1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

Extremely Quick Impressions

Discussion in 'iRacing.com Motorsports Simulations' started by halfwayglad, Nov 22, 2018.

1. halfwayglad

halfwayglad Well-Known Member

So I pulled the trigger on a year membership since they're currently 50% off in anticipation of AI. I'm waiting for my wheel to arrive so I did a Testing session with the mouse+keyboard (I know).

Initial impressions:
    1. Graphics feel very NR2003 + better lighting + models
    2. I'm surprised at how expensive a complete MENSC package would be and how out of date a lot of the tracks seemed to be.
    3. I might actually skip out on AI if ratings still apply (as it did during my testing session). I wouldn't have even bothered to try it without a wheel if I knew I couldn't just hop in and do some f@$cking around. I want a sim, but I don't want to be stressed out worrying about my rating when I play against AI.

There's my .02! Take it for what it's worth.

2. halfwayglad

I also noticed a few of the graphical issues that exist in NR2003 still exist in iRacing. For example, the z-index bug with fencing. The stands are rendering above the fence, even though it's behind it.

layering.png

NR2003:
    nr2003_layering.png

3. RacerXero84

RacerXero84 Obnoxious old fart

That's part of the reason I left. So much is placed on SR/iRating, and what it does is create egos. Big ones. Overblown ones, where it's ALWAYS your fault that they slammed on the brakes for absolutely no reason and collected you and 6 others.
    The tire model is atrocious, as is the camber and tape exploits. IMO, certainly NOT worth $100 a year.

The service is quickly becoming a joke, as they add more content, but let the details and the broken aspects languish for years. You know it's getting bad when they were courting people to be sponsor partners for their series and most went to other racing platforms simply based on what they saw. And if anyone thinks for one second their dirt model is realistic in ANY way, you have no idea what dirt racing is really like, or you're a paid shill, plain and simple.

joeykraus19 likes this.
  4. GambitJon

GambitJon #VeganRush

iRacing is great, however I feel like people tend to put the devs at a high status. For an example the Camaro took like 6 months after Daytona. In my opinion this was stupid and should've been out right when 2018 came around. Understand that these models take awhile to make, we are talking about a company that has enough money to sponsor car, and has data. People also get mad when I point out things that are wrong. For an example Darlington has a Dodge logo and Talladega has an Aarons logo.

joeykraus19 likes this.
  5. halfwayglad

I was surprised because my expectations were a modern NR2003 with new tracks and the ability to treat the simulation as what it is for me: a hobby. The whole rating thing, even during testing, really blows that up because I can't be relaxed while I play. It becomes work.

I think as a product iRacing has huge potential – for many it's the only option for online sim racing because of the rating system. Unfortunately it turns out it might not be a good fit for me.

6. RacerXero84

From what I can tell, most of the people I raced with online in a league (where iRating/SR don't count unless the league uses it to gauge eligibility) ended up feeling the same way, and also left the service.
    I managed to convert 2 other people on my team to Heat 3 and one to nr2003. They are much happier, way less stressed. Keeping up with setups and competition while maintaining your iRating/SR will inevitably make it feel like a 9 to 5.

From a purely observational standpoint, it seems the only people left are people that don't care about their iRating, those that have the time to commit to it, or those that belong to the super teams.
    My way of looking at it is that it's supposed to be FUN. Almost nobody is being paid to race iRacing (quite the opposite), so it shouldn't be a JOB just to be competitive.

joeykraus19 likes this.
  7. David24

David24 Paint Crew Paint Crew

Exactly. People take it way too seriously and that is why I don't race online. Too stressful having to worry about making a mistake. That's the only reason I am waiting for AI. That way I can set up my own race and actually have fun. For me I don't care about the exploits in the setups or if the physics are 100% true to life, or maybe I just haven't done enough actual racing. I'm just here to have fun. With that said I do not give a flying fuck about any of my ratings or whatever. I think it's incredibly stupid.

As for OP I think you should wait to get a wheel and then try it out the way it was meant to be experienced. Also you should read the sporting code
    https://d3bxz2vegbjddt.cloudfront.net/members/pdfs/FIRST_Sporting_Code_v2014.12.17.01.pdf
    Page 11 section 3.5.1.

Mystical, halfwayglad and joeykraus19 like this.
  8. halfwayglad

Picked up a G920 tonight during Black Friday sales :)

RacerXero84 and David24 like this.
  9. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

That z-index bug in NR2003 was always annoying. It had to do with the way the alpha was made but in most cases it would look worse/took longer to create doing it the 'fixed' way. Surprised iracing is still using the same outdated method. Never seen the z-index issue with other games I've modded that I created transparency assets for.

InsideLine likes this.
  10. RacerXero84

Enjoy that. I have one. Absolutely love it, but you MAY want to take the rubber out of the brake pedal, it's horrible. Easy enough to find a how to on Youtube.
    Or just map the brake to the clutch pedal like I did (didn't like the pedal spacing, and almost never use a clutch pedal, which is mapped to my brake).

Great overall wheel though.

11. halfwayglad

Yeah I like it so far, but none of my keyboard setups work anymore. I'm basically starting over with the game. The force feedback is great and adds a new level of dimension. My one complaint is that the turning feels a bit grainy.

12. halfwayglad

Same. I would think this would be one of those types of things they'd want to fix, but I guess it's not a priority.

13. RacerXero84

Play with the centering spring strength, the dead zone, and some of the force feedback settings. I felt that way too until I tweaked some of those settings, I managed to damped that 'grinding' sensation and it's a bit more smooth now.

14. halfwayglad

The newest Logitech Software appears to remove these settings. Any idea where to find them? They don’t appear in the USB controller settings either.

15. RacerXero84

Where you would assign commands to buttons in the software, should be an option for the steering wheel axis. Should be located there.

16. halfwayglad

Thanks! I’ll give it a look. I’m going to spend the day practicing since I suck now haha

17. halfwayglad

Unfortunately this is all I get:
    logitech.JPG

18. halfwayglad

I'm also having difficulty getting the wheel to register as straight ahead with the center line at the top. I also seem to keep having to calibrate in NR2003 settings in order for the brake to keep working. I'm a bit frustrated now. Going to start Googling.

19. halfwayglad

For anyone with the same wheel: things are ok except some minor graininess in the steering. I had to be sure my degrees of rotation was 360, calibrate using the USB controller settings, calibrate in game, and then assign the controls.

The USB calibration just asks you to use the wheel and pedals. Unfortunately no FF settings. The Logitech Software only has rotation and center spring.

20. ButteredRolls14

ButteredRolls14 Ex-Moonshiner

This is what I have right now, but it's no where near where I would like it.

upload_2018-11-23_11-10-38.png