1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE

2018 NASCAR Silly Season *Rumors and Speculation*

Discussion in 'NASCAR Discussion' started by nj9703, Jun 2, 2017.

1. JNieder51188

JNieder51188 Active Member

CGR and JTG as a satellite team would work well and maybe Front Row could grow to do it. The problem is if its anyone other than Dodge, I fear NASCAR could cause a bigger riff with fans with manufacturers like a Honda or Nissan.

2. ShadowKnight508

ShadowKnight508 SRD Cup Series Driver - #81 Ford Fusion

Shame to see the whole Dodge return talks/speculations fizzle out with them most likely not returning. I was really hoping to see them return around 2019/2020 (or whenever the new Gen-7 car was arriving) and be back in NASCAR after leaving in 2012. Personally, I would not mind seeing Honda or Nissan making the move into NASCAR since it would be another manufacture investing cash into the sport and we would get new cars (Accord/Civic for Honda, the Altima for Nissan) on-track mixing it up with Toyota, Chevy, and Ford.

Just wish Pontiac (which went away from NASCAR after the 2003 Winston Cup Series season ended and ceased to exist after GM pulled the plug on it during the Great Recession) was still around. God I miss seeing those Pontiac Grand Prix cars (especially the ones from 1997 to 2002) out on track.

3. MrDude68

MrDude68 Occasional Backwards Driver

Frankly, that would be silly. I really don't think that would be an issue but I guess you never know.

4. RacerXero84

RacerXero84 Melter of Snowflakes

Fans can be illogically fickle. There are people still in a row about Toyota, despite it being more American in terms of manufacturing than either GM or Ford. A Honda or Nissan will likely trigger those same people, despite the fact that Toyota has dumped money into the sport and fully supported their teams, which, if nothing else, helps the sport grow and improves competition (so long as the others step up). NASCAR has said they are looking for OEM's to be involved in the same way Toyota has been, which is tough to do, but possible for some.

5. frow78

frow78 Well-Known Member

Bottom line is that costs are crazy inflated and need to be brought down.

nj9703, GDP Racing, AMLNet49 and 5 others like this.
  6. rwarchol

rwarchol Active Member

Of course NASCAR wants other OEM's to come in like Toyota did. Toyota pours money into their teams, the sport, and into tracks, which is a good thing. I think NASCAR has to find their identity. Granted they haven't run "stock" cars in a long time but at least Chevy has had a car that has a real life V8 counterpart 8 of the last 11 years. Now we're talking about adding OEMs that have no V8 cars in production at all. Does NASCAR switch to running V6's like they did in the Busch series in the 90's? It would be more stock than what we have now. Everyone is all about slowing the cars down anyways. NASCAR has always talked about how favorite drivers are influential with sponsor purchases. Every NASCAR fan does it to a certain extent. I purposely don't drink Miller Lite because of BK, while I'm sure there are a lot of people who buy it specially because of him. Do you tell the OEM's, hey, you're spending millions a year on R&D on concept cars, you can at least make 500 production RWD V8 sedans, even if it means a new nameplate. I think the Gen 7 cars will be a huge indication of which direction they want the sport to head in.

7. AMLNet49

AMLNet49 Well-Known Member

Who's gonna build the engine? That's why Dodge isn't coming back

8. ayrwolf

ayrwolf Well-Known Member

With the way Honda engines gernade on a regular basis in F1 and INDYCAR it would take a couple boatloads of cash to convince a top team and driver to even consider to switch

9. S. Yogurt

S. Yogurt Well-Known Member

I always thought the hate for foreign manufacturers was really dumb. Toyota has invested millions into every aspect of the sport. It's not like foreign manufacturers never ran back in the day either, wasn't there some Jaguars in the field in the 60's? I'd fully support other OEMs coming in, even ones I dislike. As for "stock" cars, they haven't been that for decades. Toyota's engines don't represent anything, but they're made by Toyota, which is good enough for me. As long as the car looks like a Camry, it's good enough for me. The Fusion also doesn't have a V8 model. Whatever Chevy has cooked up for the reveal next month likely won't either. No problem with that. I just hope and pray that we get to keep H-pattern gearboxes and pushrod V-8s with the Gen 7.

10. MattSRD28

MattSRD28 SRD Pick'em Series Commissioner Moderator

Whatever fans wouldn't like Honda in Nascar, and don't like Toyota being in Nascar because they "aren't American" are unnecessarily xenophobic and ignorant. I would have no problem at all if they made good on their threats and never attended or watched another Nascar event.

Having fewer ignorant and xenophobic fans would not be a problem, it would be an improvement!

11. RacerXero84

While I agree with this statement.... it almost sounds like the extreme-lefts (re: so-called AntiFa) battle cry when you use 'xenophobic'.....

12. S. Yogurt

S. Yogurt Well-Known Member

I think the point being made was that a lot of fans just hate manufacturers because they're not from here, which is a generalization in a bit of bad taste. Certainly there is a lot of hatred towards other countries and their products. That is a discussion for another forum though, yikes. That could go south quickly :p

13. RacerXero84

LOL I know, I just never personally understood the disdain for foreign auto manufactures. That being said.... why not BMW? Especially given the extreme manufacturing they do here, especially in SC (which is expanding). I think they could pump some serious money into it and TBH, I'd find it entertaining lol

S. Yogurt likes this.
  14. thefaeway

thefaeway Well-Known Member

I feel like manufacturers like BMW wouldn't ever consider NASCAR because you don't sit a BMW next to a Camry and think they are comparable in any fashion. If I had the time I would at least see if I could find the differences in engine and performance levels in the road cars. It's the same reason I would be surprised to see Audi or Mercedes but 100% unfazed if I saw a Jetta, Altima or Hyundai.

15. Phoenix

Phoenix Enter the Zone

There aren't enough assholes in NASCAR to drive BMWs anyway

Bradfan4ever and bvc like this.
  16. ahspencer01

ahspencer01 Don't Lift

Not sure if this belonged in its own thread or not, if it doesn't feel free to move it to the silly season thread. But there was a very questionable tweet from someone who was in the garage area this weekend.
    z.PNG

RacerXero84 likes this.
  17. thefaeway

thefaeway Well-Known Member

Oh, I think you're very wrong about that. I guarantee we could get two or three full teams. ;)

18. Bradfan4ever

Bradfan4ever The Keselowski Guru

Jim Noble as stated in the last part of my post.

19. Bradfan4ever

dont forget they like to stop to merge on the interstate... SMH

20. Bradfan4ever

Penske's Xfinity #22 ride. This has been a rumor for awhile now. which follows the other rumor of Discount Tire moving up to Cup with Blaney