Does screen resolution affect frame rates?

Discussion in 'NR2003 General Discussion' started by canalguyopen, Dec 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. canalguyopen

canalguyopen New Member

I know if you set the games 3d config up to run a certain resolution the game will base it's fps on that setting. however if one were to right click on the desktop and change the screen resolution to a higher res. would the game run with lower fps, or would it still believe it's running in whatever setting I chose in the games 3d config...

The reason I ask is because Running on my computer's monitor with game settings at 800x600x16 with my monitors setting at 1024x768 i get one frame rate. but when I connect to my hdtv which uses a higher resolution setting but leaving the games 3d settings the same the frames drop by about 20. is this the result of my games 3d settings or the result of my tv having a higher resolution? :mad:

2. chadden24

chadden24 Member

higher res. means lower framerate. maybe if you set your vsync to on but im not sure.

3. Markfan

Markfan Sim Racing Designosaur

The answer to the titular question is a definite yes. On my machine, a race that is run in 1366x768 (the resolution of my computer) with 50-70fps, will get 60-80fps in 800x600 and 70-85 fps in 640x480.

For your last question, it's a combination of both, the increase in resolution results in the game using more processing to get a clearer picture.

I have never tried changing the resolution while the game is running, mostly because it crashes when I minimize it, so I'm not sure how to answer the second one . . . . . . .

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  4. truexfan81

truexfan81 New Member

I tried it to see what happens, after you change the resolution the game comes back up in window mode. :sad: The only way to get back to fullscreen is the exit and restart the game, which puts you back on the original resolution. :emoticon-sign:

5. chadden24

chadden24 Member

i dont know but i read this game (nr2k3) was never meant for high resolutions. the box has the min/max requirements but todays machines are so fassssttt.............

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.