1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE

Carl Edwards won’t race in 2017

Discussion in 'NASCAR Discussion' started by Smoke14TS, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Smoke14TS

Smoke14TS Well-Known Member

In a stunning move, NASCAR star Carl Edwards is leaving Joe Gibbs Racing to pursue other interests outside of driving and will not compete in 2017, FOXSports.com has learned from multiple sources.

On Wednesday, JGR will announce at a press conference that Daniel Suarez will replace Edwards as the driver of the team’s No. 19 Monster Energy Cup Series Toyota. Suarez is the reigning NASCAR XFINITY Series champion.

Representatives of Edwards and Joe Gibbs Racing declined comment.

David Wilson, president of TRD, U.S.A., also declined comment on Edwards’ departure.

Edwards, 37, broke into NASCAR’s top series in 2004, when he replaced Jeff Burton in the No. 99 Roush Fenway Racing Ford. The Missouri native stayed with the Roush organization until 2015, when he moved to JGR.

For his career, Edwards has 28 race victories, 22 poles, 124 top fives and 220 top 10s in 445 starts.

Edwards might be the best driver of this generation to never win a NASCAR Premier Series championship. In 2011, he and Tony Stewart tied for the championship, but Stewart won on a tiebreaker for most race victories that season.

In 2008, Edwards won nine races and appeared poised to win the title, but a late-race crash at Talladega Superspeedway ended his title hopes, as he finished second to Jimmie Johnson.

At Homestead-Miami Speedway this past November, Edwards was in contention to win both the final race of the season and the championship, but crashed after contact with Joey Logano on a restart with 10 laps to go. Edwards ended the year fourth in points, his sixth top-five points finish in just 12 full seasons of racing.

The news of Edwards stepping away is a huge surprise for most fans, but in some ways it isn’t.

Throughout his career, Edwards has been very private about his personal life. Although he is outgoing, personable and popular with his sponsors, Edwards is one of the few drivers who isn’t active on Twitter and in general keeps a very low profile on social media.

http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/story/exclusive-carl-edwards-wont-race-2017

2. Junebugrocks88

Junebugrocks88 The Wanderer of Sim Racing

What. The. Hell. Good opportunity for Suarez though, now he can show his stuff with the top dogs. I wonder if someone else will drive the 19 in Xfinity now, or if he will drive full time in both series

3. KahneRacing945

KahneRacing945 "AWWW NOODLES!"

WHAT???? NOOOOO!

4. AMLNet49

AMLNet49 Well-Known Member

Massive scoop by Fox here, literally no one else had this.

Stunning move, and not a good one for the sport. Edwards was one of the few reliably popular drivers in the Cup Series, which has struggled to find marketable stars. He will be missed by the sport as a whole.

I can't blame Carl at all for doing this though. I personally expected him to keep racing until he won a championship, having come so close, but like the article said he's always kept to himself away from the track so who knows what's going on or what he's trying to do. Either way I wish him the best, he was one of the most fun guys in Cup over the last 13 years.

DaveO likes this.
  5. Thunder98

Thunder98 Same shit, different day. Moderator

Something about this makes me believe something's gone horribly wrong that Carl hasn't told anybody outside of JGR.

6. Shockey Rai

Shockey Rai NASCAR Furry, Bippity Boppity Boo.

I was just scrolling through Twitter like i do almost every morning & i JUST saw this.

This took me completely by surprise. I did not expect Carl to retire.

God. I hope not.

7. ThatOneShredder

ThatOneShredder USORL's Craigo Police

Holy shit. Another class act leaving a dying sport. What a shame... :/

8. Tim2488

Tim2488 Everything Bacon.

In more stunning news JWT has retired....

But yea this is an absolute stunner. Carl was definitely one of those personalities that you couldn't really hate, he's definitely gonna be missed on the track.

9. Phoenix

Phoenix Non sibi sed patriae

I know the article says Suarez, but...

I wish Gibbs would give Biffle a shot. One season. One little season in the 19, then Suarez can take it. It certainly couldn't hurt anybody or anything but Suarez's attitude.

10. ThatOneShredder

ThatOneShredder USORL's Craigo Police

Except that Arris probably wants Saurez...

11. watsonz

watsonz Member

What??? I'm shocked. Don't leave, Carl!!!!

12. nascarfan89

nascarfan89 Well-Known Member

This is my concern as well, along with the fact that alot of twitter nascar people are saying things like "I'm not sure if anything is wrong, but if there is...."

13. TColeman12

TColeman12 Dale Jr, off of 4, one last time...

What the hell? Come one, my one driver I was going to root for when Jr. retires.

14. Tim2488

Tim2488 Everything Bacon.

I've figured it out.
    Edwards to Mercedes
    :p

15. KahneRacing945

Crazy that he just left with no real warning, no retirement tour, nothing.

16. CarlEdwardsRulz

CarlEdwardsRulz Started as a Rusty Wallace fan

I hope Carl is ok and his family and things like that. Laying this out really makes it seem like something is off.... if they planned it this way I really wished they'd let us know if everyone involved is ok. I honestly can't say the rest of how I feel until I hear that part.

11rows0f3 likes this.
  17. K.Chuck

K.Chuck --Hijinxtattoo--

I can honestly say I have run out of reasons to watch NASCAR. WTF

frow78, shaneshine23 and TColeman12 like this.
  18. shaneshine23

shaneshine23 NR2003 driver since 2008

That's such shit news to hear, now I really can't stand the fact he didn't win this year, he should had two titles by now, damn.

19. KahneRacing945

Wonder who will get the 19 xfinity car. I'd say Gragson and some others share it.

20. db512

db512 2011 SRD Cup Series Champion

I am just in shock! I really don't know what to think. I figured he would be around a few more years at least. I didn't think he would race forever but this is a bit soon. I hope everything is ok with him and his family this all seems very sudden and worries me a little.

I wanted to add another note to this as well. I hope this isn't the start of a new trend in NASCAR. Carl is a very intelligent guy and studies the sport as good as anyone. I wonder if he talked to guys like Tony, Dale Jr., and Jeff Gordon about what has happened to them over the years and maybe it weighed on him that things like that could happen to him and he wanted to get out before it did. I don't expect drivers to race until there 50s and 60s anymore especially with the money in the sport but this is unusual and unexpected.