0.00 star(s) 0 ratings
Downloads
Updated

IMSA Racing Discussion

mtblillie

It's MTB Lillie, not MT Billy
SRD Member
Reaction score
First off, I always feel like I'm breaking unwritten rules by posting threads like this, so if it needs to be shut down, I totally understand. I'm surprised with all the other racing discussions that this hasn't been posted yet (unless it is titled something that I didn't think of searching for).

I was looking at the practice sessions for the 24 Hours of Daytona and saw pictures of the new Corvette (which we have talked a little about here). I do think it looks too much like the Acura NSX GT3, but I do really like opposite schemes for the team cars they have this year:
ezgif-3-b9cc322b0820.jpg

oddball

SRD Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's inappropriate. I wondered last year where the 24 Hours of Daytona/Lemans and IMSA discussions were. It seems they were forgotten. I enjoy that type of racing. So if it's just you and me, that's cool. :)

mtblillie

SRD Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up, they are airing a recap of the Prototype Challenge race at Daytona tomorrow on NBCSN, 4:30-5:30 est.

For some reason, the race is broadcast live on IMSA tv around the world, except in the States, the freakin home country to the series, because NBC has the broadcast rights, even though they only air a shortened version two weeks later. Pretty much the same for the Michelin Pilot Challenge race the Friday before the 24. Hopefully the full races will be on youtube at some point like last year.

mtblillie

SRD Member
Reaction score
Rick Ware Racing will have an entry to the Rolex 24, and may try to compete in the full season. The entry at Daytona will be in the LMP2 Class and will have James Davidson, Mark Kvamme, Cody Ware and Johnathan Hoggard as drivers.

https://us.motorsport.com/imsa/news...unces-rolex-24-entry-line-up/4615502/?nrt=207

Also, with the fall of the Ford GT program, there will be no ford entries as of yet into the WeatherTech SportsCar Championship (though there will still be Mustang GTs in the Michelin Pilot Challenge series), and Chip Ganassi Racing will end its 16 year streak in the series.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/cgr-set-to-forgo-daytona-ends-imsa-program/

mtblillie

SRD Member
Reaction score
After playing the shortened version of the Prototype Challenge race at Daytona yesterday, the race has been uploaded in its entirety on youtube. Lets just say it was a hot soup and warm clothes kind of day.
Also, if anyone is interested, I have some race information and links here. I am hoping to find AC mods and possibly skins that reflect this race, if anyone was wanting to recreate it.

FloridaFan88

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Rolex 24 Broadcast Schedule:
Saturday, January 25th
1:30pm-2:30pm: NBC
2:30pm-6:00pm: NBCSN
6:00pm-11:00pm: NBC Sports App
11:00pm-3:00am Sunday: NBCSN

Sunday, January 26th
3:00am-6:00am: NBC Sports App
6:00am-12:00pm: NBCSN
12:00pm-2:00pm: NBC

All 24 hours will be streamed on NBC's Trackpass ($) and IMSA radio (free).

Dodgeman4345

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
I don't like when they put it on the NBC Sports App. Lol.

mtblillie

SRD Member
Reaction score
To the surprise of no one, Rick Ware Racing withdraws from the Rolex 24.
https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/rwr-riley-lmp2-withdraws-from-rolex-24/
I had heard someone dropped out but didn't know who. They claimed they were going to "attempt" the entire championship in LMP2 class.

I don't like when they put it on the NBC Sports App. Lol.
It was bad enough when you had to keep switching between NBC and NBCSN, now you have to watch part online too lol

Dodgeman4345

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
It was bad enough when you had to keep switching between NBC and NBCSN, now you have to watch part online too lol
I actually don't mind switching back and forth between NBC and NBCSN. Of course I have to record most of it anyway since I have to work this weekend. Which is the main reason I don't like the race being on the NBC Sports App. They have it online when I will be sleeping and won't be able to see that part of the race anyway. Lol.

oddball

SRD Member
Reaction score
I don't like that the best part of the race (sunset) is on the app... I wish they could have an hour more time on live tv.

FloridaFan88

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Practice/Qualifying Schedule (IMSA Radio only)
Thursday, January 23
10:05-11:05 a.m. ET, Free Practice 1
12:45-2:15 p.m. ET, Free Practice 2
4:15-5:20 p.m. ET, Qualifying
7:15-8:45 p.m. ET, Free Practice 3

Friday, January 24
9:50-10:50 a.m. ET, Free Practice 4
1:00-5:10 p.m. ET, Michelin Pilot Challenge Race

mtblillie

SRD Member
Reaction score
The Michelin Pilot race will be broadcast on IMSA tv everywhere except the US. Again, it will be on NBCSN in early February as a shortened version, but should be on YouTube shortly thereafter. Most of these events will be on TrackPass.

FloridaFan88

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2020/...route-to-top-class-prototype-convergence.html

Main highlights of new agreement:
  • IMSA's new LMDh cars and ACO Hypercars will unify under one class
  • 2nd generation DPi will be renamed to LMDh (Le Mans Daytona hybrid)
  • LMDh cars are eligible to compete in the WEC beginning in 2021-22 season and will begin IMSA competition in 2022
  • LMDh cars will have a KERS system
  • Balance of performance will be used to equalize the cars
Really happy to see this finally happen. Everyone benefits from this, and I can't wait to see what these cars will look like.

mtblillie

SRD Member
Reaction score
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2020/...route-to-top-class-prototype-convergence.html

Main highlights of new agreement:
  • IMSA's new LMDh cars and ACO Hypercars will unify under one class
  • 2nd generation DPi will be renamed to LMDh (Le Mans Daytona hybrid)
  • LMDh cars are eligible to compete in the WEC beginning in 2021-22 season and will begin IMSA competition in 2022
  • LMDh cars will have a KERS system
  • Balance of performance will be used to equalize the cars
Really happy to see this finally happen. Everyone benefits from this, and I can't wait to see what these cars will look like.
I am also happy for this, but I know many who don't like that IMSA caters into FIA and WEC and will probably be even more upset at this news.

I only recently got into GT style racing so all of this is still pretty new to me. As I understand it for the last several years DPi (IMSA's top prototype class) has been ineligible for FIA/WEC series (namely, the 24hrs of Le Mans), meaning if a team was going to try and run IMSA and WEC, they would have to build two completely separate cars with separate rules packages. Competing in GTLM and LMP2 classes make it easier to do that, because P2 cars are a step down from P1 and GTLM cars are essentially the same. Bumping DPi cars into a P1 type category will hopefully give incentive for crossover for IMSA teams to WEC and vise versa. Although classes change all the time so I wonder if any changes will happen between GTLM, LMP2, and GTD classes over the next couple years.

FloridaFan88

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Everything you said was correct. I don't see LMP2 and GTD changing too much for a while, as they're both healthy classes. GTLM/GTE, however, has some uncertainty because car counts haven't been as high as it was previously and those cars are expensive to run.