How do I make high-res images?

Discussion in 'Logos - Decals - Graphics' started by SpeedEnergy, Mar 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpeedEnergy

SpeedEnergy New Member

How can a take a regular image from online and make it a high-res psd file? thanks for any help!

2. Sage

Sage Well-Known Member

Photo? Logo? If you could be a little less vague in what it is you're trying to do someone might be able to help you. You don't go to the mechanic and say 'my car makes a funny noise' without telling them where, do you? Or to the Doctor and say,' I have a pain' without supplying more information?

Do you get where I'm going with this?

So...
    What image?
    Example?
    Which design program are you using?

1 person likes this.
  3. David24

David24 Well-Known Member

People do this everyday. I've experienced it.

You can't make say a 500x500 image 1000x1000 without subtracting quality. (unless it's an EPS file)

Now if your talking about a logo, what I'd do is get a fairly decent size image. Open it up in your paint program and make it however big you want. Then create a new layer and start tracing. That's essentially how it's done without going into detail.

1 person likes this.
  4. Josh Mertz

Josh Mertz #JB17

I'm telling you, people always look for the magic button that does things for them.

Remember that one user that posted a 50x50 or whatever image, and said to open it in word and expand it? XD

5. SpeedEnergy

SpeedEnergy New Member

I use GIMP, say I wanted to enlarge the pepsi logo, but it looks crappy at a large size, how do i make this high-resolution with layers

6. John Gamboa

John Gamboa Well-Known Member

Unless you want to change the colors of the Pepsi globe, just use the svg file from there and use that. It works like an eps file in that you can make it as big or little as you want.

1 person likes this.
  7. JasonRSC

JasonRSC Former SRD Crew Member

I can honestly say this has happened to me more than a dozen times at the print shop I work at.

8. MetalSlug

MetalSlug New Member

You're going to do this in one of three ways.

One, open it up in GIMP, expand it to the size you want it, (I use a width of 1000 as a general rule of thumb) and then create a new layer, and trace it on the new layer.

Two, get a vector tracing program that traces raster images and creates vector images. The advantage of a vector image is no matter how big you make it, it will always be high quality. Vector formats are file formats such as EPS, SVG, GPS and PS, EPS and SVG being the most common.

Three post a request online and hope like hell somebody picks it up. Lol.

9. Checker_MC

Checker_MC Well-Known Member

I tell you what I do.

I open the original image in PSP (you use gimp or psd or whatever, doesn't matter) and resize it by 1000%. So a 500x500 pixel image will be 5000x5000 pixel. Of course it's quite pixelated now. :err:

Afterwards I paste a new layer over the one with the image and redraw the lines with the bezir tool. That's a little work but it certainly helps.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.