Updated

2012 Summer Olympics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fisha695

Esteemed Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Made this for over at Eutechnyx, figured I'd post it here too.

Event Info
  • 10,000+ Athletes
  • 302 Events
  • 204 Nations
  • 26 Sports Disciplines
  • 19 Days
  • Motto: "Inspire a Generation"
  • Host City: London, England, United Kingdom

Participating Nations

{Click4Bigger}

Event Schedule

US Broadcast Schedule

I was gonna list it all but that would be way to much so click on the logo to go to the NBC page with the coverage details. All coverage in the USA is on the NBC family of networks.

Venues

{Click4Bigger}

Official Theme Song
Survival by Muse
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66molzUEkWI]Muse - Survival - YouTube[/ame]

Official Links
London 2012 Website
London 2012 Facebook
London 2012 Twitter
London 2012 Youtube
NBC Olympics Website
NBC Olympics Facebook
NBC Olympics Twitter
NBC Olympics Youtube
Team USA Website
Team USA Facebook
Team USA Twitter
Team USA Youtube
Team Great Britain Website
Team Great Britain Facebook
Team Great Britain Twitter
Team Great Britain Youtube
Team Canada Website
Team Canada Facebook
Team Canada Twitter
Team Canada Youtube

The Captain

Premier Senior Member
Reaction score
Thread needs some of this. I get goosebumps the first time I turn on an Olympic broadcast and hear those trumpets.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IizWc4cJwbw&feature=related]Olympic Anthem - Bugler's Dream" - composed by Leo Arnaud - YouTube[/ame]

celticfang

Waffle addict
SRD Member
Reaction score
As much as I want the Games to be a success (and they will be), London just isn't ready for them at all, I'm concerned about the effects after the games.

Fisha695

Esteemed Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Opening Ceremonies on Tape-Delay tonight on NBC at 7:30pm Eastern with a repeat around 2:30am Eastern.

Also..
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ii2gt0yJcE]Funny or Die: Olympic Trials with Kurt Angle - YouTube[/ame]
XD(y)

EDIT: Since NBC refuses to show it live in the USA here is the BBC coverage of the Opening Ceremony
Olympics Opening Ceremony Countdown Live Stream Online

Last edited:

tipptruck

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
This means I do not watch tv for 2 weeks. Sorry I really hate the games. Not because they are doing what I can not do. But I have never viewed the games has a spectator sport. Sorry the events bore me. I do respect the people that do what they do thought.

I heard last night on attack of the show. That ticket holders can not post pictures to social media sites. I do not know what will happen if they do. But what will they do if they do.

Pabig

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Very impressive ceremony so far.

Fisha695

Esteemed Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
That ticket holders can not post pictures to social media sites.
That's kind of true but not really true. The ticket policy states;
Images, video and sound recordings of the Games taken by a Ticket Holder cannot be used for any purpose other than for private and domestic purposes and a Ticket Holder may not license, broadcast or publish video and/or sound recordings, including on social networking websites and the internet more generally, and may not exploit images, video and/or sound recordings for commercial purposes under any circumstances, whether on the internet or otherwise, or make them available to third parties for commercial purposes.

That is pretty much standard practice for all big entertainment events, it's basically saying you can't profit or use for commercial purposes any images/videos you take without the permission of the events organizers.

There are also 4 pages of "Social Media Rules" for participants in the games.
IOC Social Media Blogging and Internet Guidelines-London

Some of those I think are kind of overreacting though on one hand I see the spirit behind them as the IOC is afraid that Athletes are going to use Social Media to get around the ban on Athletes wearing Sponsorship logos.

Fisha695

Esteemed Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
So I always thought I was rather good at World Geography...... Yeah no. l0l

I mean Bhutan, Burkina Faso, Comoros, and I'm sure many more as the night goes on. ????

SBJR7

SRD Member
Reaction score
I am a fan of shot putting, and disc throwing. Not a huge fan of the games other then that, however, good-luck to all competing.

The Captain

Premier Senior Member
Reaction score
The fireworks with Pink Floyd's "Eclipse" was insane. Favorite moment of the night.

moppenheimer

#Murica
SRD Member
Reaction score
The Men's Cycling Road Race that the guy from Kazakhstan won, was terrific. Best event of the day by far.

Fisha695

Esteemed Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
SMH.....
telegraph.co.uk said:
The flame, a symbol of the Olympic movement which is supposed to burn for the entirety of the Olympic Games, went out in the stadium on Sunday evening, with witnesses reporting seeing it unlit at 11.14pm.

Olympic organisers have now confirmed it was extinguished to allow staff to move the cauldron to another part of the venue over the weekend.

The revelation that the flame had to be extinguished in order to move the cauldron will add to the controversy over the location of the flame. Critics have said it should have been placed where it would be seen by spectators who did not have tickets to the main stadium.

Jackie Brock-Doyle, director of communications for the London Olympics organisers, told AFP: “The cauldron has been put out while we move it to another part of the stadium.”

She added that the flame would be kept burning in a lantern used during the torch relay until the cauldron was relit later on Monday.

The flame has already been accidentally extinguished during the build-up to the London 2012 Games, after a torch malfunctioned on day three of its journey around Britain.

The flame, which was being carried through Great Torrington, Devon, on badminton player David Follett's wheelchair went out and had to be relit mid-relay.

At the time, a spokesman for Locog explained: “The flame went out due to a malfunctioning burner.

“It is not uncommon for a flame to go out and this can happen for a number of reasons, for example, in extreme winds.

“We keep the mother flame alight in specially designed miners' lanterns so if the flame does go out for some reason we re-light it from the source of the flame.”

A gust of wind also blew out the flame during a ceremony in Olympia, Greece while an actress playing a high priestess re-enacted a scene from the ancient Olympics.

The flame finally reached the Olympic Stadium safely for the opening ceremony on Friday evening, with seven young athletes performing the final stage of its journey.

The youngsters, who represented the legacy of the Games as athletes of the future, lit the elaborate cauldron, which comprised of 240 separate flames which rose up to make one.

The final position of the cauldron has already attracted some criticism after it was disclosed it would not be visible outside the stadium.

The task of keeping the flame alight has required a mammoth effort from organisers, with special arrangements being made for keeping it burning while on planes, speedboats and on the top of mountains.

In the event that it was extinguished while on its journey around Britain, a “motherflame” was kept nearby to relight it.

This motherflame is said to be “descended” from the “real” Olympic flame in Athens, Greece.

Also Day 2 Medal Count

Frigus5

Proud Fan of Romain Grosjean
SRD Member
Reaction score
The Men's Cycling Road Race that the guy from Kazakhstan won, was terrific. Best event of the day by far.

Yep. Alexander Vinokourov. I was surprised with that one. Thought for sure Cavendish would take it. But glad for Vino. Looking forward to the track races. Wonder if Wiggo is entered in any of though. He's had success in them. Wondering if he can do it again.

dalejrgamer

$9.99/mo
SRD Member
Reaction score
And now, time for Shieky Baby's list of rejected Olympic events, edited for language cleanliness (at least PG-13 level, but even Iron Shiek will ruin that):
Beating the **** out of the Mel Gibson and eat the Shish kebob at same time
Having sex with the tiger woods wife while she play golf
Kicking hulk hogan in his raisin balls the hardest
staring at ultimate warrior put the paint on his ass while hulk hogan gets kicked in the balls with my spike boot
The Michael phelps smoke kush vs the snoop lion or the @SnoopDogg
Taking **** on Mel Gibson's grave

Status
Not open for further replies.