Latest resources

NXS20 3D Studio Max Scene MattyO
NXS20 3D Studio Max Scene for Max8 and above.
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Downloads
Updated
NXS20 Car Viewer Files MattyO
5.00 star(s) 2 ratings
Downloads
Updated
NXS20 Templates 2048 x 2048 MattyO
2048 x 2048 Templates in PSD format.
5.00 star(s) 2 ratings
Downloads
Updated
32 Corey LaJoie 2020 Schluter Systems Ford Mustang JNieder51188
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Downloads
Updated
2020 NXS17 Xfinity batch 3 canadienhits
24 Xfinity cars from the 2020 season.
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings
Downloads
Updated

2017 NXS Contigs

S. Yogurt

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Good evening folks,
I took about two years off from painting and just got the bug again to get going. Just got the templates for the 2017 NXS mod (fantastic by the way) and discovered that templates no longer come with the contigs built in as a layer. I see the contig decal sheets in the file library, but I find them hard to use. I really liked the simplicity of the old templates, because I never screwed around much with contingency sponsors. If there's a shortcut way to assemble them into their correct place without spending an hour placing each one individually, please share it with me. I'm sure I'm just missing something simple. Thanks!

Kyle

crazyboy335

#50in07
Banned
Reaction score
Here's how I do it manually:
  1. Place the according ones on the left and set them up like the real thing.
  2. Copy them, flip them over vertically so they align like the left contigs, but backwards.
  3. Select each decal by its exact border and flip it horizontally.

S. Yogurt

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Here's how I do it manually:
  1. Place the according ones on the left and set them up like the real thing.
  2. Copy them, flip them over vertically so they align like the left contigs, but backwards.
  3. Select each decal by its exact border and flip it horizontally.
Thanks. Seems so much more tedious than it used to be.

MattyO

Kinder Gentler Blowhard
Admin
Reaction score
You've got to be kidding me dude. Is it really that hard to place the contgencies where you want them on the car?

So what if it takes you an hour. Do you know how long it takes to make an accurate replica of a car? Way longer than an hour. Come on man.

S. Yogurt

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
You've got to be kidding me dude. Is it really that hard to place the contgencies where you want them on the car?

So what if it takes you an hour. Do you know how long it takes to make an accurate replica of a car? Way longer than an hour. Come on man.
Fictional and personal paints don't require each contingency to be in a custom location - I'm basically just asking if there was a way to add the contigs in the user-friendly way they were before. I guess that answer would be a no, but I'm still open to other's solutions.

Saber61

SRD Member
Reaction score
Fictional and personal paints don't require each contingency to be in a custom location - I'm basically just asking if there was a way to add the contigs in the user-friendly way they were before. I guess that answer would be a no, but I'm still open to other's solutions.
I think if you don't want to mess around with them too much. Spend the time creating and positioning the layers on the "Template" file you have. That way they are always there and already perfectly positioned every time you want to paint. It took me about an hour and now I just make minor modifications to "Winner" stickers and Pole Awards etc.

Also if you want to re-use the layers on another car that you maybe already have painted simply select all of them. Hold shift, click and drag them over to that open PSD and they should appear exactly in the same position you had them on the original template. It's worth spending the time putting it all on the BER Template first. 1 hour spent = many saved every time you go to start up a new paint.

Also @Alan Harkleroad Contingency sheets (provided for free!) in the resources section are second to none. I use them as a repository and add new or custom ones to the PSD so I've got it all in one place.

Hope this helps a bit :)

S. Yogurt

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
I think if you don't want to mess around with them too much. Spend the time creating and positioning the layers on the "Template" file you have. That way they are always there and already perfectly positioned every time you want to paint. It took me about an hour and now I just make minor modifications to "Winner" stickers and Pole Awards etc.

Also @Alan Harkleroad Contingency sheets (provided for free!) in the resources section are second to none. I use them as a repository and add new or custom ones to the PSD so I've got it all in one place.

Hope this helps a bit :)
Alan's work is wonderful - it is nice to have the tiny little details like the winner stickers! I will sit down this weekend and get them all where I want them, and then just save that layer onto the template. Thanks for the tip! I was so focused on this one paint, I hadn't thought about just doing it once on the template. Stupid of me. Thank you!

GurtonBuster

I'm in the business of misery
SRD Member
Reaction score
Spend the time creating and positioning the layers on the "Template" file you have. That way they are always there and already perfectly positioned every time you want to paint.
I do the same thing. Set all the conts for each team on the template and created multiple groups and just turn off/on the groups that I needed for each car. That little bit of annoying work up front made painting so much easier in the long run.

S. Yogurt

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Also on this topic - the decals transferred directly to the 2048 x 2048 NXS templates are a bit oversized (at least to my eyes), does anyone know the correct scale factor? I was just eyeballing it. Brought it down about 10-15%, and it looks fine, but I'd like to get them right. Thanks gentlemen.

Saber61

SRD Member
Reaction score
Also on this topic - the decals transferred directly to the 2048 x 2048 NXS templates are a bit oversized (at least to my eyes), does anyone know the correct scale factor? I was just eyeballing it. Brought it down about 10-15%, and it looks fine, but I'd like to get them right. Thanks gentlemen.
I think it depends on how many decals you actually want to utilize. I go with Alan's original size as I used a limited set. Similar to what Jimmie Johnson uses. But the more you add the smaller they need to get to accomodate it all. I think they look great bigger :).

Alan Harkleroad

SRD Site Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Well when i originally did these core ones it wss for the cup12 bodies which had a much larger door section. On the Gen6, Nxs17, and truck mods the uvwraps are smaller than what we had in cup12. So they are bigger. I assemble them first then scale to fit once i have them grouped up.

S. Yogurt

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Well when i originally did these core ones it wss for the cup12 bodies which had a much larger door section. On the Gen6, Nxs17, and truck mods the uvwraps are smaller than what we had in cup12. So they are bigger. I assemble them first then scale to fit once i have them grouped up.
That makes a lot of sense. I ended up grouping them and scaling them as you said. Thanks for your contributions with those by the way. Excellent work!