5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Downloads
Updated

AI coming to IRacing

RacerXero84

Obnoxious old fart
SRD Member
Reaction score
Question, what's the point of not allowing people to change the camera in iRacing? Other sims like rFactor 2 and etc. let you play however you want. I know they are trying to position themselves as the "super duper realistic sim" but that just makes them look pretentious as hell. I've heard people say "because it's realistic" and BS like that, but then do these same people wear fire suits, put on gloves and etc. while driving? Or are they comfortably sipping on their sodas while playing? :)
Some people actually do lol I kid you not, I've seen people in almost full racing outfits, complete with a racing 'rig' (racing seat bolted to a pedal/wheel mounting set) with wheels/pedals that cost over 1000 bucks, with huge TV's or multimonitor mounts. And more often than not, those are the same people that eat the wall within the first 10 laps lmao

D0rant

SRD Member
Reaction score
I mean... whatever floats their boat I guess :D but it's also funny when they take it so serious. If iRacing is such a great sim, why do motorsports teams use rFactor Pro for training and collecting data? :cool:

joeykraus19

SRD Member
Reaction score
Question, what's the point of not allowing people to change the camera in iRacing? Other sims like rFactor 2 and etc. let you play however you want. I know they are trying to position themselves as the "super duper realistic sim" but that just makes them look pretentious as hell. I've heard people say "because it's realistic" and BS like that, but then do these same people wear fire suits, put on gloves and etc. while driving? Or are they comfortably sipping on their sodas while playing? :)
you can change the camera view, but only in hosted sessions that allow it

chevy29

SRD Member
Reaction score
LOL iRacing is NR2K3 with the AI removed and now they can't place it back in !!

mtblillie

It's MTB Lillie, not MT Billy
SRD Member
Reaction score
iRacing is an online racing sim made by a dev group that used to be a big chunk of papyrus and bought the rights to essentially continue what papyrus starting in racing sims. iRacing was never designed to have AI as an online platform, kind of like how the online racing for NR2003 never had an AI option.

D0rant

SRD Member
Reaction score
Then why are they doing it now? Did they realize online only racing games aren't going to attract that many continuous users? Does anybody have users statistics year in year out that iRacing has had throughout the years?

mtblillie

It's MTB Lillie, not MT Billy
SRD Member
Reaction score
Well I can assume from the fact that they are still going steady and have been expanding that they attract a steady number of users, but that would just be a guess.

MattyO

Kinder Gentler Blowhard
Admin
Reaction score
@D0rant your routine is getting old with the iRacing bashing. Give it a rest for us please. We need it.

D0rant

SRD Member
Reaction score
@D0rant your routine is getting old with the iRacing bashing. Give it a rest for us please. We need it.
Bashing? I can't wait to race in it against the AI, man. Just because I'm a perfectionist, doesn't mean I hate the game or its' creators.

RacerXero84

Obnoxious old fart
SRD Member
Reaction score
Cautiously optimistic.
Assuming they deliver Cup/Xfinity/Trucks within the next year to 16 months across the modern tracks (at least, looking at Rockingham too would be nice....), I *might* have to renew (I already own the vast majority of content still).
For now, I'll be content to sit back and watch others be the guinea pigs.

DaleTona75

Unhealthily Obsessed With Backmarkers
SRD Member
Reaction score
Cautiously optimistic.
Assuming they deliver Cup/Xfinity/Trucks within the next year to 16 months across the modern tracks (at least, looking at Rockingham too would be nice....), I *might* have to renew (I already own the vast majority of content still).
For now, I'll be content to sit back and watch others be the guinea pigs.
On second hand I read somewhere that this might be Q1 2020 peaks, so I would not get my hopes too high

D0rant

SRD Member
Reaction score
Great news! Seems very promising that they aren't doing a "1 AI fits all series" thing and seemingly are highly customizing the AI behavior to fit the actual car/racing series. I just hope they can start integrating the whole thing faster cause people have been waiting for this for a long time and it's only a very limited beta now. It'd be great if they could release the full AI system for all the series by the time it's April or May 2020.

P.S. Also a very interesting thing to watch out for will be how NASCAR AI will behave. Whether they will use multiple lanes to race or just the fastest one like it is on vanilla NR2003, the same way how everyone races on iRacing against people.

Last edited:

D0rant

SRD Member
Reaction score
Interesting video has been uploaded on YouTube. Apparently for a little while the NASCAR cars were also available to race with AI because iRacing made a mistake and so some guy took them for a spin on an oval. Check it out! Unfortunately iRacing quickly fixed their mistake and now you can only race those Porsche's again.

D0rant

SRD Member
Reaction score
The AI doesn't look much different than what we currently have with NR2003. Just sayin...
It's annoying to me that the dude in the video crashed himself out instead of allowing for the field to spread out a little bit more so we could see the IQ and behavior of AI more clearly. Whether the AI pass on the outside too, whether the AI use different lanes when running single file etc. From what we saw so far it's pretty much exactly how NR2003 is, just with modern rules applied (like lucky dog is possible, double file restarts etc.)

J.R.Franklin

SRD Member
Reaction score
It's annoying to me that the dude in the video crashed himself out instead of allowing for the field to spread out a little bit more so we could see the IQ and behavior of AI more clearly. Whether the AI pass on the outside too, whether the AI use different lanes when running single file etc. From what we saw so far it's pretty much exactly how NR2003 is, just with modern rules applied (like lucky dog is possible, double file restarts etc.)
Yeah, speaking of the dude in the video, he seems to be a bit over-the-top whacky and giddy about the iRacing AI if you ask me. Of course it goes without saying that I mean no disrespect towards him in case he is a member here. :rolleyes::D