Latest resources

The Fastest ¼ Mile in the Northeast gets the "Full Monty" PST treatment with this 2020 facelift!
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Downloads
Updated
NXS20 Mustang Template 2048 x 2048 Update MattyO
Bigger rear decal (tail light decal)
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Downloads
Updated
NXS Mod Cts Physics MattyO
NXS20 Mod Cts Physics
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings
Downloads
Updated
NXS Mod Cup Physics MattyO
NXS20 Mod Cup Physics
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings
Downloads
Updated
SRD NXS20 Blender Scene Burnout
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Downloads
Updated

Damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fisha695

Esteemed Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Yes...comparatively.

200 full-time, paid employees should have more than enough time to make 40-50 paints in 2 months. I bet if the crew at SRD had nothing but painting to do in 2 months, they could get it done, and the number of staffers we have here is far less.
The part I put in bold shows that you have no earthly idea what the heck you are talking about.

200 people working on at least two games.... Now keep in mind that a lot of those employees do things like marketing & sales, the legal team, the sound team, the public relations team, the licenses teams (well that's probaly part of the legal team), the website team, the coders (NTG is on 3 consoles so there is also the people who port the code from one console to the other), the people doing UI, the 3d modelers, the people applying texture maps, etc... Out of the 200some employees that they have about 5 or 6 would be allotted to doing Car skins. And it's not just as simple as the "Lets take a logo from Google" copyright infringement painting that well is we all do, it's waiting to get the livery that the team wants used in the game, it's getting permission from all the trademark holders for all the logos in that livery, it's recreating each one of the logos from scratch to high-quality, and then recreating the livery at a high quality...., and then you have to send it back out to the team & trademark holders to get it all approved.

It's not as simple as stealing logos from some website, downloading a number from Masgrafx & a template from SRD and pasting them all together over a "close enough" flame base and calling it Jeff Gordons car. Everything has to be recreated from scratch and to perfect quality and approved at every step of the way.

Remember it's going to take more then a month to print the game & ship it which means it has to have gone gold by like December 31st.

I'm just saying...Papy did it.
And Papy couldn't generate a dime to save it's life and that's why it ran itself into the ground broke, beaten, & abused.

John Gregorio

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
And Papy couldn't generate a dime to save it's life and that's why it ran itself into the ground broke, beaten, & abused.
Actually, Sierra bought Papyrus, key people including god Dave Kaemer left to form FIRST (iRacing). And it's not that they couldn't generate a dime, EA monopolized the market.

Not the dramatic way you seem to put it.

HoosierDaddy

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
AND the 6 people used to paint the cars ARE the texture crew. That means they make all the textures. Not just the cars. Game companies have loads of employees. But you get a director, the director chooses the team the team is divided up by what they do. Sometimes, if not most of the time, you'll have a 3d artist working on a few projects. Unless it's a huge project like Assassins Creed or iRacing. Anyway, go read some articles about how a gaming company works and you can go from there. BTW, the legal team is usually an outside source unless it's a company like EA who have inside law teams. But that's all they do. Same with marketing.

Mike24

Retired
SRD Member
Reaction score
The part I put in bold shows that you have no earthly idea what the heck you are talking about.
Really, was it that difficult to understand my point? You were able to type out a pretty good chunk of words in response...:sarcastic:

It's not as simple as stealing logos from some website, downloading a number from Masgrafx & a template from SRD and pasting them all together over a "close enough" flame base and calling it Jeff Gordons car. Everything has to be recreated from scratch and to perfect quality and approved at every step of the way.

Remember it's going to take more then a month to print the game & ship it which means it has to have gone gold by like December 31st.

You don't think I don't know that? I make most everything from scratch when I paint, so I know to some degree what the professionals need to do...sans copyright laws.

However, my point still stands. Maybe not 200 people painting, but the graphic design crew is being paid to do the thing that most of us do for fun in their spare time. With that kind of incentive, and with over two months before ship date...and with a large plethora of 2011 schemes coming to light...its not inconceivable that this could be done.

Also, your shot at Papy has no bearing on the painting issue. Them painting 2003 cars for their 2003 game before release had nothing to do with its demise, as John alluded to. Papy went away because EA monopolized the market, and Papy only did racing games...i.e., nothing left for them.

rx4victory

SRD Member
Reaction score
you guys a fookin crazy, they already said the game will come with the 2010 schemes, then the 2011 schemes will be released soon after. i don't care, in this day and age you download something about everytime you start fire up the ol' Xbox. I'll be glad to have DLC like new schemes and a patch if need be. i wouldn't be surprised if they made expansion pack DLC like forza or GTA4.

SpeedEnergy

SRD Member
Reaction score
In this game it features so many more dirvers/cars/schemes then in EA's games, no fictional tracks, a state-of-the-art create-a-car with numerous options and way to many better features than in EA's games to talk about.

this game makes EA's games look like ****!! EA failed

Fisha695

Esteemed Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Honestly the "No Fantasy Tracks" thing is a negative for me. I loved fantasy tracks because it allowed for expanded gameplay. I mean what would you rather have... 23 Cup track only or 30 tracks, 23 being Cup tracks & 7 being Fantasy tracks?

Legacyofthe24

SRD Member
Reaction score
i completely agree with that fisha. i loved tracks like toyota raceway or dodge raceway park.

zfremouw

Lurker
Reaction score
The EA games really weren't so bad when they had competition in Sierra/Papyrus. Like a couple people mentioned before, it wasn't until EA bought the rights to NASCAR that the EA NASCAR series went down the drain in an accelerated manor. NASCAR Thunder 2003 is still one of my favorites for console, the career progression and constant need to upgrade engines, chassis, bodies, and crew members could really draw you into the game. And if you think about it, it doesn't get a whole lot more realistic than that. The worst part of those games were the way that the cars drove/handled. Yes, the damage model wasn't exactly the greatest in the world, but I do remember running over debris in the tri-oval at Talladega, and losing a race to Bobby Labonte because I crashed and went across the finish line on my roof.

Damage models are a hard thing to perfect, think about it logically for a moment...

There are legitimately, a million different ways a car could get messed up. Now imagine how much data that would take to map out and actually incorporate into the game. The data that that alone would consist of would be bigger than the rest of the game in its entirety.

Now, truly, my hat's off to everyone involved in the designing and production of the game. I really hope Eutechnyx doesn't take this to heart, but from what I've seen, the crash physics really don't look any different than the last products that EA put out, and that does disappoint me a bit.

But once again, I realize how much time and effort goes into a project like that, and I will say thank you anyways. The simple fact that something new is coming out is more than enough to please me.

Thank you to everyone involved, and keep up the good work.

Zak Fremouw

Status
Not open for further replies.