1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

Direct X 8 to 9 dll has been updated to v1.10.0 today (d3d8.dll)

Discussion in 'NR2003 General Discussion' started by Mystical, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

I was looking at the github at the direct X 8 to 9 dll and a new version number showed up a few days ago but it had no files yet. Today the new dll got published:

https://github.com/crosire/d3d8to9/releases/tag/v1.10.0

For those living under a rock this dll file goes into your NR2003 root directory. It will unlock the game from running on DX8 to DX9 giving you increased stability and framerate. Essentially it makes the game run like a slightly more modern game with the extra features Direct X 9 has to offer.

I have tried the new dll version a bit and not see any negatives, I could not find any patch notes on what fixes were made with the new dll but the older version was 112 kb and this one is 119 kb large so it does have some extra stuff in it. Unfortunately the black car shader issue when you have shadows on from structures to the cars still occurs. There is still hope it may be resolved one day as they seem to update the dll every 6 to 9 months.

They have an issues tab and someone could report the issue to them if they want: https://github.com/crosire/d3d8to9/issues I don't have a github account but I may make one just to show the issue and see if its something they can resolve one day.

USSTalladega likes this.
  2. higginsville

higginsville Member

I haven't played around with the game much where would I put this? will it mess the game up if you have the nocd patch? Do you know anything about the 4gb patch if so how do I install it thank you for any info. Im running nr2003 on a windows 10 laptop with a intel graphics 620 card.

3. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

As my posts says you just drop the dll file into the root directory of NR2003 and it will do the rest.

For the 4GB patch I used this one: https://ntcore.com/?page_id=371

Simply locate your game's exe and let it patch it and it will be done pretty fast after that. The dll and patch will not magically make the game better on older hardware but it can help, definitely won't hurt anyhting.

4. RacerXero84

RacerXero84 Obnoxious old fart

Have you noticed any improvements? I know you noted there was no negatives aside from the black shading issue, but I'd be curious if there was any improvements made.

5. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

Not seen any, performance still seems good and framerates high, so at the very least upgrading wouldn't be a negative. Of course I've only been in the game for a limited amount of time so not enough to conclusively say nothing got better.

6. higginsville

higginsville Member

tried the dx8 to 9 patch the game immediately quit working. removed it and it worked fine. I copy and pasted to nr2003 folder. would it have to do with the fact I have direct x 12 on laptop already. afraid to install 4gb patch don't want to mess up game again. any answers thankyou.

7. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

Multiple versions of direct X can be installed on a pc, it is the same as your pc has a ton of different C++ Visual packages for all the programs that require different versions.

I don't know how the dll would cause an issue, its never crashed my game before, my guess is you don't have direct X 9 installed: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=34429

As for the 4GB patch there is no harm using it. Just copy your game's exe if you are worried as a backup. Then let the patcher patch the exe, it takes just a few seconds.

8. higginsville

higginsville Member

I have nocd patch where do I put the 4gb patch in nr2003 application or the one with nocd. I still cant get get dx 9 patch to work even after going to the link you posted. thank you for your help im not very tech savvy.

9. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

4gb patch you just run the program then choose the exe, it will then patch it in just like a second. As for DX9 not working that is strange, the laptop must have some error to not be working correctly. NR2003 shouldn't crash with the dll.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  10. J.R.Franklin

J.R.Franklin Well-Known Member

I download this file "d3d8.dll" and dropped it into my Nascar Racing 2003 Season main folder as noted above. When I went into a track to try it out, all of the cars were black. I'm assuming that this is the black car shader issue you mentioned when you have shadows on from structures to the cars enabled. So, I went into the options menu and disabled/unclecked all of the shadows on cars, objects, etc. boxes, but that did not resolve the black car issue. Am I gathering from your post that this black car shader issue does not have a work-around we can do? If not, adding this file is useless. Am I missing something here?

11. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

This is all that needs to be unchecked and no black shader will appear on the cars:

[​IMG]

12. J.R.Franklin

[​IMG]
    I did exactly as your picture shows and the cars are still all black. Not sure why that is. Here is a picture of my graphics options settings. You'll noticed that the section "Reflections on cars" is checked but grayed out. Not sure if that is what is causing my black car problem or not. I tried adjusting some settings in the player.ini, but was unable to get that section to not be grayed out. Got any ideas why I'm not able to resolve the black car issue when I add that "d3d8.dll" file? I am using a No-CD version of the sim.

13. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

Yeah I have no-cd version as well. Really odd that its still showing black cars. I do have my game in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3. Maybe it has to do with hardware? I've always had Nvidia graphics cards. Before I upgraded I used the dll with a 980 ti and these settings worked. I now have a 2070 Super and the same settings worked to get rid of the black cars.

14. TChapman500

TChapman500 Well-Known Member

I haven't noticed much of a difference. Perhaps that'll change when I inevitably have to Alt+Tab between the sim and whatever I'm working on. I know for sure that without it, the sim crashes about 75% of the time that I Alt+Tab back into it. Will the 4GB patch cause any problems with online races?

15. J.R.Franklin

I'm on an AMD Gigabyte Radeon R9 390 G1 card. Maybe that's the difference. Oh well. It was worth a try to wring out a few more FPS from my rig. :(

16. TChapman500

I placed this is my Sandbox directory only to remember that Sandbox uses OpenGL.

17. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

4GB I don't think has any releation to anyone that has a nonpatched exe. Only difference for you is you'd have extra memory to work with really.

Yeah that is my only guess. I can't say conclusively unless someone else here says AMD causes the same problem for them as well. I will try and leave a bug report on their github so they can maybe fix it. The dll is really good and would be a shame if someone cannot use it.

TChapman500 likes this.
  18. Darren Ingram

Darren Ingram Moderator Moderator

In regards to the game crashing the the DX9 .dll, I think that some cards just don't like it. I have two main rigs that I play NR2003 on. On my rig with an AMD RX560 4GB card, installing the .dll crashes the game immediately upon launch. On my RX580 8GB card, the .dll works just fine. Other specs on the two machines are pretty identical, first one has an i7, second has an i5, both have 16GB of RAM. I'm really not sure what the issue is, but I've spent hours troubleshooting it before and have never found a solution. I think the .dll just doesn't work on some rigs/graphics cards.

RacerXero84 likes this.
  19. TChapman500

What we need is a recompile of the game.

RacerXero84 likes this.
  20. RacerXero84

RacerXero84 Obnoxious old fart

At risk of going slightly off topic, I think this is the course of action best suited long-term.

Example: Star Wars X-Wing Classic PC game. Someone is out there doing a full rebuild of the game (XWVM) that functions as sort of a 'mod', in that you have to have the original game for it to boot (GOG version, Steam, etc etc etc). Visually, it's on par with the newest games out there.

A rebuild of a racing game would be technically similar, and potentially allow for modern tools for mod/track creation.

BACK ON TOPIC: tested on my i7 8700K, 32GB RAM, RX 590 at 2560x1080, it works fine with the newest AMD driver build on Windows 10. I did notice a bump of about 5-15 FPS overall from the previous .dll, depending on various track and environmental factors. I'm thinking some chipsets may have some individual issues and it comes down to may/may not work depending on individual PC specifications as Darren said.

USSTalladega and Mystical like this.