Latest resources

08 JOE GRAF JR.  - MARTINSVILLE daniele
Templates SRD, Render Burnout/Blender, numbers BER, ratings and new box me.
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings
Downloads
Updated
07 DAVID STAR - TEXAS II daniele
Templates SRD, Render Burnout/Blender, numbers BER, numbers BER, ratings and new box me.
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Downloads
Updated
20 - Dex Imaging Supra - HOM2 Hendrick9Fan
5.00 star(s) 2 ratings
Downloads
Updated
20 - Dex Imaging Supra - HOM1 Hendrick9Fan
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Downloads
Updated
20 - Dex Imaging Supra - CLT1 Hendrick9Fan
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Downloads
Updated

Future of racetracks (New: California Speedway to 1/2 mi short track)

German500

SRD Member
Reaction score
While researching for Wikipedia, I came across some news sites online that report on the demolition or cessation of racing on some oval tracks in the USA.

-> https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mo...t-myrtle-beach-speedway-announced/ar-BB170Tef
The Myrtle Beach Speedway will be demolished after the last race in August this year. Which I think is a shame because I liked this oval. There are not many other D-shaped short tracks 1/2 mile long.

-> https://racer.com/2020/07/21/penske-weighing-iowa-speedway-purchase/
The Iowa Speedway, which has been traded for a CUP race for years, is to be sold after the current season. NASCAR is no longer interested in owning this circuit. The hot candidate is Roger Penske, who would like to keep the two IndyCar races on the oval. If there is no sale, this racetrack will probably also be closed. Which is a shame, since it only went into operation 14 years ago and is the youngest paved oval in the USA.

-> https://www.jayski.com/2020/05/11/future-of-chicagoland-speedway-in-doubt/
Even if Joliet has contradicted that the racetrack is in danger, the Chicagoland Speedway will also be affected by massive changes in the future. Of all three Cup racetracks built in 2000/2001 (the other two are Kansas Speedway and Kentucky Speedway), it is the only one with the original asphalt surface. So it would have to be resurfaced soon, which would cost a lot of money. In addition, the racetrack no longer attracts as many spectators as it used to. If it weren't for being in the Chicago metropolitan area with the big market for TV viewers, it would be a hot candidate to drop of the Cup calendar.

I am afraid that the current Covid 19 crisis will result in even more (especially small) local racetracks being closed.

Lastlap

SRD Member
Reaction score
Chicagoland Speedway is fine.

UPDATE 3: The city of Joliet, Illinois has clarified that no portion of the racing oval would be impacted by the proposal

DaleTona75

Unhealthily Obsessed With Backmarkers
SRD Member
Reaction score
IMO If the Auto Club short track works out, I could see them doing the same to Chicagoland. While the county has said the track is safe as is, doing the same they are doing to Auto Club would make sense. NASCAR gets rid of a "boring 1.5 mile cookie cutter" and gets a new short track, while the city gets the now-unused land to develop.

Skyline

Graphic Designer Skyline Customs
SRD Member
Reaction score
IMO If the Auto Club short track works out, I could see them doing the same to Chicagoland. While the county has said the track is safe as is, doing the same they are doing to Auto Club would make sense. NASCAR gets rid of a "boring 1.5 mile cookie cutter" and gets a new short track, while the city gets the now-unused land to develop.
But Chicago has been fantastic these past couple years

DaleTona75

Unhealthily Obsessed With Backmarkers
SRD Member
Reaction score
But Chicago has been fantastic these past couple years
Sort of the same boat as why Auto Club was good. The only reason it is as good as it is, is the old pavement, but when it comes time to repave, back to snoozervile we go.

They both were boring AF tracks, then they got to a point where the track got worn enough to create exctiement. Almost any track can be good with a rough, tire eating racing surface.

Chicagoland just so happens to be sitting in the sweet spot ATM in terms of track wear.

MillsLayne

2x Champ, guys.
SRD Member
Reaction score
The timing of this with the inevitable repave is actually really good. Auto Club has been great, but that'll go away as soon as it's repaved, so why not get a new short track. A WEST COAST short track! I'm happy.

German500

SRD Member
Reaction score
That comes at the expense of Kern County Raceway and Irwindale Raceway.

And for IndyCar there is no longer an oval available on the west coast. Whereby they have their headquarters in Long Beach when it comes to races in the greater Loas Angeles area.