Downloads
Updated

2018 Formula One Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalejr88rox

Raise hell, praise Dale, burn down Panera Bread
Reaction score
I don't know if I agree with the sentiment that open wheel should be dangerous. I agree that drivers should know what they're getting into and accept that risk, but no motorsport should be inherently dangerous by design. I think a form of cockpit protection is needed, but something similar to what Indycar is trialing, not the halo which just causes more problems than it solves

Saan Anguish

Inflictor of Pain
Staff member
Reaction score
Why not do something similar to Top Fuel with their cockpit? I'm sure they could find a way to make it fit the body style and still be easy to maneuver in and out of surely.

sadlerfan21

SRD Member
Reaction score
Two more car launches from today.

Mercedes:
DWpGGjrX4AAth9X.jpg
DWpGLcFXcAAs8uY.jpg

Ferrari:
SF-71H-trequarti.jpg
SF-71H-Fronte.jpg

lays

SRD Member
Reaction score
Not a huge fan of the Ferrari for some reason. Mercedes looks amazing. Renault is my favorite so far.

Chevellion

Former SRD Cup League Director
SRD Member
Reaction score
Ferrari just looks so...blank without the Scudiera or Santander branding.

Tim2488

Everything Bacon.
SRD Member
Reaction score
The Halo just looks point blank retarded. Could have went the Indycar route with the windshield, but nope HALO

ShadowKnight508

Esteemed Senior Member
Staff member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Look how ridiculous the HALO is from the driver's perspective:

Chevellion

Former SRD Cup League Director
SRD Member
Reaction score
That McLaren screams "backmarker." Hope they have better luck this season.

MillsLayne

2x Champ, guys.
SRD Member
Reaction score
That orange and blue livery is simple and great. The blue especially pops.

aRKey Designs

SRD Member
Reaction score
On this discussion everybody seems to forget, that humans got 2 eyes next to each other, not 1 central like a cyclops. The drivers just watch left and right on the bar and concentrate on the track behind. so the never noticed the bar.

It's just like the edges of glasses or a central windshield wipers.

Even in nascars there are bars on the windshield and no one bothers because of sight

sadlerfan21

SRD Member
Reaction score
That doesn't mean that its not going to be unseen. It's still going to impede vision because when you need to look straight ahead, there is a giant bar in the middle of the way. The main problem is its a knee-jerk reaction to a problem that doesn't happen all that often and doesn't protect against instances that do. Not to mention it will hamper the performance of the cars, giving more of an edge to Mercedes and Ferrari. Not to mention it just looks ugly.

It's open wheel open cockpit racing. Its dangerous and everyone involved knows the risk. Hence all the zeros at the end of the paycheck. I'm all for taking away the unneeded danger of the sport, but it should never come at the cost of performance or even just half ass what its supposed to do.

frow78

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
That doesn't mean that its not going to be unseen. It's still going to impede vision because when you need to look straight ahead, there is a giant bar in the middle of the way. The main problem is its a knee-jerk reaction to a problem that doesn't happen all that often and doesn't protect against instances that do. Not to mention it will hamper the performance of the cars, giving more of an edge to Mercedes and Ferrari. Not to mention it just looks ugly.

It's open wheel open cockpit racing. Its dangerous and everyone involved knows the risk. Hence all the zeros at the end of the paycheck. I'm all for taking away the unneeded danger of the sport, but it should never come at the cost of performance or even just half ass what its supposed to do.
Exactly. It's horrendous to look at, unnecessary, and not even close to be 100% effective in the accidents which it was built to prevent. I too am amazed that FIA could not create a protection device in the 3+ years they were given that was safer and better looking. Most F1 fans are taking this as badly as NASCAR fans took the Chase/Playoffs/whatever it's called now, so this certainly seems to be a questionable decision at best by FIA and Liberty.

Status
Not open for further replies.