1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

David Ragan MDS Help

Discussion in 'Logos - Decals - Graphics' started by Chandler Tyson, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Chandler Tyson

Chandler Tyson Paint Crew Paint Crew

Can someone help me figure out if these cars are two different colors? One looks dark blue and the other one looks black.

The top one is from Bristol 1, the car also looks the same at Texas 1 and Dover 1. I'm curious to know whether its the lighting playing tricks on me or not. The bottom one is from Pocono 1.
    IMG_20190406_083629.jpg

2019-pocono2-38.jpg

2. BrendonH12

BrendonH12 Lover of Jesus! #CarolinaStrong Moderator

Yessir! :) The top one is definitely black, while the bottom one is definitely a navy blue.

You can really tell the difference when you look at the navy stripe that's coupled with the black just in front of the left front tire and underneath the left headlight, as shown in this image:
    [​IMG]
    The "MDS" logo on the hood also appears to be navy blue.

Hope this helps!

Chandler Tyson likes this.
  3. mtblillie

mtblillie Well-Known Member

Here is a better image of what @BrendonH12 is talking about.
    [​IMG]

Chandler Tyson and BrendonH12 like this.
  4. Brandon Miller

Brandon Miller Well-Known Member

I believe it is all black. I know pigments in black vinyl will sometimes look like a dark blue when hit at a certain angle in sunlight.

5. mtblillie

Click on the image I posted, there appears to be a distinct blue line, most noticeably below the headlight.

Edit: It even appears to have a black outline.

6. Brandon Miller

Brandon Miller Well-Known Member

I see that, but I still believe the scheme above is all black.

7. mtblillie

Suit yourself, but the blue stripe appears in both images, different angles, different sunlight aspects. If it were over a specific body line that was angled differently then the rest of that part of the car, I might be more skeptical, but it is on a smooth portion of the sheet metal, so it is hard for me to argue against it. Though I would agree that you probably cannot see it very well without direct sunlight.

8. JNieder51188

JNieder51188 Well-Known Member

I painted a variation of this car and came across this as well. There are several variations of the scheme, but I'm 99% certain that its a dark blue and not black as dark navy is their logo color. Also there is a lighter blue stripe on the nose area.
    img_0075.jpg maxresdefault.jpg

9. mtblillie

This graphic from the FRM website would also indicate that it is actually blue. I do find it curious that the "black" scheme only seems to be in question when Hulsey is on the side.
    images.jpg

JNieder51188 and Chandler Tyson like this.
  10. JNieder51188

JNieder51188 Well-Known Member

I was thinking that too when Hulsey is on it.

11. Chandler Tyson

I think I'm gonna go with this color. I used eyedropper tool on the graphic that @mtblillie posted and made the color a little bit darker.
    Untitled-2.jpg

mtblillie likes this.
  12. Chandler Tyson

Double post, but I just realized something. Look at the part of the base in front of the rear wheel, under the small logos. Right there is where the "navy blue" part of the base meets with the side skirts. On the "black" base it's the same color as the side skirts. On the navy blue version you can clearly see the two are different colors. I think there are some races where the base is blue and some where its black. I don't know why, maybe there's a reason or something.

Edit: it also looks like David Ragan's name rail decal is black on the "black" version and nave blue on the "navy blue" version.

mtblillie and BrendonH12 like this.
  13. mtblillie

I found this picture, where the car appears to be in direct sunlight and still has the glossy look to it, but still appears to be black.
    [​IMG]