Downloads
Updated

Getting Around DEP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cody Ficker

@ApocApollo
Reaction score
About a month and a half ago, I upgraded my operating system from Windows 7 64bit to Windows 8.1 64bit because I found the OS on for dirt cheap from a key reseller. I installed it, but was able to keep my Papyrus folder in-tact. After the upgrade, NR2003 said I didn't have a legit installation, which is kind of whatever. So I reinstalled NR2003, gave it administrative privileges, turned off UAC, ran it compatibility mode and all. That leaves me with DEP.

Because of the unique way works (ergh, tries to), to disable DEP, you first have to disable Secure Boot, which is an option in the BIOS. This is where the issue lies. I bought this laptop a year ago, opting for the Windows 7 model over Windows 8 to make it cheaper. Because this laptop was built with Windows 7 in mind, there is no Secure Boot in the BIOS. Even after flashing to the newest BIOS, there is not Secure Boot. After doing some research, I learned that the manufacturer plans on not creating a BIOS with Secure Boot for laptops that have an upgraded OS.

So I'm in a rough spot. I literally cannot play NR2003 because of the BIOS' lack of Secure Boot. I'm posting here, hoping that someone, somewhere, has a work around to help me (short of reinstalling Windows 7).

David24

Supreme Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
I didn't know DEP had anything to do with Secure Boot. I know if you run a video card with 8 you have to disable it. First try holding Shift and clicking restart as this article suggests.
Disabling Secure Boot

Or follow the instructions in post #5 of this thread. Seems easier
Disable DEP in Windows 8.1

Nitro

SRD Member
Reaction score
Your first mistake was getting windows 8. I have it too, unfortunately. :(

Cody Ficker

@ApocApollo
Reaction score
Your first mistake was getting windows 8. I have it too, unfortunately. :(

Windows 8.1 isn't that bad, nowhere near what people lead on. There are some issues with it, but the OS is mostly just a copy+paste of Windows 7. I'm happy with it since I bought it for a cleaner UI than what Windows 7 offered.

The issue we have is we're trying to play an eleven year old game on it.

watsonz

#4TheCup
SRD Member
Reaction score
I also have windows 8. Here's how I did it:

Search 'cmd' in start menu

Right click 'run as administrator'

Copy this in the box: bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff

Hit enter

Restart your computer

It worked for me, and I never thought I would be able to play it! I hope it works for you.

Haha nevermind, I didn't even notice you already fixed it! Sorry.

Last edited:

TheGrunt

SRD Member
Reaction score
I don't need to disable DEP universally from the command line, just for the nr2003.exe and oggenc.exe. Nr2003 works just fine after this. This can be done through System Properties > Advanced > Performance > Data Execution Prevention, where you can disable DEP for single executables. I have now Windows 8.1, but it was the same previously for Windows 7. I don't like to lower my security settings because of some single program and definitely prefer this way over the universal disable.

I have Secureboot on and it definitely has nothing to do with DEP. Secureboot only checks through the booting sequence, that is kernel, driver and BIOS loading and it should, at least in theory, react to malicious low level rootkits by preventing the normal booting of the infected computer. It is a good addition to security and works on the level where normal anti-virus programs are completely ineffective.

Status
Not open for further replies.