1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

Can anyone explain this to me about Jeff Gordon in 1996?

Discussion in 'NASCAR Discussion' started by casssp, Jul 29, 2019.

1. casssp

casssp Well-Known Member

I'm collecting some 1996 references, and I came across this: Jeff Gordon lost the championship even with 10 wins and same Top-5-10 over the first.
    But how?

https://www.racing-reference.info/yeardet/1996/W

2. starscream24

starscream24 Captain of Unpopular Opinions.

Easy. Every time Jeff crashed, Terry finished better. It came down to consistency.

3. casssp

casssp Well-Known Member

True, I made a consistency comparison between the two after you spoke. In addition Labote retired 3 races, Gordon retired 5.
    Thank you!

4. USSTalladega

USSTalladega Making a comeback!

Just another one of those wild seasons. Was so mad then but at the end of the day at least it was Terry.

5. RacerXero84

RacerXero84 Obnoxious old fart

Yeah the big giveaway there was the miles run. Terry had 1000 over Jeff, denoting Terry's consistency over Jeff's raw speed.

6. MattSRD28

MattSRD28 SRD Pick'em Series Commissioner Moderator

Then a whole bunch of Jeffy fans complained about how that was possible. 8 years later we had the Chase.

7. jacobc62

jacobc62 The OG NASCAR Tiger.

I thought that was due to a mix of Kenseth's single-win Championship the year prior thanks to his near-robotic consistency in '03 (and another team's complaint about it, iirc it was Penske?) plus NASCAR wanting to adopt a system to not only distance itself from the previous Winston branding but to also be similar to stick-and-ball sports with a playoff system....

8. 4WideRacing

4WideRacing Well-Known Member

When was the last time Nascar made that large of a change so quickly? I'm sure they had been working on creating it for a while

9. MattSRD28

MattSRD28 SRD Pick'em Series Commissioner Moderator

Yeah exactly. It was years in the making. The rumors were swirling for many years but nobody thought they'd actually do it ...until they did. It was already going to happen by the time Kenseth's single win championship happened, but that more or less cemented in Nascar's mind that they'd made the right call.

I still say having an elimination playoff is better than having a single win champ, or only a couple drivers in contention at season's end. But there's also a case to be made about severe artificiality, maybe 16 is too many, maybe 10 races is too long, and so forth.

MWick4 likes this.
  10. racestarstud

racestarstud Well-Known Member

The Chase was not something NASCAR came up with out of the blue. They got the idea from the USAR Hooters Pro Cup Series. They created a 5 race playoff in 2001 that was called the Four Champions Playoff (it was called that in honor of the people killed in Alan Kulwicki's plane crash). The series had two divisions - Northern and Southern - and the top 30 drivers who had competed in at least half the season qualified for the playoffs.

NASCAR had been researching new ways to put more emphasis on winning since 2000 and had seen how popular the Four Champions Playoffs was for USAR. So they came up with their own version and applied it to the Cup Series.

Tetronix and joeykraus19 like this.
  11. jaqua99

jaqua99 Well-Known Member

Then the same fans complained about the chase when he was taken to school by a teammate who won 7 unanswered championships against him.

starscream24 likes this.