13 - GEICO For Your Boat Camaro - HOM Hendrick9Fan
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings
Downloads
Updated

Help using Sandbox for a street course and runoff/straight walls in turns

CpPolar268

SRD Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am trying to build my first racetrack (a street course) and I am running into some issues. I am trying to incorporate run off areas into the track (similar to Long Beach Turn 1) and trying to have the walls straight when the course turns (similar to the outside walls of Long Beach Turn 10). I imported what I had into NR2003 and had lots of inconsistencies relating to wall behavior.

Here are my questions:
- Does Sandbox "ignore" any walls if they are on a layer that is on top of another straight/curve layer? Is there a workaround?
- What is the best way of implementing a straight wall within a turn?
- What is the best way of implementing street-course style runoff areas? Do I create a straight section and just put it next to the turn or do I have to implement it with something outside of Sandbox?

Thanks!

Rufio2031

BBMC Tracks
SRD Member
Reaction score
You can't do the last option, I think Sandbox would break during Save.
I don't really know what you mean about your first bullet point. The wall shouldn't be ignored.

You can right click on a wall or F section in a curved segment and click "Set Euclid" or something like that.
The thing to note is that if you want to have a straight F section or W section (wall) in a curved segment, you need to make sure it doesn't come in touch with any of the X sections. If it does, it will ignore the Euclid and a little red X will appear and force itself to curved again.

Sometimes you'll notice large curved areas sometimes create weird graphical bumps or hitches, even if you have your wall straight. What I usually do in that case is chop the segment in half and continue to do so until I can get my X sections as straight as I can. Note though that some people believe creating too many segments will impact performance in the long run.

CpPolar268

SRD Member
Reaction score
I don't really know what you mean about your first bullet point. The wall shouldn't be ignored.
1593457832037.png

So this was my original attempt of doing the runoffs/straight walls in corners in Sandbox... I basically layered segments on top of each other and when I saved/imported them into the game, I was able to drive through these certain walls that were on top of each other.

I wasn't aware of what the "Set Eulicid" selection meant so I didn't use it originally. However, that seems to be the easier way to do what I'm trying to accomplish. Thanks for letting me know about it!

Rufio2031

BBMC Tracks
SRD Member
Reaction score
Hold the phone. You were able to Save that? AND load it in game? Any time I ever tried to add another detached segment the project blew up on me. As far as I understand there can only be one track. Could be why the other pieces are drive-through since they're not really part of the track. But just the fact you could load that is further than I would've imagined you could have got.

CpPolar268

SRD Member
Reaction score
I was able to save it and load it into the game... the problem being is that the textures were freaking out, the walls where X sections overlapped were able to be driven to and the racing line was freaking out

1593656889989.png

Rufio2031

BBMC Tracks
SRD Member
Reaction score
You're results are kind of what I'd expect. As I eluded to before, it's actually more than what I'd expect. I believe the proper way to do this though is to remove all the excess "tracks". There should only be one connected string of segments. You can "split segment" and use the Euclidean(?) settings to form what you need. It doesn't always come out the best because it's a rudimentary approach, but it's an old piece of software and you kind of got to work with what you got
I would imagine in the picture above your AI would also go absolutely ballistic through this turn if you were able to get that far.