1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

I will never touch NR2003 again....

Discussion in 'iRacing.com Motorsports Simulations' started by 13Misfit13, Jul 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 13Misfit13

13Misfit13 Well-Known Member

It's sad but true....I just got done being glued to my computer for the past 5 hours and I am hooked. The sad part is that this game is so absolutely fantastic....It makes it worth the money and then some. The graphics are absolutely phenominal, It still has the papyrus feel to it so it's easy as hell to navigate and figure out. The road racing it the best part (for me at least) because you can actually drive it like a real car and not feel like you are on ice. You can hold it slideways off the corners and correct it.....No...I mean it, absolutely slideways and save it. Not accidental or I can't believe I saved it's but honest to god saved it. The physics are everything they were made out to be.

The only real drawback is the price. 15-25 for the tracks and 15 for the cars. Those are for single cars and tracks....So if you want the sk's, skip barber 2000's and the latemodels it would be $45. But other than that....sadly it is totaly worth it. The other draw back is that you cant paint your own cars like NR2003. You can change the scheme in game from choices that they have but that's it.

The worst part of it all is having to admit I was wrong...This sim rocks, and other than painting cars for NR2003, I will never use it as a racing sim again.

2. MattSRD28

MattSRD28 SRD Pick'em Series Commissioner Moderator

I'm not sure where you've wandered off of what the expectations for iRacing were. We all looked at the pics, said the sim looked pretty sweet but the prices are just flat rape & it seriously sucks that you can't paint your own car.

There's no way I could afford something like iRacing. I'm sure same goes for many current NR2003 users.

3. Bladead1

Bladead1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, im only 16....no job....therefore I cant afford those outragious prices, even if it LOOKS better than NR2003

4. mrediker

mrediker Guest

Thus the difference. iRacing is a more serious racing Sim, and N2K3 is slipping into the "game" category.

But the cost isn't really that bad if you consider the $ per hour. In the first week on iRacing I know I have spent 20+ hours driving. That makes it less than a buck an hour for an entertaining hobby.

5. 13Misfit13

$164 for a years subscription = .45 cents a day.....how is that not affordable?
    On top of that if you sign for a years subscription they give you a $60 credit that you can use for buying a different series car or tracks as well as at the end of the summer they are going to give you another $15. They are also going to constantly have promotional deals as well as the game will be constantly updated, maintained and improved....The bottom line is that it is really not that expensive, has a far better physics engine than NR2003, ASR and RFactor, and is up to date with the technology that we use for gaming.

6. bytor2112

bytor2112 Well-Known Member

Iracing......the Dark side are these.:no:

A N2k3 racer feels not these things!

once down the Dark path, forever will it control your destiny!:spinny:

N2K3 Rocks! Painting Cars Rock! Free Online Racing Rocks!:notworthy:

I pray to the sim racing gods to allow us to continue to rub paint for free.:yes:

I for one can have waaaaaaay more fun, and save that money for cooler wheels, faster video cards, 3D glasses, wide screen monitors.......... :D

OH AND IF YOUR NEVER GONNA TOUCH THE NASCAR 2003 AGAIN...
    can you send me your cd :D I know alot of people that would love to have it! :LOL:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  7. Lap_Down

Lap_Down Well-Known Member

I have no (long term) interest in racing in a car that I didn't paint; sad but true. And graphics are almost meaningless to me if I can't watch my own car in the replay. :huh: :)

I really do love road racing though, but I just bought GTR2 for 9 bucks at Best-Buy and that game is simply amazing, plus you can download tons of mods for it for free. The best thing about GTR2 IMO is that the track changes for morning to afternoon to dusk to night in a single race (you can accelerate time). The effect is just too cool. :)

Plus, in GTR2 you can also paint your own car (even if it is a bit more complicated that in NR2003). :)

8. Jerry Luther

Jerry Luther Guest

How does it compare to the Arca Sim?

9. 13Misfit13

ARCA is a cheap rip-off of the stockcar evolution mod built on the crappy isi-based physics engine......nuff said. You guy's can tell me that not painting your own cars or free racing is enough to keep you away but that is the exact reason why papy went under in the first place. Cash flow is needed to keep a game up and running and constantly updated and papy did not have that....well now they do and the game is what it is supposed to be. iRacing is basically papy with major funding. Brain simpson is on all the time, Kaemer is on....all the things that I liked about NR2003 are present they have just been updated with a better layout and a better physics package. So what if I can't race for "free" online....oh well...no more wreckers, no more hacks...no more nonsense. Good God I am glad to be rid of it.

Oh and I don't have to race an antiquated physics engine that feels like ice....oh well. And so what if I can't paint my own cars right now....If thats what I have to give up to have the best side to side racing I have had in my 5 years of online racing....so be it. If I have to pay $15 for cars and $20 for tracks so that I know I am going to get the best product possible that will be maintained and updated.....I will give it happily. There is absolutely no reason why anyone should have a problem with paying to play if they want the best available....NR2003 should have been replaced 4 years ago but they tanked and now they are back with something much better. I don't blame them for going after the community the way they did now that I see what and why they were protecting. I would have done the same thing.

Let's see...actual laser scaned tracks and cars (Not ASR claimed which is nothing more than a freaking lie with models from a previous mod) that have a physics engine closer to the real thing (again not ASR's bogus as real as it gets claim because we used and tweaked isi engine and said lookie lookie it real) than anything I have ever tried other than slamming my eclipse into the corners at blackhawk. My wallet is open as far as I can stretch it if thats what it takes. Sorry boy's and girls but NR2003 is nothing more than EA fodder now that it's physics are no longer relavant.

Here's an idea though...save the hundred and fifty bucks I would charge you for my copy of NR2003 and buy yourself a years subscription at iRacing and when that year is over....and you can't say that it was well worth your money...I'll send you my copy!

10. Jason Roush

Jason Roush Well-Known Member

All I am going to say is this. Not everyone can afford it, bottom line.

You do not know everyone's expense situations & to ask how it is not affordable....to some might be personal that they do not want to talk about for various reasons. To some $150 is alot, whether it be for a week, month or a year.

I for one can find better causes for a $150 to go towards......gas, bills, kids, wife, fishing & so on.

I will continue to paint cars for NR2003 & play it, I like it. Does that make me an outcast because I choose not to buy into it....who cares.

11. MattSRD28

MattSRD28 SRD Pick'em Series Commissioner Moderator

You seem to be under the delusion that iRacing is some resurrected form of Papyrus - it's not. iRacing is simply using stuff they bought and then threatened anyone else at gunpoint not to even touch. Feel free to enjoy your 'the ends justify the means' conclusion, but I'm not going to forget the crap they pulled. I don't care if they've made the best sim on the planet, which they haven't. I'm not going to forget the crap they pulled.

I am racing the best available, in my opinion. You talk about stuff that's irrelevant - PWF is irrelevant now. Their truck/busch mods have been replaced with more realistic looking bodies. SS.net gave us a great COT mod without all the 'soon' crap we got with PWF. They were perfectly up front with what was going on with that project all the time.

Thanks to them and the community, I'll be racing NR2003 for years to come. I'll not touch iRacing one bit for reasons described and more. Their outrageous prices are just one issue I have. Say what you want about the physics engine, I just raced Chicagoland night last night and it felt great. Guess I'll be some outcast now in your eyes, but as Jason says, who cares.

12. 13Misfit13

Yep that's me...Mr. Delusional....updated bodies with out-dated physics seems pretty irrelevant to me. Six year old physics must be up to date silly delusional me. I must be Mr. Delusional for thinking that Kaemmer who was one of the founders of Papyrus Design Group....never mind all that, he must have stole his own work and Brought Brian simpson along for the ride just to rub it in his face. And I am sure that if Brian Simpson is involved that no one else from the original papy group is there either. Stupid me...they must have bought and stole their own work. Hold on a sec...wait a minute...where am I? I must be delusional again....silly me always getting mixed up and confused. For a second there I thought I was in america again and was allowed to have an opinion about iRacing in an iRacing forum section but I should have known from our last interaction Daveyfan that that was wrong and so am I.

And i am sure I just forgot where I was cause I know this post will be locked or trashed like the last one I was so wrong in because I am really posting this at RSC. What's irrelevant is having a section in your forums about iRacing if you can't even post in it about what you find to be better than what you have been playing for 5 years without being told your delusional or without having the game bashed because of personal feelings. Did I post this in the NR2003 area and not realize it? Whats irrelevant is trashing a sim you have never even raced and telling someone they are delusional for having an opinion.

If you don't have the money......fine....If you drove it and don't like it....fine....but to bash it because you don't like the fact that someone protected their property (Kaemmer-Original Founder-His work) and then make it a personal issue with me by calling me delusional because you don't like what I have to say.....oh crap...I forgot where I was going with all of this....stupid delusions getting me confused again. I guess I must be the outcast for wanting somthing better to race than a six year old game.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  13. Jason Roush

Delusional.....no, over dramatic...maybe. I never bashed IRacing nor closed any of your threads. Good god man, chill. Seems to me you are the one that gets a little defensive if people do not follow in line with your opinions. I have always been a fan of your work but geesh....................take it easy.

14. bytor2112

Wow, I hope I didn't help stir up a hornets nest!:shocked:

It is OK for you to be in love with iracing, as long as it is OK for me to love Papyrus! :D

....oh and unless I a sadley mistaken, Papyrus (as well as Sierra) stopped producing NASCAR games because EA Sports bought the exclusive rights to NASCAR PC games for their NASCAR Thunder series.

I believe that to be the true reason for Papyrus departing the racing game market. just an FYI :)

15. cinch

cinch Guest

First time post here, and I thought this was a topic I will say a few words.

To everyone who can not afford IRacing, sorry for your luck, hope you enjoy your outdated graphics and physics, much less dodging the hackers that like to run on both open servers as well as Locked servers, I can bet you one thing that there are at least 2 to 3 drivers in N2003 that hack,cheat their ass off. So sorry for your luck. I for one thought that Iracing was going to cost to much, till I received an invite and starting driving with a group of people that I have never raced in my life, and we had a clean race all the way thru. I just saved up the yearly sub money and got myself set. So with that said Do what you may do what you might, but dont bash and call out or be rude to someone that was just giving some information about a great sim, Last I checked this is a free world, but to be a complete butthole to a person is just not right.

Thanks for your time!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2008
  16. Jason Roush

Don't feel sorry for me buddy because I play an outdated physics game, not sure I understand the graphics being outdated though. But again, please don't feel sorry for me.

I somehow will manage to go on in life, how I do not know. It will be a struggle, I do know that.

And you are right, it is a free world, no doubt about it. Anyone can have an opinion, which is how it should be. One should just not express an opinion where it is going to offend someone else & start a fight here on this site. And why I say that is although it maybe a free world, this is a privately owned board.

You will not catch me bashing IRacing. I'm sure it is all that & a bag of chips...I guarentee it is. But do not expect me to believe that all the races are clean, wreck free races....I have read differently at other various sites.

I will stick to NR2003 for various reasons though, valid reasons at that & do not soley rest on how much it costs...I could afford it if choose to do so, I can find better reasons to spend my money on as stated earlier in a post. All I ask is do not bash NR2003 as I have seen before. Do not make users feel less of a Nascar Fan, Sim Racer & more importantly a person for not purchasing IRacing for whatever there reason may be.

And watch the language as well please.

17. bytor2112

Amen Jason,

I too feel a wee bit offended because I like NASCAR 2003.
    I truely believe that the right group of guys can make any sim league work.

I am happy for iracing, and its obviously excited many! As you stated "I am sure iracing is all that and a bag of chips" I agree!
    As far a physics go......um I don't actually race any COT's or such so cannot give a fair assesment. I do run in a GN70 league, and we have worked hard on chassis and physics to match 1970 feel. Our lap times are right in line with records set in 1970, and I can feel the ol Bias Ply tire feel.
    I will never know what sim feels most like a racecar, cuz I dont drive one.
    I do enjoy trading paint with some of the best guys I ever came across, and I have a ball doing it. After all isnt that the reason we race?

If iracing gets you going.........yeah buddy! get all over it., just don't bash me for getting all excited a day before the Big Daytona race on N2k3!

Heck, I still think Pong was pretty cool! :LOL:

Thank god its a free country, and I can still post my opinions on this board :)

18. Threewideracing

Threewideracing Active Member

Well i will say a few things here....

1. It's not just $156, if and when they release the basic NASCAR tracks it will cost upwards of $350!! Plus the cars and the yearly sub....NO WAY!! You will be in hock $1000's of dollars for a sim that is really no different than NR2K3!

2. There are wreckers in iRacing, even when you qualify in the top 15 out of 600 - 700 people for the week, there will be idiots in the race!! TRUST ME!

3. IMHO... if you have your G25 setup right and you know how to setup the car in NR2K3, it's not to much different from "I" get ripped off!! :LOL:

3b. Also i said this at RSC, the south boston track that was made for NR2K3 is really no different to the iRacing one, except a few bumps and the modeled size of the one for iRacing!! Thanks to the maker of the SOBO track also!

Though like you say misfit i can accept your opinion as well i hope you do mine! :cool:

19. MWick4

MWick4 SRD SuperTruck Series Director

If NR2K3 wasnt so rare or expensive on ebay i would not still be playing the demo... but the demo is fun too

20. Alex Kessler

Alex Kessler xanderk

If you shop around, you can find a good price. I bought NR2003 originally in 2003, for about $40. But I corrupted a file and had lost the key, so I bought it again in 2007 on ebay for $30. Just be patient and you can find a copy for cheep.

On the whole price thing, even if you spend $200 on the NR2003 and $300 on the best wheel out there, that is still just half of what you could pay for iracing in one year and you don't have to buy it again once that year is over.

Real drivers still use NR2003, and that's good enough for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.