1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

2019 IndyCar Discussion

Discussion in 'Auto Racing Discussion' started by Spike, Jan 11, 2019.

1. nascarfreak88

nascarfreak88 Sarcasmus pessimus

FTFY

2. USSTalladega

USSTalladega Making a comeback!

eh I don't know about that. Fontana was wild as hell the last few years. Maybe too wild.

joeykraus19 likes this.
  3. nascarfreak88

I feel. Was there at the s/f line during the last race, and honestly for a little bit thought Briscoe was gonna wind up in my lap. Still though, with this aero configuration, I would think Fontana and/or Michigan would be fantastic without being too pack-race-y.

4. MillsLayne

MillsLayne Told to stay in his ****ing motorhome.

nascarfreak88 likes this.
  5. nascarfreak88

BÖRK!

That's about the last place I expected him to be. Other than Hinch, no one else was really in the rumor mill to wind up at Ganassi, and really Ganassi wasn't really expected to open up a third car to begin with. So good for him.

As much as I hope Marcus can do well next season, I'm iffy on whether he'll perform better than he did this year. Ganassi's third cars haven't really fared too well outside of some pretty good performances on behalf of Briscoe. His second car even wasn't great until Felix took it over this year.

6. MillsLayne

I'm not exactly thinking he'll be running up front that much in the 8, either, but I'm happy that he's staying in IndyCar as he seems like he really enjoys being here and anytime a former F1 driver, a lot like Rossi, comes over and loves it, is great for the series.

7. FloridaFan88

FloridaFan88 Well-Known Member

8. nascarfreak88

Wat? Zak just confirmed Hinch a few days ago and even before that kept saying he wants a veteran around to help a new driver. Now he's rideless?

I'm gonna sit back and watch how this plays out. Zak has been a big talker about IndyCar, and McLaren have been a big saga of saying things that don't happen.

BUT, if true, and that's a major "if," what an absolutely phenomenal place to start for Pato and Askew. Would be pretty bummed about Hinch, he's a decent driver that Honda love. There really isn't anywhere that he would fit in, at least right now. If absolutely nothing else in IndyCar I wouldn't mind seeing him in an Acura over in IMSA.

9. MrDude68

MrDude68 Occasional Backwards Driver

If this was where they were going, they should have released Hinch a lot sooner. Now where will he fit in next season, with so many of the pieces having already fallen into place?

10. nascarfreak88

Coyne has a car open, as does MSR. But Coyne will probably go with Fettuccine again, and MSR really like Harvey so that's probably out. I don't see anything in IndyCar unless some car is spawned out of the ether.

11. nascarfreak88

USSTalladega and ThatOneShredder like this.
  12. FloridaFan88

It seems that everything Roger Penske touches turns to gold. I'm confident he'll do a good job with this. As long as there's no playoffs and no guaranteed spots at the Indy 500, I'm all on-board with this. He's been through it all and I'm eager to see what IndyCar will look like in his vision.

ChadVSO likes this.
  13. MillsLayne

As much as he loves IndyCar racing and IMS, they're both in great hands BUT, guaranteed starting spots for Indy will probably happen and I also can't help but think about the huge conflict of interest here. I'm conflicted.

mtblillie likes this.
  14. nj9703

nj9703 Very Stable Genius

Penske will no longer be a strategist for his team and I believe I read that he will continue rules enforcement with the current crew, which he will not include himself on. My only worry is that he sells it to NASCAR years from now for a big profit.

15. nascarfreak88

My initial take:

I think there is nobody else who would be better suited to own the series. The guy lives and breaths IndyCar. And he's at least in part done it before. I wouldn't worry about the conflict of interest bit. Not only has RP partially run CART while dominating (and then very quickly sucking), Tony George ran Vision Racing and is part owner of ECR. Plus he's stepping off the pit box. I think the concern is fairly minimal.

While it was really sad to see Tony George in the presser, I think Penske can do so much to elevate the series that George just couldn't. Namely, George and family never really put much onus or promotion anywhere else outside of the 500. With how good a businessman Penske is, I'm fairly confident he can and will. The things RP was bringing up in the presser already have me at "holy smokes, that's fucking awesome." And RP's promotion game is something else. Just look at the Penske youtube page, with the Penske games and a slew of other stuff. That kind of promotion is something IndyCar desperately needs to get better.

What I am concerned with is bump day. On the one hand, will he give guaranteed entries to help his team? It is possible. Will he realize that since he is now the Indy 500, having more profitable days of qualifying and story lines will help his bottom end more than will helping his race team? Also possible. Its up in the air. I hope guaranteed entries never come back, but we shall see.

I think my main bit of optimism comes from his willingness to take risks now. Double header and Australia certainly seem more likely now. I'd love to see some rules open up too to bring some engine innovation and, dare I say, chassis competition back. Why not? Its a landscape of possibilities.

I just hope he keeps the current staff around. Frye, Miles, and Boles are absolutely fantastic and I want no one else in those roles.

I think that's one of the reasons why he jumped on board. Didn't want his pride and joy to be ruined by the incompetence of NASCAR or some outside conglomerate. Neither option would care and respect as much the Speedway and the series than someone like Penske.

He could be the American Bernie Ecclestone, except not an ass. If not optimistic, I'm definitely interested to see how things go forward for the race track and the series.

16. MrDude68

MrDude68 Occasional Backwards Driver

Wow, this is huge... I can't wait to follow and see what happens!

17. nascarfreak88

In other news, the aeroscreen has received overwhelmingly positive reviews by drivers. The only issue some drivers have been talking about is temperature inside the cockpit getting a little higher than ideal. Otherwise, everyone is resoundingly happy with it.

USSTalladega likes this.
  18. nascarfreak88

USSTalladega and mtblillie like this.
  19. nascarfreak88

20. FloridaFan88

nascarfreak88 likes this.