1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

Export Applied Material

Discussion in '3dsMax Help or Questions' started by JNieder51188, Sep 17, 2018.

1. JNieder51188

JNieder51188 Well-Known Member

Would anyone happen to know if there is a way to export an applied material in 3ds Max? Short story: I have applied a carbon fiber material to the MENCS18 mod paint scheme using the compact material editor that when rendered is almost perfect for what I want. Is there a way to export this now "mapped" material.

2. Carbine M1A1

Carbine M1A1 Well-Known Member

Depend's on how you applied the material in the first place. Did you just open the material and then applied it to the car ? Did you use the template to paint the carbon fiber on ?
    Post a pick of what you have.

3. JNieder51188

Not through the template itself. I did it through the material editor instead of mapping a template .tga file. It applies it good enough for what I want but I don't know how to export the uv map. I guess it would be in the same way those who create the templates add the car parts and export those for use in gimp/psp, etc. I dont exactly know how to that fully. carbon.jpg

4. Carbine M1A1

Ahh ok then you can just place your carbon fiber material directly over the template that everybody else uses to paint there car flats with and set it as a base layer. Becaus you are using the default UV layout you dont need to do anything else. Should work for you.:D:D

5. JNieder51188

The way I have shown below is using the templates. It doesn't map the way I showed in the image above. In the image above I have basically created my own material, but Im thinking its applying it along the UV path that is created for the model. I'm not sure of a better way to explain this because I feel I'm doing a terrible job. If you apply any material within 3ds Max, whether it a shellac, glass or anything, and layout the UV map will it create a flat with that map with the texture applied to it so that I can export it. I know 3d Coat can do this and its super easy but costs $99. Surely this program can do it as well. Untitled.jpg

6. Carbine M1A1

3DS Max wont creat textures from what you have it will only allow you you to creat a uvw texture map but without the material applied to it.

7. JNieder51188

At least I now know. I'll mess around and see if I can get it right with 3d Coat. Thanks

8. MattyO

MattyO Well-Known Member Admin

What I think you're talking about is baking textures. I did this for the cockpit textures for the NXS17 mod.
    The problem you're going to have is when you render to texture, it's going to render the scene (lighting etc..) to the texture as well. Here's a video on how to do it.