1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

International Competitive Racing Mod Development Thread

Discussion in 'NR2003 General Discussion' started by Mystical, Nov 16, 2019.

1. mtblillie

mtblillie Well-Known Member

It would be kind of nice to be able to paint over the rear windows, there are a lot more examples of logos going over the windows than the 18 Hardee's car, BUT all of the examples I believe are older than Gen 6 (so prior to 2013) with the exception of some of the series in other countries put the side numbers over the windows rather than on the side of the body. I honestly feel that having transparent windows just looks better and is probably why you haven't seen paintable windows in a long time.

Honestly Mystical you should do what you think is best and not worry too much about it. It will be a great product regardless and you can't really please everyone. They will either get over what they don't like or they won't. If you would rather put transparent windows than you should.

Mystical likes this.
  2. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

Yeah I can see good reason to want paintable rear windows. However for this mod it would be nice to not have those windows I think as part of the template's UV set so I could free up more space. Having all the windows on one shared texture would make it easier to just group the models all up as well.

USSTalladega and mtblillie like this.
  3. AntCurtain

AntCurtain Well-Known Member

I havn't been posting much stuff here, but this concept seems amazing and the models are looking beautiful right now.

In terms of the rear windows, I'd say they probably won't matter that much if their painted or not. It seems like there's plenty of space on the quarter panels to put logos, and most paint schemes nowadays seem to keep their decals on the body anyways. The only things I would use paintable windows for would be if I wanted to put numbers on them like in Supercars.

In terms of the splitter/valence thing I guess I agree with @nascarfreak88 's opinion. For oval racing cars (stock cars), I've never really liked how splitters look, so I'd go with short splitter/tall valence (or ideally no splitter/tall valence); but then I love how splitters look on GT cars, especially gracing through winding corners and hopping over curbs, which would make me side with short valence/long splitter (or ideally no valence/long splitter). But yeah, I guess since this is a based off modern stock cars, I'd side with short splitter/tall valence.

But anyways, I can't wait to see how this progresses! Thanks for posting your progress here and taking us all on this ride with you!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    nascarfreak88 and Mystical like this.
  4. WinstonCup426

WinstonCup426 Well-Known Member

I'll also vote for no splitter/tall valence (and write in a suggestion to raise the rear QPs, if that's allowed), but either way this is really cool. Thanks a bunch for doing this!

Mystical likes this.
  5. NascarGuy42

NascarGuy42 Well-Known Member

This is turning out amazing so far man, so awesome to see someone new interested in modding. I'd say no splitter, tall valence has another vote. ;)

Mystical likes this.
  6. ERS

ERS Well-Known Member

Looks great! Coming from a 58 year old, I can't tell you how much I appreciate what you and everyone else does to keep this game alive. NR2003 is the only sim/video I "play". Having done so for about 14 years. Often heard, "... where's dad? ... He's probably racin' "

It does seem that at this point, from my perspective, the game has gotten stale. I think much of that has to do with the sport of NASCAR and the road it has taken. Not to be the "old geezer", but not what it used to be.

So again, Thank You, good luck. I love the idea of fictionals and multiple manufacturers, as you can see (different versions of same model name)..... (credits are too many to give, so I just credit the entire community. most paints by me).

Fictional.jpg Fictional2.jpg

7. J.Smoove

J.Smoove Member

Personally I like the short valence, short splitter or long valence, long splitter. Not a big fan of the mismatched size either way

8. DERacing

DERacing SRD's Resident Lunatic!

What did I miss?! :cool::D

MasGrafx likes this.
  9. Jonny683

Jonny683 Well-Known Member

Is it safe to say that this will be a "One body fits all" Type car or are we getting 4 different models?

10. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

The middle section for each car will be the same. Front and Rear bumper will have different shapes but nothing super detailed so any fictional makes could be created for them (rounded, pointy, harder flat front, etc.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    USSTalladega, InsideLine and ERS like this.
  11. 123456789colton

123456789colton Well-Known Member

Short splitter, but like really short!

12. Smoke OR

Smoke OR Official Toad Hunter.

Yes you can have paintable tires and rims. Check your pm.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    Mystical likes this.
  13. Renault Fan

Renault Fan Well-Known Member

Just saw this and looks great so far, I like the idea of the of rear windows being paintable, allow more proper car bodies rather than one window designs for all. I thought it looked good in NR2002.

Attached Files:

14. USSTalladega

USSTalladega Making a comeback!

1) This is a really neat idea and I like were you're going with this.

2) Did I read that right? Unique spoiler design per model? Awesome if so!

3) Tall valence with short splitter.

4) Paintable rear side windows. Just because it hasn't been allowed for a long ass time on the real cars, there's no reason why this FICTIONAL mod should adhere to those same rules. Which kinda leads into my final point.

5) Fully paintable chassis(like with Cup98) would be freaking sweet. If that is something you would even consider that is.

Either way you go with all that I'd still be putting many hours into this mod.

mtblillie and DaleTona75 like this.
  15. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

1) Thanks, I am hoping to see it through, its only been like a week or so but progress has been going well.

2) Spoiler design will be the same per car body, but I am still locking down the design/how it looks. The only parts that will looks different is the front nose and the rear with different indent design but nothing too dramatic.

3) This seems to be the popular splitter/valence design which makes me happy I am going in the right direction as it is the splitter/valence design I like the most as well.

4) I kinda blew out the side windows in prep to make them like the other windows (real transparent ones). Rear paintbale windows seems to be a really popular thing, I kinda wanted realistic windows instead of having to paint them. That is not to say I don't want the side rear windows to not be painted on (I wouldn't mind) but just the way transparency works I don't think the paintjob can have transparency so if it goes on the template them means fake windows essentially, I worry it might look too tacky.

5) The chassis being paintable is that like how Dale Sr's car on the bottom was red? I didn't think about it but I would have to allocate even more space on the template. I will see about it. I plan to have a dev post tomorrow with all of this week's progress (hopefully). I will discuss more in depth the template and whats planned to be paintable on the template in due time.

USSTalladega likes this.
  16. USSTalladega

USSTalladega Making a comeback!

Ah ok. Whatever design you go with I'm sure it'll look cool.

Yeah that makes sense. I can see how it would be tacky too now that I think about it more.

Exactly, the whole chassis was painted. If you are worried about space look at how it's done on the Cup98 templates. The sacrifice is that the quality of the underside of the car will be quite low but maybe you can find a better space? Just something to think about that would make the schemes stand out more than just the regular paintable roll bars that are in most mods.

Mystical likes this.
  17. RacerXero84

RacerXero84 Obnoxious old fart

I kind of figured it would be a matter of time before you delved into this; you have the same cravings I've had for models/templates (truthfully, I don't have the time nor the drive/focus to do it... call me lazy, whatever, is what it is lol).

I do strongly like your overall mission statement and your plan of execution. I have only one piece of advice:

Do it how YOU want it. It is, after all, a fictional creation based from your desires. You've done amazingly well in the past with creating things that started out as an idea in your head, so I caution you on taking on too much feedback and thus deviating from what YOU want the mod to be.

I believe the style in which you are putting this together (template wise) is going to be enough to appease even the most picky of the masses; you clearly outlined a plethora of template options (and knowing the community, there will inevitably be more later on).

Look forward to seeing your progress, and I hope you don't get discouraged, as I did once upon a time.

18. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

I definitely appreciate the support for sure. So far nothing at the moment is discouraging me yet. I'd say making this mod feels on the same level as UIE 2013 (with its several unknowns/challenges) and the grind of Yas Marina (never-ending 3do's to make) combined. Its all about staying focused and doing each small piece one at a time. I have far better tools at my disposal these days that I use which makes a lot of the creation process faster/better/easier. Also for the first time with NR2003 I have tracking software which makes managing bigger projects like this a lot easier to break things down, plan out what I do bi-weekly, and track overall progress of each element. I'll have info on all that and more in future dev posts as I progress through the entire process.

crazyboy335 likes this.
  19. MrDude68

MrDude68 Occasional Backwards Driver

Yeah, this to me is the best reasoning for having paintable rear windows. On the other hand, there are also great reasons to go in the other direction...

Either way, it's not like the rear windows are going to make or break the mod. It's going to be awesome no matter what, I trust that much

Mystical likes this.
  20. MattyO

MattyO Well-Known Member Admin

In my experience, and @Smoke OR can attest to this when we would test the NXS mods, the more shit we put on the car templates that mapped to the car models, the worse our FPS's would get.

Now, that could be several reasons why, could be the way the script was originally written by KingDA. Could have been what we were mapping to the car template. I don't know. Others seem to be able to map a ton of shit to the car templates and not have the problems we had.

Anyway, I planned on posting the NXS11 mod files so that everyone can see how the file structure was done as well as the scripting part of it. Might help with trying to figure out how to do a mod step by step.

Someone keep on me about it and I'll get it posted when I swing back in town.

mtblillie, Mystical, Tetronix and 3 others like this.