Updated

2013 Dakar Rally Race Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fisha695

Esteemed Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score

As usual the major International Motorsports Season kicks off with the Dakar Rally. This years race will be the 34th running & the 5th consecutive one to take place in South America.

Schedule & Route

**Distance listed in Kilometers**

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99ND_T6CpRI]2013 Dakar Route - YouTube[/ame]

Entry List
Bikes = 183 Riders
Quads = 39 Riders
Cars = 157 Vehicles (308 Drivers & Co-Drivers)
Trucks = 75 Vehicles (215 Drivers & Co-Drivers)
~~Total = 454 Entrants (745 Competitors)~~
**Remember that does not include the countless support vehicles/personel for the teams, media & race organizers)

Number of Competitors (Riders/Drivers & Co-Drivers) for the 4 areas that most users on this forum fall under.
Australia = 14
Canada = 3
Great Britain = 22
United States = 5

I'm not sure if Great Britain (listed as GBR) includes the entire UK in that as it does for the Olympics or not. I searched for SCO, IRL, NIR & WAL and didn't find any results, so not sure if that means no entrants or if they're just classified under GBR.

Detailed Entry Lists can be found at the links below
-- Bikes @ competitors list: Dakar
-- Quads @ competitors list: Dakar
-- Cars @ competitors list: Dakar
-- Trucks @ competitors list: Dakar

US TV Coverage
NBCSports Network will once again provide US TV Coverage.
Sun 1/6 -- 2:30AM-3:00AM
Mon 1/7 -- 2:30AM-3:00AM
Tue 1/8 -- 2:00AM-2:30AM
Wed 1/9 -- 2:00AM-2:30AM & 7:00PM-7:30PM
Thu 1/10 -- 2:00AM-2:30AM
Fri 1/11 -- 2:00AM-2:30AM
Sat 1/12 -- 2:00AM-2:30AM
Sun 1/13 -- 2:00AM-2:30AM
Mon 1/14 -- 2:00AM-2:30AM & 7:00PM-7:30PM
Tue 1/15 -- TBA
Wed 1/16 -- TBA
Thu 1/17 -- TBA
Fri 1/18 -- TBA
Sat 1/19 -- TBA
Sun 1/20 -- TBA
**All Times Eastern, Check Local Listings**
***TV Listings only go 14 days in advance***
Find NBCSN in your area: NBC Sports TV Listings & Livestream Schedule - Sports- NBC Sports
NBCSN Twitter: https://twitter.com/NBCSN

Links
Official website of the Dakar rally raid
http://www.twitter.com/dakarofficial
http://www.facebook.com/dakar

tipptruck

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Every year since they moved it. I wish they would drop the dakar name. It will never be in the region again. So why keep it. That would be like holding a race at a other track. But calling it the Daytona 500.

I wish we could see this on tv live. But I know that will never happen.

celticfang

Waffle addict
SRD Member
Reaction score
GBR is whole of the UK btw.

Then again the overall entry counts have been dropping the past few years haven't they? I'd rather see the race return to Africa, provided it's safe

tipptruck: Eurosport should be showing it live I think, I'll check when I get up and confirm that they should do, not sure though

Fisha695

Esteemed Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Every year since they moved it. I wish they would drop the dakar name. It will never be in the region again. So why keep it. That would be like holding a race at a other track. But calling it the Daytona 500.
Or like keeping the NASCAR brand name but racing cars that have absolutely nothing in common with their actual Stock road going counterparts.......c.c

Fisha695

Esteemed Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
So the Dakar Smart car had to withdraw their entry because they could not get enough funding together to make it to Peru in time for the race. That means it'll be atleast another year before we see this in competition.

tipptruck

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
My god that is ugly. The redneck in me sees a ute mated with a smart car.

+

Do they know they could have just bought a ute. Then thrown on a smart car body. At lest I know what I will do with a smart car in a few years.

Fisha695

Esteemed Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score

Fisha695

Esteemed Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Don't know if it's gonna be the entire race or just the start + live cut-ins but starting at 5:30am Eastern time on January 5th you can watch Dakar coverage at TV en vivo

There will also supposedly be streaming video @ Televisión en vivo y todos los programas del grupo ATV | Play - TuTeve

They'll be in Spanish (and you might have to turn Adblock off on that page for the second one to work, I did), but it's better then nothing.

Fisha695

Esteemed Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Tragic past few days for the Rally.

Wednesday
Dakar Rally organizers report a support vehicle and two taxis were involved in an accident on January 9. The support vehicle collided head-on with a taxi carrying six people, while the second taxi, carrying four people, overturned several times in an attempt to avoid the accident. Seven people were injured and are now being treated in a hospital in Tacna, Peru, including three occupants of the support vehicle. Tragically, the driver and one passenger in the first taxi died of injuries sustained in the crash. Three local ambulances, a fire engine and local police all responded to the scene.

Peruvian police have also supplied a helicopter to transport the seriously injured from Tacna to a hospital in Peru. Local law enforcement has begun an investigation into the cause of the accident.
The support vehicle was that of the team made of wounded veterans from the UK (mainly) & USA.

Friday was the first Motorsports Competitor death of the 2013 season.
French motorcyclist Thomas Bourgin has been killed in the Dakar Rally when he collided with a Chilean police car.

Race officials say the incident occurred as Bourgin was travelling from Calama on the Chilean side of the Andes to the start of the seventh stage in Argentina on Friday. They say the police car was going in the opposite direction.

He was 25.

Bourgin was in 68th place in his first Dakar Rally.

He's the third person to be killed this week in connection with the rally, after two people died when their taxi collided with a Dakar Rally support vehicle late Wednesday in Peru, near the border with Chile.

tipptruck

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Was that the same injured vet team that was on top gear a few years ago? I remember there goal was to run Dakar some time.

tipptruck

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Well its good to see them reach there goals. Kind of sad they reach there goal. Then some thing tragic happens.

Fisha695

Esteemed Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
2013 Dakar Champions
Bike: Cyril Despres (France) Red Bull KTM
Quad: Marcos Patronelli (Argentina) Yamaha Racing Team Argentina
Car: Stephane Peterhansel (France) Monster Mini
Truck: Eduard Nikolaev (Russia) Red Bull Kamaz

Depres is now a 5x Dakar champ.
Patronelli is now a 2x Dakar champ.
Peterhansel is now a 11x Dakar champ. (6x Bike, 5x Car)
Nikolaev is now a 2x Dakar champ. (1st as a driver)

Pabig

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Next year it should finally be Robby's turn. He was plagued by bad luck yet again this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.