1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

DTN Homestead

Discussion in 'NR2003 General Discussion' started by Duck 78, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Duck 78

Duck 78 Member

Hello, so I’ve been reading some articles on here talking about how to make a day to night track. They have been extremely helpful. I actually somewhat got it to work. My only problem is that when I’m in any view while racing all I see is the regular sky. But while I’m spectating I see the day to night sky. Does anyone know anything about why I am having this problem? If so I would love some help.

I’m dropping some photos below so you guys can see what I’m talking about.

A01BBC8A-4E4C-4592-8EE6-6C986CA45E16.jpeg 44D521F0-E3C4-4F18-ADDD-F0279D66D10E.jpeg
    http://www.simracingdesign.com/threads/make-ourself-day-to-night-transition-tracks.63821/

This was the article I found talking about it that really helped me. But I just couldn’t find anything saying how to remove the original sky.

2. Rufio2031

Rufio2031 Well-Known Member

If I were to guess, it's the draw distance kicking in here. It's showing in the replay because the draw distance is clipping the world skybox. What's behind the skybox? Your DTN sky!
    I think you have to make the DTN sky mesh super small to fit inside of the game's world skybox. So basically it shows up in front of the game skybox. On this track, you might have some extra work to do to get this as ideal as possible. Also please contact me if you plan on releasing it.
    1. You'll need to expand the skybox. On the exterior of the track, you'll need to drag out each of the x section vertices as close to 1000 meters away from the centerline without going over 1000 (1000 will not allow you to save the track). This will maximize the in-game skybox.
    2. Then resize and fit your DTN mesh (.3d0) inside of that. I'm guessing it would take a lot of guess and check.

Keep in mind I'm only theorizing here. I haven't actually attempted a DTN myself. @J.R.Franklin might be a great resource for this as it seems he was also very prevalent in the thread you linked.

3. Duck 78

Duck 78 Member

701BA1D6-85DC-4289-BFD3-542E08902471.jpeg 701BA1D6-85DC-4289-BFD3-542E08902471.jpeg
    Wow! Thank you for all that information. From what I’ve heard is the reason it’s not working is because I need to extend the segments, yes you are right when I save it it will not save. It’s because they are to far out. But the sky is more than 1000 meters away from the track. Is there a way I can make the 3do smaller?

4. Rufio2031

Look at the units in one of the upper corners. It can only be extended 999 away from the centerline, and you'll need to do the whole track for it to work successfully. You'll want to do that either way as that will give you the largest possible skybox. I learned this after creating that track otherwise it should have already been done.

You can definitely resize the 3do, BUT, it's not simple. You need to basically recreate the object and import it back in and this is not a straight forward process. This expands into the topic of how to create 3dos which there are a few guides out there, but the biggest issue is that Papy used a tool to export their 3d objects from a 3dmax version that is no longer easily attainable. You'll have to find a way to get the program (probably the hardest part) and hope it works, know how to 3d model, and unwrap and texture, and export, and script, then finally add back into the project and animate it.

5. Duck 78

Duck 78 Member

Alright, yeah I’m not going to remake it. Sounds complicated. I’ll see what I can do. I appreciate your help anyway. It’s the drawing distance. The sky goes past 1000 meters so I’ll see what I can figure out. :) hopefully I’ll find something haha

6. Rufio2031

They'll go as far as you drag them. Sandbox won't stop you. Could drag to 999999999 meters away if you wanted to. You just have to stop dragging it before you go above 999 in order to save. What I'm saying is set them all to something like 995 and then save. You'll then have a larger skybox when you put it in game. Then, hopefully, your DTN sky is small enough to fit inside it.

In case any others are reading this and scratching their heads, this is what you're looking for. Must be <1000. Or, technically... > -1000
    upload_2019-11-22_18-2-59.png

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  7. Duck 78

Duck 78 Member

I got it!!! Thank you so much!