Latest resources

07 JOEY GASE - RICHMOND I daniele
Templates SRD/SammyInABox1, Render Burnout/Blender, numbers BER, ratings and new box me.
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings
Downloads
Updated
08 JOE GRAF JR.  - MARTINSVILLE daniele
Templates SRD, Render Burnout/Blender, numbers BER, ratings and new box me.
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Downloads
Updated
07 DAVID STAR - TEXAS II daniele
Templates SRD, Render Burnout/Blender, numbers BER, numbers BER, ratings and new box me.
5.00 star(s) 2 ratings
Downloads
Updated
20 - Dex Imaging Supra - HOM2 Hendrick9Fan
5.00 star(s) 2 ratings
Downloads
Updated
20 - Dex Imaging Supra - HOM1 Hendrick9Fan
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Downloads
Updated

All-Star Race Format Announced

nascarfan9

Vito Crowleone
SRD Member
Reaction score
80 Laps. Restrictor plates. 6 in. spoiler with ears. Aero ducts. No crazy and confusing mandatory pit stop rules.
Sounds like this could either be a exciting or a complete disaster.
A427868C-6818-4970-A506-7538E468F2CC.jpeg

nj9703

Esteemed Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Sounds pretty rad. Except bring the 2014 horsepower back.

Last edited:

AMLNet49

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
The only way it can be a disaster is if the racing sucks. Having a non confusing format is good, although OT in the earlier stages could be weird.

I feel like what will determine if the plates work is whether they slow the cars enough to run every line on the track wide open. This is what’s creates the great racing at Dayona and Talladega, the fact that you don’t have to drop to the yellow line to get through the corners. In fact you can swerve all the way from the bottom to the top in the corners with no problem. I feel like Charlotte, narrow and treacherous as it is, would require the cars to be going very very slow to achieve this. So I expect the racing to suck. But at least we’ll be able to understand the format.

Last edited:

ShadowKnight508

Lt. Commish - SRD Pick' Em Series
Staff member
SRD Member
Reaction score
NASCAR and Charlotte Motor Speedway today announced the format and competition package for the May 19 Monster Energy NASCAR All-Star Race, both tailored to achieve one goal – the best possible race for the fans.
For the first time, Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series cars will implement the competition package used in last season’s successful NASCAR Xfinity Series race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, which saw record numbers in leaders, lead changes and green flag passes for the lead.

Each car will be fitted with aero ducts, a six-inch-high spoiler with two 12-inch ears, a restrictor plate and the 2014 style splitter. Working in concert, these additions create a unique aerodynamic effect, the results of which received high praise from fans and competitors following last year’s Xfinity race at Indianapolis.

“NASCAR is committed to innovation and will always work to improve the racing product for every series and venue,” said Steve O’Donnell, NASCAR executive vice president and chief racing development officer. “The yearly Monster Energy NASCAR All-Star Race is an opportunity to see your favorite drivers compete under a unique and exciting format and rules package. The positive feedback following last year’s Xfinity Series race at Indianapolis gave us the foundation to implement this dynamic package for the All-Star Race. We believe the hard work of the entire industry will provide the best race for our passionate fans.”

The format for the annual non-points event will include four stages – 30 laps, 20 laps, 20 laps and 10 laps. Only green flag laps will be counted in the Final Stage. Normal stage break procedures will be in effect, with one exciting addition: NASCAR Overtime will be in play for all stages. Of note, there will be no mandatory pit strategy as in some of the previous editions of the event.

The Monster Energy Open will be three stages set at 20, 20 and 10 laps respectively. Each stage winner will advance to the evening’s main event.

“The All-Star Race has a long history of edginess and innovation. We want to challenge drivers, spark on-track action and create the best show for the fans,” said Marcus Smith, president and CEO of Speedway Motorsports, Inc. “This race has always been a proving ground for some of the best innovations in our sport, from running under the lights to stage racing and double-file restarts. It’s the perfect opportunity to try something different, and with a 10-lap shootout for a million dollars, expect the unexpected on May 19.”

Joey Logano – the 2016 All-Star Race winner – tried out the rules package when he finished third in last year’s Xfinity Series race at Indianapolis.

“No one knows how this package will race around each other (in a Cup Series car),” Logano said. “The All-Star Race is the perfect opportunity to try something new and out of the box from a rules perspective. I’m glad we are taking this opportunity.”

The field for the 2018 Monster Energy NASCAR All-Star Race will include Monster Energy Series race winners in 2017 and 2018; former all-star race winners who are competing full-time; Monster Energy Series champions who are competing full-time; the winner of each of the three stages of the Monster Energy Open; and the winner of the 2018 Fan Vote.
Currently, the following drivers are eligible to compete: Ryan Blaney, Clint Bowyer, Kurt Busch, Kyle Busch, Austin Dillon, Denny Hamlin, Kevin Harvick, Jimmie Johnson, Kasey Kahne, Matt Kenseth, Brad Keselowski, Kyle Larson, Joey Logano, Jamie McMurray, Ryan Newman, Ricky Stenhouse Jr. and Martin Truex Jr.

Weekend passes for the Monster Energy All-Star Race start at just $79 and include admission to the May 18 N.C. Education Lottery 200 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race, May 19 Cole Swindell Monster Energy All-Star Race Concert Presented by Rayovac Batteries, Kwikset, George Foreman and National Hardware, and to the Monster Energy Open. Kids 13 and under get in free on Friday and for just $10 on Saturday with a paying adult. Tickets, camping and race-day upgrades are available by visiting www.CharlotteMotorSpeedway.com/tickets or calling 800-455-FANS (3267).

Tune-in to the Monster Energy NASCAR All-Star race at Charlotte Motor Speedway on Saturday, May 19, starting at 6 p.m. ET on FS1, MRN and SiriusXM NASCAR Radio.

SOURCE: http://www.catchfence.com/271243/na...ormat-for-monster-energy-nascar-all-star-race

nascarfan9

Vito Crowleone
SRD Member
Reaction score
For me, the thing about the package is, Indy is a vastly different track than Charlotte, so it'll be interesting to see whether or not that package works elsewhere, especially with the faster cup cars, and if it does, maybe we'll see it used elsewhere. Or, it could be a complete disaster and this package goes away forever never to be spoken of again. The ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ factor is strong with this one, but I like it.

wslates

SRD Member
Reaction score
So if I'm understanding this correctly, they're adding a fuckton of downforce and cutting the horsepower. This should be fun - glad to see NASCAR trying something new with this race. It's been a snoozefest for the last 10 years.

ThatOneShredder

"I can shotgun a White Claw."
SRD Member
Reaction score
I see "normal stage break procedures." Does this mean we'll burn off 5-8 laps at the beginning of each stage?

nascarfan9

Vito Crowleone
SRD Member
Reaction score
I see "normal stage break procedures." Does this mean we'll burn off 5-8 laps at the beginning of each stage?
No, to my knowledge that's referring to pit road closing 2 laps to go before the end of each stage, along with everything else. They didn't count laps between stages last year, either...

MattSRD28

SRD Pick'em Series Commissioner
Staff member
Reaction score
For me, the thing about the package is, Indy is a vastly different track than Charlotte, so it'll be interesting to see whether or not that package works elsewhere, especially with the faster cup cars, and if it does, maybe we'll see it used elsewhere. Or, it could be a complete disaster and this package goes away forever never to be spoken of again. The ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ factor is strong with this one, but I like it.
I know which one my money's on...

nj9703

Esteemed Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Looking at the glaring oxymoron in that graphic... Is it a restricted engine or an open engine, Mr. Info-Graphic? Make up your mind...
Isn’t that saying it’s not a sealed engine like the normal race engines are this year?

sweetracerdude

King of Pepsi, Racer, Family Man!
SRD Member
Reaction score
Isn’t that saying it’s not a sealed engine like the normal race engines are this year?
yes thats what they are talking about. Now the question I have... are they using plate track grill openings as well as these ducts based on the photo?

aRKey Designs

SRD Member
Reaction score
I like the idea with the Overtime for the stages, even if I don't believe that they will came in charge

lays

SRD Member
Reaction score
Meh.. I really don't want to see slower pack racing at most of the tracks.

BrendonH12

Lover of Jesus / SRD Pick'em Series Lt. Commish
SRD Member
Reaction score
I have a better idea: instead of running a restrictor plate at Charlotte, how about we run the All-Star race at Talladega or Daytona?

RacerXero84

Obnoxious old fart
SRD Member
Reaction score
I have a better idea: instead of running a restrictor plate at Charlotte, how about we run the All-Star race at Talladega or Daytona?
Because I can see what they are doing, and this point might have been lost in the announcement/fallout (not meaning to pick on you, but it more bears mentioning):

they are essentially admitting here that something needs to give with the 1.5 mile racing. The All Star is, as NASCAR has put it, a 'test' of sorts to see what options they could field for other 1.5 mile races to make them more entertaining (trying to put butts in seats for races). At least they are admitting there is a problem with the product.

If tests are successful in some areas, we could see rule package changes in the future, especially since NASCAR, within the last two years, have verbalized that they aren't ruling out the idea of track-specific based aero packages in an effort to improve competition. We may be seeing early stages of that.

I'm game. Whatever comes of it, I applaud NASCAR for at least TRYING. At the very least, it'll be something different in terms of racing there.

lays

SRD Member
Reaction score
What ever happened to the X-3 car that was supposed to be a fix for dirty air and most of the other issues?

BrendonH12

Lover of Jesus / SRD Pick'em Series Lt. Commish
SRD Member
Reaction score
Because I can see what they are doing, and this point might have been lost in the announcement/fallout (not meaning to pick on you, but it more bears mentioning):

they are essentially admitting here that something needs to give with the 1.5 mile racing. The All Star is, as NASCAR has put it, a 'test' of sorts to see what options they could field for other 1.5 mile races to make them more entertaining (trying to put butts in seats for races). At least they are admitting there is a problem with the product.

If tests are successful in some areas, we could see rule package changes in the future, especially since NASCAR, within the last two years, have verbalized that they aren't ruling out the idea of track-specific based aero packages in an effort to improve competition. We may be seeing early stages of that.

I'm game. Whatever comes of it, I applaud NASCAR for at least TRYING. At the very least, it'll be something different in terms of racing there.
I understand what you’re saying; I was just messing around about ‘Dega and Daytona. I actually like this idea, or at least the fact that NASCAR acknowledges that something needs to be changed. I’m hoping for the best, but hey, if not, at least they tried.

ShadowKnight508

Lt. Commish - SRD Pick' Em Series
Staff member
SRD Member
Reaction score
The infamous Option Tire from the 2017 All-Star Race is back...well, sort of (Credit to Bob Pockrass):

No tire test for All-Star. Goodyear to bring same tire for All-Star & 600. Right-side is same as "option" right-side Cup cars ran in the '17 All-Star race (a more tractive compound than right-side Cup teams ran last year at CMS) and the left-side is the new California/Texas tire
SOURCE: https://twitter.com/bobpockrass/status/984582356873990144
C_-h-oTU0AEwfao.jpg