What's going to happen first: is the wing going to be able to tow more than a ton through the air, or would the wing and decklid fly off from the sheer force?

The air was in fact rushing underneath the whole entire car.

It's kind of unfair to use that as an example. The lead lap cars are on the outside on the restart, while there are only three lapped cars on the inside. Of course it's going to be mostly single-file for less than 6 laps after that. Unlike today, where it's double-file on restarts, lapped traffic back then was taken to the inside, making double-file racing more likely on green flag runs than on caution-riddled races.

That part of the race was the longest anyone lead in that. After that, other than a streak where Dale Jr. led for 12 laps, no one led more than 5 in a row from lap 81 to lap 126:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CidVKO80uS0]2006 Daytona 500 - Part 10 of 21 - YouTube[/ame]

I wasn't denying that they go single-file (especially early in the race), but close racing was a lot more common than you were making it out to be.

Don't you think that 15 years is a little extreme? After all, NASCAR had pack racing like this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAzgTS7N--Q]2006 UAW Ford 500 Part 4 - YouTube[/ame]

Right after Talladega was repaved. It was a driver mindset last night, not the racing track.

11. 4WideRacing

4WideRacing Well-Known Member

After reading through the last few pages of this thread my head hurts.

I believe one of the reasons why last night's race ending didn't have great passing is that the drivers were unsure of what the patch would do and they were getting tired and just wanted to be done.

12. moppenheimer

moppenheimer #Murica

I know these are played out, but I thought it was appropriate.
    [​IMG]

9 people like this.
  13. nascarfreak88

nascarfreak88 Resident hater of playoofs

Agreed. They spent about 49 hours in race mode. Hell I at that point I wouldn't care if it was the Daytona 5o0 or some rinky dink dirt race. I'd just want to get it done.

14. David24

David24 Paint Crew Paint Crew

Don't worry, he pulled that number out of his "where the sun don't shine" hole.

Well it's not like that happens every race. I thought it was cool he sent a picture from inside the car during the red flag. It gave us a first person view of what it's like to be sitting in the car. At Daytona. During the Daytona 500. Can't get any closer than that unless you are a driver, and that's why I thought it was cool. I've been thinking about it today and that was probably the most enjoyable red flags I've ever seen. Couldn't get any better seeing all the drivers out of their environment joking around having fun on the track and at some times interacting with the fans and running to porta-potties lol

I've come to realize that stick and ball sports reporters/announcers and such shouldn't quit their day job. When they talk about racing it's like listening to someone speak a different language. Jim Rome is a prime example (d-bag too)

15. The Captain

The Captain Well-Known Member Banned

Sadly, Brad Daugherty was the one who made the Twitter comments. Yup, a NASCAR personality on ESPN said that there's no place for social media in professional sports even though Keselowski was parked and not going anywhere anytime soon.

16. David24

David24 Paint Crew Paint Crew

[​IMG]

17. 4WideRacing

4WideRacing Well-Known Member

Seeing into the "behind the scenes" is what makes racing (Nascar in particular) the greatest sport!

18. celticfang

celticfang Waffle addict

IMO Brad K did tweet when he was stopped, that was the right thing to do. Listening to ESPN the phone was a leftover from testing, I just hope Brad won't overuse it. Brad D is wrong, if there's no place, why did BK's twitter followers skyrocket, why do the fans interact with the drivers? There is nothing wring with a driver or a team having a Twitter/FB/whatever profile and interacting, it's a new era for the sport. ESPN could be smart (very unlikely) and follow the social crowd.

19. dalejrgamer

dalejrgamer $9.99/mo

Speaking from a guy that generally hates Twitter with a burning passion, Brad Keselowski knows the time and place for everything. A long red flag period is a good time and place to check up on Twitter/make tweets.

Had he used Twitter under caution, then we have a problem.

20. TLmac55

TLmac55 Well-Known Member

Exactly. I just don't understand the big deal. Btw B Kes gained over 150,000 followers over night! You tell me that something like that isn't good for the sport!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.