5.00 star(s) 2 ratings
Downloads
Updated

AI coming to IRacing

David24

Supreme Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Finally a staff update and a video regarding AI. Not the news I wanted but good things come to those who wait!
AI, this is not to the point we want to release in this build. We considered putting it out in a beta version but opted against that. It already is very fun by all accounts but there is still a few distracting issues that need to be cleaned up. It also just gives us more time to keep making it better overall.

jf1881

Lurker
Reaction score
I can't wait for AI!! Then iRacing will fully transition from being a simulator to a full blown video game! This started with Steam and will now finish with AI. AI might be the end of the line for me as a customer.

How about iRacing stops worrying about gaining as many customers as they can to actually fixing issues with their servers, their tire models, etc.... and keep the simulator a simulator. Add a realistic clutch so the engine actually stalls like real cars. Add GWC finishes. Add the things your TRUE supporters want rather than the next flashy item to attract more scrubs.

JRRacing64

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
I can't wait for AI!! Then iRacing will fully transition from being a simulator to a full blown video game! This started with Steam and will now finish with AI. AI might be the end of the line for me as a customer.

How about iRacing stops worrying about gaining as many customers as they can to actually fixing issues with their servers, their tire models, etc.... and keep the simulator a simulator. Add a realistic clutch so the engine actually stalls like real cars. Add GWC finishes. Add the things your TRUE supporters want rather than the next flashy item to attract more scrubs.
See ya then!

Thunder98

That Nostalgia Guy
SRD Member
Reaction score
<hilarious bullshit intensifies>

Lurking for five years and that's your first post?

David24

Supreme Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Well AI obviously wasn't included in the December build, so this means hopefully it's in the March build. Maybe if we're extrememly lucky they'll do a mid season release but I wouldn't count on it

Hendrick4life

321 Wins | 17 Championships
SRD Member
Reaction score
Well AI obviously wasn't included in the December build, so this means hopefully it's in the March build. Maybe if we're extrememly lucky they'll do a mid season release but I wouldn't count on it
I am kinda hoping for a miracle here. I am seriously holding my breath for AI, its been years for me since I last played iRacing and am looking forward to "upgrading" from NR2003. But heck, if I have to wait till March, maybe they will have a host of kinks worked out by then

Mcc457

SRD Member
Reaction score

smells like J*mes

lasvegas247

SRD Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping AI gets released sometime this year. I just signed up and really enjoy iracing so far. It will give me time to get to know tracks and all the little things. I will do cup AI, maybe C class trucks vs live humans.

Anyone know who does custom paints? i know about trading paints, found hippies paint shops but didn't see any pricing.

David24

Supreme Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
1. The biggest question I have is, most AI or developed to run a line, with a secondary option, with Dirt/Paved Ovals the line changes through the race, will AI be able to adapt to this and move to find the speed, or will they be running through the slick while I move to the moisture? The same applies for Road when rain comes. Feels like without this, the entire concept of AI wont be that great if they cannot adapt to the changing conditions.

The plan is that the lines will vary with the conditions.

2. Max car counts, I know that there is a limit built in, but with the news that types of cars can be unlimited (until you burn your PC down) will max car counts be changed to allow large fields at the Ring, or massive heat events with Heat Racing?

I think the same limits will apply that currently apply (6 cars max) but not sure on how that factors in to max car counts. I don't think AI will support a crazy car count if the sim currently can't do so.

3. What is the difference in strain on my PC running a field of 40 AI compared to a field of 40 humans on a server. I assume everything will be done on my PCs end, so there probably would be a drop in fps?

It’s correct that everything is done on your PC. It’s hard to quantify what impact that will have – if you have some spare CPU there may not be any drop in fps, if not, then there may be some drop with large fields.

4. Pitting, the last thing i want to see if late models pitting every caution at a short track, what kind of intelligence is built in on pitting, short pitting, staying out after only a few laps, or with only a few laps left in the race. This is one place NASCAR Heat failed so badly.

There is intelligence in the pit strategy that takes into account how much time will be lost pitting, and weighing that against the benefits of improved lap times.

5. What type of adjustments to the AI will we be able to do, what ratings can we set for individual drivers?

5. Currently planned per driver ratings (subject to change):
a. Skill
b. Optimism
c. Aggressiveness
d. Smoothness
e. Age
f. Pit strategy risk taking
g. Pit crew skill
Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

Hendrick4life

321 Wins | 17 Championships
SRD Member
Reaction score
4. Pitting, the last thing i want to see if late models pitting every caution at a short track, what kind of intelligence is built in on pitting, short pitting, staying out after only a few laps, or with only a few laps left in the race. This is one place NASCAR Heat failed so badly.

There is intelligence in the pit strategy that takes into account how much time will be lost pitting, and weighing that against the benefits of improved lap times.

Seems like they haven't changed this from NR2003. In the track.ini there is a section for time lost pitting. Wondering if they plan on optimizing this or re-working it altogether.

Also, hopefully the pit crew skill will help or hurt an AI car during the course of a run. Say start out fast and slow down or see them getting a little sideways over the course of a run because of adjustments or lack thereof. Should be pretty awesome

David24

Supreme Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Here is an update
Ai will not be in this build but we realistically expect it will release this year. We want it to be robust and be proud of it when we release it. Just so much to refine when addressing all the things that happen on track, close racing, starts, pits, race control etc. All those details are what makes it good or not. We are making great progress. There are some very nice options on skill settings, building seasons etc.
Super bummed...now I'm finally getting the whole iRacing "soon" meme. Jesus Christ. January 2018 they were "very far down the road with the project" and "we should release it this year as well" and now we are over a year from that and still no timeline to release it. But I will continue to wait it out as I am sure it will be the best AI in any racing game available.

halfwayglad

BBMC Tracks
SRD Member
Reaction score
Here is an update

Super bummed...now I'm finally getting the whole iRacing "soon" meme. Jesus Christ. January 2018 they were "very far down the road with the project" and "we should release it this year as well" and now we are over a year from that and still no timeline to release it. But I will continue to wait it out as I am sure it will be the best AI in any racing game available.

I purchased a subscription for the year (last November) thinking I'd get to enjoy some non-NR2003 AI races. At this point, my subscription might expire before they even release the feature.

watsonz

#4TheCup
SRD Member
Reaction score
This is starting to sound so much like NR2003. I'm excited.

D0rant

SRD Member
Reaction score
Yes they are taking their sweet as time BUT to be fair they are the only ones among the modern racing games devs who can program AI to be satisfactory in any type of track be it oval or road course so they might as well take their time to perfect it before they launch it.

Highbank

Trans Am Car Set Creator
SRD Member
Reaction score
I don't agree with that statement, opinions are everyone's right but I have just about every sim old and new...most folks don't really realize that sims like rFactor, GTR2, GTL, etc... have a "Hat" file which is the ai learning the track, they need to be allowed to run in a "practice session" for some time (I usually run them for at least a half hour before I attempt to run with them) if you don't like what your ai is doing you can delete the Hat and let it relearn the track and results can vary....that's just one element of their ai systems. Several of us were testing with the rFactor National Stock Car mod recently (almost everyone had that tired opinion that rFactor ai can't race on an oval) within an hour we could see them racing as well as any ai we'd seen. Do they bully at times yes but that's true in all sims, even NR2003...Do they race well on ovals, sometimes they do, just like in NR2003. I agree that NR2003 has one of the finest ai systems we've had to date but I don't think that guarantees that iRacing's ai will be golden.

jacobc62

The OG NASCAR Tiger.
Reaction score
What's the quote here? "A delayed game is good, but a rushed game is forever terrible."? Even if the AI aren't perfect, the iRacing team is at least taking the time to refine the AI.

RacerXero84

Obnoxious old fart
SRD Member
Reaction score
I don't agree with that statement, opinions are everyone's right but I have just about every sim old and new...most folks don't really realize that sims like rFactor, GTR2, GTL, etc... have a "Hat" file which is the ai learning the track, they need to be allowed to run in a "practice session" for some time (I usually run them for at least a half hour before I attempt to run with them) if you don't like what your ai is doing you can delete the Hat and let it relearn the track and results can vary....that's just one element of their ai systems. Several of us were testing with the rFactor National Stock Car mod recently (almost everyone had that tired opinion that rFactor ai can't race on an oval) within an hour we could see them racing as well as any ai we'd seen. Do they bully at times yes but that's true in all sims, even NR2003...Do they race well on ovals, sometimes they do, just like in NR2003. I agree that NR2003 has one of the finest ai systems we've had to date but I don't think that guarantees that iRacing's ai will be golden.

There is another aspect people are missing: every time iRacing changes something (and they do it often, and it usually breaks a setup) they will invariably have to alter the AI to some extent. Given their track record, I have no faith that they will do it. They will more than likely simply tell people "AI is broken for now, patch coming 'soon'" (eight months later....).

I was hyped about this to a point, but their practice is so incredibly poor that I'll be amazed if the AI thing goes 4 months without a major breakage, to be fixed months later, only to broken again 2 weeks after that.

That's how they operate.