1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE

AI coming to IRacing

Discussion in 'iRacing.com Motorsports Simulations' started by FastCat, Jan 12, 2018.

1. lays

lays Well-Known Member

I've been in the iRacing community since 2009 and think AI being added will be a great feature for everyone. There have been plenty of times where I am waiting for a race session to start and was wishing there was a way I could practice my restarts. This way, I can do that. I could just keep throwing caution flags out and practice those restarts with the AI. I've also wanted to race but not deal with some of the people who are usually on at the time that I am. Now I could just race against the AI on whichever track I want for as long as I want.

I don't see this taking away from the online racing, but I do see it helping a lot of people who are not confident enough yet to race against others. It also may be a way to get more people into iRacing.

If I were iRacing, I would offer this for free to everyone to try, and if people found it fun enough, they could then sign up and get the real iRacing experience.

FastCat and USSTalladega like this.
  2. USSTalladega

USSTalladega Cruising at Warp 9

Like many this certainly has my interest but the price, content and customization have to be right.

For a one time payment of $50 you get the game(unlimited offline access and no online access) plus the package of your choice which would include all cars from that category and the tracks that are relevant to it. If you want to use vehicles and tracks of another category you gotta buy that package for $25. When a new vehicle or track is added to the package(s) you already bought then you only pay $5 to get it. No annual payments ever. If you want to race online your first years subscription is half the normal price. After that you would of course pay the normal rate. Does that sound fair? I could go for that.

ShadowKnight508 and RacerXero84 like this.
  3. RacerXero84

RacerXero84 Obnoxious old fart

I doubt they will go full stand alone with access to a lot of content. I do (in the distant future) see a stand alone NASCAR-edition. But your outline has a level of merit to it.

Again, it really depends on how they execute this concept and what levels of customization we are offered. Since I own all NASCAR related content already, I'm looking forward to this.

4. Swagger Racing 26

Swagger Racing 26 Well-Known Member

if you could use custom paint schemes for every car let's say in a 40 car NASCAR field so you have all 2018 paint schemes, like NR2003ish
    wow custom career gonna be lit

and this is gonna be a great practice place before you wanna join a online league

starscream24 and RacerXero84 like this.
  5. ShadowKnight508

ShadowKnight508 Lt. Commish - SRD Pick-Em Series

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018 at 2:20 PM
  6. watsonz

watsonz Member

Fuck. If there's a reason to get iRacing, I'll just be racing AI all the damn time. It'll be some good practice.

nascarfan9 and timnsr72 like this.
  7. RacerXero84

timnsr72 likes this.
  8. nj9703

nj9703 Very Stable Genius

And they can kindly fuck off.

ThatOneShredder and Saan Anguish like this.
  9. RacerXero84

iRacing "purists" hate the idea, die-hard nr2003 fans aren't going to go for it.

It's the middle ground (people like me) that they are going after. And judging from opinions around the net, I'd say it's working.

ShadowKnight508 likes this.
  10. nj9703

nj9703 Very Stable Genius

Honestly, it sounds like a good idea. I understand the reason for it, but the subscriptions and things are just too expensive over time for someone that would just want the AI, to run it like a standard racing game you could pick up for PS4 or Xbox.

11. RacerXero84

Agreed. It's stupid expensive if you think about it, especially if they try and push it in-line with their online racing business model.

However, and this is purely business speculation, there is a potential solution: roll out the AI for members. Let those who likely have all the content play around with it.

Roll out an exclusive "offline" package (with membership) that allows drivers to use the AI to race offline with the standard NASCAR content, for a flat rate (say 20 bucks or so).

I'm willing to bet that there are quite a few people that would toss up $50 for a year (new membership sales are awesome), and then $20 for a sim that offers updated NASCAR Racing with most of the bells and whistles as NR2003 (and then some, minus of course, fictional tracks) with updated point systems etc.

Now you get people on the service with AI, they stick around for a year, and maybe play around with the base level content, and they decide they kinda like racing online. Increase in customer base and revenue overall, with minimal capital investment.

ShadowKnight508 and timnsr72 like this.
  12. David24

David24 Paint Crew Paint Crew

Well the hype train just gained more speed for me personally

Still not trying to get my hopes up but it is sounding very promising so far. Just like any new game I will wait until after official release to see what it's all about.

Now remember guys the good thing is that NR2003 isn't going anywhere. We will still be able to drive our 2003 handling gen6 cars that sink into the ground at an inaccurately shaped/modeled track with outdated graphics:)

13. MattyO

MattyO Well-Known Member Admin

If they put out a product with all the tracks the Monster Energy Series races on with the ability to paint up all the cars and can race them offline, this is a major game changer to these forums. I know I'm way behind the curve in supporting other racing sims, but this will be a move by iRacing I can't ignore. I know that's a big IF. And I won't get my hopes up until I get more solid info. But so far so good. This is great for those of us that want superior graphics and high poly tracks and cars.

14. RacerXero84

NR2003 will always have a spot on my harddrive lol
    Too many great tracks/mods to simply discard it.

EDIT: also, since I have all NASCAR content on iRacing, you can bet when they do drop it, I'll be reviewing it for those who are curious.

15. David24

David24 Paint Crew Paint Crew

Hey no doubt same for me too. As long as I have a computer and hardware that can run it with decent quality it will be installed and raced and painted for.

RacerXero84 likes this.
  16. watsonz

watsonz Member

The people who make iRacing need to just capitalize on this and make a separate NASCAR licensed 'video game'. They have all the necessary resources, and they are working on AI. It's all there. Would probably make a small company like 704Games go out of business though.

17. jacobc62

jacobc62 The OG NASCAR Tiger.

Ah, but here's the thing: If iRacing does this and only puts the feature of editing the AI, then 704 can capitalize on the selling point of having more features (such as a detailed Career Mode, Rivals/Allies, etc.) at the sacrifice of having the hyper-realistic physics and driver customization iRacing has.

Think of it as EA vs. Papyrus: Round 2. EA had the features (Career, Allies+Rivals, swapping which driver you're racing in in later titles, etc.) with an arcade-y physics model, while Papyrus made NASCAR games that had little more than a more in-depth simulated physics model with the track/driver customization EA lacked.

USSTalladega and RacerXero84 like this.
  18. RacerXero84

I would be ok with that. It would be a return to the competition that churned out some of the most entertaining NASCAR games to date. If nothing else, iRacing doing this or releasing a stand alone (I highly doubt they would port it to console) would force 704 to step up the features of their games. Healthy competition always benefits the consumer.

DaveO, USSTalladega and nj9703 like this.