1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

Government Shutdown

Discussion in 'Politics/Religion' started by Spike, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Spike

Spike Well-Known Member

So how long do you think this B.S. shutdown will last?

It's really unfortunate that Trump decided to use this tactic to try and get his border "fence". If he was really worried about terrorists getting into the country I think he should move that fence to the northern border, if I'm not mistaken most of the foreign terrorist have come thru the US/Canadian border. Funny thing is he would have had over $20 Billion in funding if he would have agreed to the DACA thing last year, he is some deal maker :confused::D. I just can't believe he said that he can relate to the furloughed workers, PUHLEASE he hasn't been poor a day in his life, he doesn't have a damn clue.

Let the debate begin and let's try to keep it civil ;)

2. Thunder98

Thunder98 Same shit, different day. Admin

What's the over/under on thread post count before shit hits the fan? I'm betting 19. lol

3. ThatOneShredder

ThatOneShredder Why are you the way that you are?

Oh it's not gonna make it to the second page lol

4. RacerXero84

RacerXero84 Obnoxious old fart

Personally don't care about the shutdown. Government is too big as is. I've been in the position where I wasn't going to get paid (Obama-era), and I still didn't care. Oh, I'm sure there will be economic ramifications, but seriously, the country is still functioning fine and well overall in the meantime. Just reinforces my belief that the government is too large in unnecessary ways.

As for the wall/fence/etc.... just declare the national emergency already and get the process going. It's within his power to do it, so do it. The money is in the Pentagons defense spending (over $100 billion). Do it. Because if you take that bargaining chip away from House Dems and Schumer.... he can leverage something else. Like actually fixing the VA. Or push through that middle class tax break. Or something resolving DACA. The list goes on and on.

Give me my wall, and personally would have a caveat where a "shoot to kill" order was given to protect against ANY crossings, you know, like some other countries do that care about sovereign land?
    Move onto the next crisis. Or the next shutdown, or the next argument about how this oversized federal government blows ridiculous amounts of money on foreign related crap. Same song, different verse.

5. thedude1987

thedude1987 King of Pepsi, Racer, Family Man!

6. TheOutlaw1272

TheOutlaw1272 Maybe I'll be Tracer

"Only the feeblest of men take jobs from the government."
    -Dutch Van Der Linde

7. Evolution9

Evolution9 Just Be Yourself Dont Care What Other Thinks!

Think politics shouldnt be part of racing thing it just triggers people!

8. thedude1987

thedude1987 King of Pepsi, Racer, Family Man!

so do Hendrick Motorsports paint schemes OR referencing Kyle Busch as Dale Earnhardt or Richard Petty...

9. Tetronix

Tetronix Well-Known Member

But this is posted in a "Politics/Religion" subsection of the forums, not in the "NR2003 General Discussions". Personally, if you don't want your feelings / and or beliefs to get hurt, this side of the forums isn't quite the area to be. As long as the conversation stays civil, a little debating and discussion doesn't hurt anyone. That's just my opinion - sure, I might not post anything political, but I sure do learn a lot from reading what everyone sees and believes in.

EDIT: Plus, being Canadian, I have no idea how American politics work so I just read and observe while the others discuss the hot topics.

ThatOneShredder likes this.
  10. crazyboy335

crazyboy335 Do I Wanna Know?

I can't believe my generation is inheriting a country where a grown man and leader of a global superpower is trying to get his way by throwing a temper tantrum and shutting down the government.

Spike, hiarcracing, No1JGfan and 2 others like this.
  11. EarnhardtFan

EarnhardtFan Residential Twitch Addict

Yeaaaaah, why I had to graduate into this clusterfuck is beyond me.

As for the shutdown itself, it's wholly unnecessary, the GOP had majority in every branch when it shut down to my knowledge, so they could have passed it if they wanted to, correct me if I'm wrong (no really, please do). As for the $5 BILLION he's asking for the wall, it could be put to so much better use. I agree, we need better security, but this ain't the way to do it.

If Trump were to declare an emergency I personally think he waited too long, at this point he only has two years left in office, we all know that there we likely be all sorts of legal shit involved and back and forth fighting and lawsuits, etc, etc, which will likely push it back farther and farther each time and by the time that's over and construction actually starts Trump won't have much time left (unless he somehow gets reelected), at which point the next elected president will likely do whatever possible to stop the construction. So WHY. EVEN. BOTHER. at this point. Had he done it a year ago or so then whatever, I still wouldn't like it, but it also wouldn't have seemed like a 100% fruitless and drawn-out effort.

It's crazy to me that Trump would plummet his public image even further (with most people) by shutting down than improve it by putting that money elsewhere. Hell, if he put money into helping the homeless or veterans or whatever even I would applaud him, and I've made how I feel about him very clear here in the past, but he goes and does this instead.

/rant

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Spike likes this.
  12. ThatOneShredder

Sounds an awful lot like President Obama and his beloved health care reform that absolutely fucked me. But hey, I don't agree with our current situation either. We need a new civil war.... Those that live get their way, those that die, well... die. Me? I don't really care. If I live? Awesome. If I die? Well, I'll go down knowing I was enough for God, and that's all I've really cared about for the last 15 or so years.

Also.... this is what happens when you get on SRD when you're like ten drinks in at your local piano bar. At least its not one of those weird anime fanfics that usually get posted at like 4AM... we've got like four more hours of playing before that shit starts!

13. EarnhardtFan

EarnhardtFan Residential Twitch Addict

wuh

ThatOneShredder likes this.
  14. Thunder98

Thunder98 Same shit, different day. Admin

Both sides suck. Let's nuke Washington and start all over.

15. ThatOneShredder

This is what I was trying to say, but gig money (and gig liquor) made it into a much longer post.

Dude you have no idea. Every once in a while, I'll check SRD in the wee hours of the morning and there will be some weird ass anime thread started by some spam account about.... well..... gay anime sex. It's really interesting. Then again, its been a minute since I've seen one of those threads, but hey, you never know...

EarnhardtFan likes this.
  16. Darren Ingram

Darren Ingram Well-Known Member

The GOP has had a majority for 24 months in both Chambers of Congress, as well as holding the executive branch. If they wanted this wall so bad, they would have had a much easier time choosing to work towards it anytime at all for the last two years. Hell, there was a deal that had DACA and wall funding. The majority of Americans (according to literally every poll I have seen) do not want the wall. A wall would be ineffective anyways. Lets get the government reopened, so the 800,000 Americans going without pay now can not worry about paying rent/mortgage or worrying about paying for the next meal.

17. MrDude68

MrDude68 Occasional Backwards Driver

I seriously highly doubt that anyone working for the government who didn't get paid on Friday is actually at poverty's door now. Come on. No savings? Are they really living paycheck to paycheck?

RacerXero84 likes this.
  18. RacerXero84

Polls have been, and will continue to be, utter crap. They were crap in 2016, crap in 2018, and will be crap in 2020 and likely beyond. The methodology behind polling is ridiculous if you delve into it, and has been for quite some time.

Debatable. It's proven to work in various other countries that at one point had immigration issues. IMO, having a barrier statistically wouldn't hurt. Neither would having a 'shoot to kill' clause. It's like a home. The lock is a deterrence, my firearm is the enforcement. The lock wasn't so much for my safety as it was for theirs. People around me know I have firearms, I make sure to drop that fact periodically. Probably a reason as to why, when I was in GA, every house on my block at some point was robbed.... except mine. Could also be that people acknowledged me as "the crazy white boy", but that's an opinion.

I can tell you from experience, those 800K people aren't going to suffer. Whenever the government shuts down, many lending and banking services offer interest free loans to cover costs. It's a great PR move, as they know, and it's a sure bet that they get their money back, especially with back pay being authorized now. Nobody is missing any bills or meals. Typical media overdramatizing things.

19. RacerXero84

Believe it or not, many do. I did and technically still do, because I was digging myself out of the debt accrued just to live during 2012-2016. The ACA hit my family hard, and absolutely wiped out our savings in the process thanks to massive copay increases and monthly costs going through the roof. Before that, we were fine, but still somewhat paycheck to paycheck. We are now getting back to a point where we can put 200-300 each month away, and, if things continue as is, we should be 100% debt free by this time next year.

20. nj9703

nj9703 Very Stable Genius

You do realize this situation has happened before and isn’t limited to our generation in the slightest, right?