Updated

Flipfest

Status
Not open for further replies.

starsxxx

Soft-Boi Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
I think this simulation game is just a flipfest. At least 1 or 2 flips in a race. Having 5 cars flip in a 12 car wreck. Too bad there is nothing we can do about. Has anyone ever felt this way?

123456789colton

SRD Member
Reaction score
I think this simulation game is just a flipfest. At least 1 or 2 flips in a race. Having 5 cars flip in a 12 car wreck. Too bad there is nothing we can do about. Has anyone ever felt this way?
What tracks is this happening at? I have almost no flips in my races. There's a lot you can do in the track.ini files. I'm not sure if any of this will help but its worth a shot.

ai_decel modifier = 1.00
This one will proboly be the only one that could help fix your problem.. I hope. This determines how fast the ai cars slow down either when slowing for a wreck, or under caution. At most of my super speedway tracks I use about a 0.80 - 0.92 so they can pile into each other during "the big one" however when it is closer to 0.80 or lower the ai cars almost ALWAYS slam into each other under cautions, so if the value is higher then during a wreck the ai cars can slow down faster. Which means they shouldn't slam into each other as hard and flip each other over as much...maybe.

Heres a few more things while i'm at it..

ai_drafting_distance = 1.11
This is how far cars are behind another car in car lengths before attempting to make a pass. If the number is to high (1.40 or higher) the field may be to spread out and when a wreck happens the have more of a chance to pile in and flip (if the decel modifier is set to low)

ai_dlat_pad = 0.60
This is how close the ai cars like to race side by side. The lower the number the closer, too low can cause to many crashes, as well as too high can cause crashes. I've never set this value lower than 0.35 and never higher than 1.15

ai_inverse_slipcurve_k = 0.66
There is ALOT of different theories as to what this effects. I believe (after doing many different tests) that this is how out of shape the ai cars can get before spinning out. A higher number means the ai cars spin out more easily, a lower number means the ai cars can bump more (or you can bump draft ai cars easier) But to low of a number means you might wreck instead of them if you hit them. I've had awesome results between 0.75 and 1.15 max.

Well I hope this helps out. I'd still like to know what tracks your having the problems on.

starsxxx

Soft-Boi Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
What tracks is this happening at? I have almost no flips in my races. There's a lot you can do in the track.ini files. I'm not sure if any of this will help but its worth a shot.

ai_decel modifier = 1.00
This one will proboly be the only one that could help fix your problem.. I hope. This determines how fast the ai cars slow down either when slowing for a wreck, or under caution. At most of my super speedway tracks I use about a 0.80 - 0.92 so they can pile into each other during "the big one" however when it is closer to 0.80 or lower the ai cars almost ALWAYS slam into each other under cautions, so if the value is higher then during a wreck the ai cars can slow down faster. Which means they shouldn't slam into each other as hard and flip each other over as much...maybe.

Heres a few more things while i'm at it..

ai_drafting_distance = 1.11
This is how far cars are behind another car in car lengths before attempting to make a pass. If the number is to h or higher) the field may be to spread out and when a wreck happens the have more of a chance to pile in and flip (if the decel modifier is set to low)

ai_dlat_pad = 0.60
This is how close the ai cars like to race side by side. The lower the number the closer, too low can cause to many crashes, as well as too high can cause crashes. I've never set this value lower than 0.35 and never higher than 1.15

ai_inverse_slipcurve_k = 0.66
There is ALOT of different theories as to what this effects. I believe (after doing many different tests) that this is how out of shape the ai cars can get before spinning out. A higher number means the ai cars spin out more easily, a lower number means the ai cars can bump more (or you can bump draft ai cars easier) But to low of a number means you might wreck instead of them if you hit them. I've had awesome results between 0.75 and 1.15 max.

Well I hope this helps out. I'd still like to know what tracks your having the problems on.
Thanks for the tips. The tracks I usually go on are the Restrictor plate tracks. It happens on all tracks.

Mystical

Always 110%
SRD Member
Reaction score
I rarely see cars flip. Most of the wrecks in my races are pretty realistic and the flips that do occur are from pretty big and fast tracks.

starsxxx

Soft-Boi Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Wow. I don't know why my game always has flips very easily. The type if flips that happen a lot look like how Kyle Busch flipped last year at Daytona, but any where.

123456789colton

SRD Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. The tracks I usually go on are the Restrictor plate tracks. It happens on all tracks.
Wow. I don't know why my game always has flips very easily. The type if flips that happen a lot look like how Kyle Busch flipped last year at Daytona, but any where.
I hope those tips helped you out!! Even improving the grip can possibly help as the ai cars can stop there cars better, but then it may not look as realistic. And wow lol. I dont get many!

I rarely see cars flip. Most of the wrecks in my races are pretty realistic and the flips that do occur are from pretty big and fast tracks.
Same! Except yesterday I had a flip at Martinsville :eek: But in my defense I was trying new edits to my ini file. I do get a good amount of flips but mine to are realistic looking. As long as a car isn't barrel rolling 20+ times down the straight at atlanta i'm ok. haha

starsxxx

Soft-Boi Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
I know I was not able to respond right away and I apologize, but I have an example video.

starsxxx

Soft-Boi Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Oh come on!
It's a physics engine from 2003, give it a break!
I always known that. It just seems that other people's game is different than mine and have almost no flips while I get 3 or more flips in a race.

The problem might come from the grip levels or the AI not checking up early enough and going Arca style.

Last edited:

hammer26tn

SRD Member
Reaction score
I can understand that. I've never seen a real race car flip over from a T-bone style crash unless one of the cars was on uneven ground, like the kyle busch Daytona crash last July. Crashes like that and the flips where the car spins on its nose at unreal speeds, the entire length of the back stretch really take away from the realism. Even for a 12 year old sim, that should never be able to happen.

123456789colton

SRD Member
Reaction score
I know I was not able to respond right away and I apologize, but I have an example video.
Unfortunetely there isn't anything you can do (in my experience) to get rid of that kind of flip. I think its the physics or something in nr2003. I always thought the cars were heavier in NR2002 and in NR2003 the cars were light. When I say heavy I mean the wrecks were always realistic (for me they were)

Status
Not open for further replies.