5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Downloads
Updated

AI coming to IRacing

halfwayglad

BBMC Tracks
SRD Member
Reaction score
I didn't see anything amazing from the video, but I'm optimistic. They seem to be putting a lot of effort into this. My expectations using NR2003 as a baseline makes me hopeful we could see outside line passing, better wreck avoidance, adaptive driving lines, and more.

J.R.Franklin

SRD Member
Reaction score
I didn't see anything amazing from the video, but I'm optimistic. They seem to be putting a lot of effort into this. My expectations using NR2003 as a baseline makes me hopeful we could see outside line passing, better wreck avoidance, adaptive driving lines, and more.
Certainly looked like better accident avoidance in that video during the crash than what we've experienced in NR2003, that's for sure.

DAT Designs

Paint Scheme Designer
SRD Member
Reaction score
I think it's important to remember that this is still very much a soft launch beta. Couple that with the fact that NASCAR wasn't even supposed to be included in this soft launch but was for a short time accidentally. AI is not gonna look perfect right now, not even close. But from what I've seen, it's a damn good base to expand on. In that video alone I saw promising things like the wreck avoidance, physics, customization, and even multiple lines (I remember an AI car well ahead of him at some point rim riding). They have a lot of time and a lot of community input to perfect the product before it fully releases.

Rufio2031

BBMC Tracks
SRD Member
Reaction score
In that video alone I saw promising things like the wreck avoidance, physics, customization, and even multiple lines (I remember an AI car well ahead of him at some point rim riding).
I'm no iRacing pro, but I'm pretty sure the game itself is very single grooved. So although it would super cool to have this, it's almost just for show if a second groove is not a reasonable alternative. Hopefully a more seasoned pro can tell me that multi-groove is very real in iRacing.

RacerXero84

Obnoxious old fart
SRD Member
Reaction score
I'm no iRacing pro, but I'm pretty sure the game itself is very single grooved. So although it would super cool to have this, it's almost just for show if a second groove is not a reasonable alternative. Hopefully a more seasoned pro can tell me that multi-groove is very real in iRacing.
With the current setup/tire model they are running, it's pretty single groove. Back in (I think) 2016-2017, they managed it so that there was a preferred line, but a person could set their vehicle up to run another line efficiently.

alfiej

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Here is my Experience after 1 race after last night with iRacing AI at 2020 Daytona

I started on May 22 with iRacing, now i have my Class A license.
To get to Cup Level with Class A, I had to by 2 Tracks and 2 Cars, Then Bought the New Daytona
{ iRacing will put all Manufactures in your cart, but you don't have to buy them all, just buy the car you want to race }
Stayed with Street Stock thru C Class, Then had to buy the Xfinity Car and 1 track in B Class { Xfinity car Sucked and looser then a goose }

Uploaded the 2020 Daytona Clash Set from Tradin Paints, and did not change the Ratings the Painter used with set.

First this was awesome and very intense, so with that said , its worth buying the cup tracks and if iRacing Painters paint complete race sets, you will want to run iRacing in your season, then split off and run NR2003 in tracks and sets not in iRacing, to run a mirror season with Cup.
AI will run you 3 and 4 wide at any given time, and unlike NR2003 you can't just get the lead and just stay in front of either line cause they just basically run 2 wide and you can pull the faster line.
AI will run all 3 lanes at any given time and will move around all over to get around you, so you have to be focused or your toast. you cannot predict where iRacing AI will run where in NR2003 you basically know exactly what thier AI will do. This is like running LIVE people and not a AI Race.
So Overall i'm sure like old school games that upgrade each year, if iRacing had all the tracks and car sets like NR2003 and didn't cost so much for all the content, a lot of die hard racing would run NR2003 a lot less or not at all.
Takes racing to a whole new level.

andy88

SRD Member
Reaction score
How do the AI react to lapped cars? Do they pass the lapped cars or just slow down and follow like they do in NR2003?

RacerXero84

Obnoxious old fart
SRD Member
Reaction score
Something that I feel was left out: the number of tracks that support AI right now is heavily limited.
Also, last I looked, no Xfinity, Gen4, or Truck AI.

The existing AI is pretty good, but iRacing has a LONG way to go. Plus that pesky cost.... and the tire model as of right now is arguably the WORST tire model I've seen on the platform since first starting back in 2014/2015. It's seriously terrible to the point where longtime fanboys of the platform are now griping about paying top dollar for a "shiny Heat 4 with a worse tire model".

D0rant

SRD Member
Reaction score
We're tired of the constant whining from you about iRacing
the number of tracks that support AI right now is heavily limited.
Considering how long they've been promoting the release of AI and how slowly they are releasing the tracks and cars available for AI it's honestly an embarrassing sight to see for anyone apart from a iRacing fanboy. I mean honestly, IndyCar is like the second biggest series after NASCAR that still keeps iRacing relevant and instead of making IndyCar AI available for May (for the Indy500) they still haven't released squat for it. Pathetic.

The existing AI is pretty good, but iRacing has a LONG way to go. Plus that pesky cost.... and the tire model as of right now is arguably the WORST tire model I've seen on the platform since first starting back in 2014/2015.
So true. The other day I tried to run the NASCAR cup cars at some random tracks and you can still end up spinning these cars if you go full throttle in a straight line. Like honestly that's one of the dumbest weirdest things I have ever seen... real life drivers are supposed to have talent and skill to run these cars, so why does iRacing make their cars harder to run for ordinary people than for actual professional racecar drivers???? It's dumb as hell. iRacing is a damn joke.

RacerXero84

Obnoxious old fart
SRD Member
Reaction score
So true. The other day I tried to run the NASCAR cup cars at some random tracks and you can still end up spinning these cars if you go full throttle in a straight line. Like honestly that's one of the dumbest weirdest things I have ever seen... real life drivers are supposed to have talent and skill to run these cars, so why does iRacing make their cars harder to run for ordinary people than for actual professional racecar drivers???? It's dumb as hell. iRacing is a damn joke.
I was more referencing the manner in which the tire wears. You have to go completely out of your way with the setup to get the RR to wear at all. 40 laps at the Rock, and my rears were 95%.... left was ~68%, but the RF? 45% (no I wasn't overcharging the corner, I was off throttle on wall marks, almost at the S/F line).

The default setups a couple years ago, while not fast, did manage to get a decent balance, just a smidge on the tight side. Now, it's a full blown dump truck. It's as if they hit the 'super easy' button so that, after 5-10 laps, it becomes next to impossible to spin the Cup car out. There's no 'loose' in it, at all. Best you get now is a severe case of push loose or if you just dive into a corner full tilt and aim for the inside wall lol

With how the tire has been, I have NO idea why they don't call in tire engineers from respective companies. One would think they would want their brand of tire represented properly.

Mcc457

SRD Member
Reaction score
I was more referencing the manner in which the tire wears. You have to go completely out of your way with the setup to get the RR to wear at all. 40 laps at the Rock, and my rears were 95%.... left was ~68%, but the RF? 45% (no I wasn't overcharging the corner, I was off throttle on wall marks, almost at the S/F line).

The default setups a couple years ago, while not fast, did manage to get a decent balance, just a smidge on the tight side. Now, it's a full blown dump truck. It's as if they hit the 'super easy' button so that, after 5-10 laps, it becomes next to impossible to spin the Cup car out. There's no 'loose' in it, at all. Best you get now is a severe case of push loose or if you just dive into a corner full tilt and aim for the inside wall lol

With how the tire has been, I have NO idea why they don't call in tire engineers from respective companies. One would think they would want their brand of tire represented properly.
Pretty interesting video from Niels on how they get tire data and how its put into the sim

MattyO

Kinder Gentler Blowhard
Admin
Reaction score
Guys, something you should know. Part of the new focus of SRD is I'm making an effort to support and focus more on iRacing. That means more eye's on this forum and the other's that are coming down the pipeline.

I get it that you're paying for something, and attached with that is some level of customer service. HOWEVER...................the constant whining, and let's be clear, it's whining and complaining, is coming to an end. Now.

I'm all for bitching and complaining about a product you are paying for. But............but............ not...........every............single.........post about iRacing. Not having it.

I'm dumping a considerable amount of money out of my own pocket to revamp this place, and part of that is more support for iRacing forums. That means more attention.

Just giving you fair warning :)

D0rant

SRD Member
Reaction score
On the positive note, the other day I tried out the Spec Ford AI (since I had such a blast racing with it against real people) and I really enjoyed racing against AI as well. The lack of guilt when you hit the AI (not on purpose of course) or just make a dumb move is a good way to train oneself IMO. There's only so much racing one can learn doing hotlaps by themselves and while racing against AI will never be exactly like racing against humans, it's a much better way to learn some things and then try to apply them to racing against real people.