1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

iRacing- A negative review

Discussion in 'iRacing.com Motorsports Simulations' started by TheEgg, May 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcusl26

marcusl26 Well-Known Member

Recently they removed the Advanced Solstice and added the Spec Racer Ford. I would recommend trying that car, because, in my opinion it's a blast. It also has similar characteristics to the Skip Barber. Off throttle will cause the rear end to become unpredictable and help the car rotate, and purely off what I've heard, it appears to be accurate.

To be honest I am not sure what you mean by the tracks being bad, but I respect your opinion. The dimensions may appear the same as other mod makers have made, but to me the "level above" factor comes from the bumps and camber of the tracks, which only the laser scanning can supply. If you have a force feedback wheel setup it will definitely make the car feel alive and applied to the track, instead of on top of it. I know you don't have Daytona, but the difference between the repaved Talladega and the bumpiness of Daytona is unparalleled, in my opinion.

The tire wear is supposed to be Kaemmer's (aka Dev de NR2003) next primary project of iRacing. As for now the tire modeling is limited and basic, but luckily the pay-to-pay prospect of iRacing guarantees that it will be improved. You can easily lower your tire wear by locking up the brakes. You can see your wear in a percentage in the garage or through the F4 screen while driving, but it will only show your last set of tires (it is not live wear) You can also blow a tire due to excessive lock up over the course of a 20 lap race at Lime Rock if you don't manage them. Unfortunately the blow outs are only applicable for now, but do not appear visually. (Your wheel will vibrate like hell though.)

Your races are pre-scheduled due to the arrive and drive championships scheduled by iRacing. This allows for every race to be official and offers one week for people to get a championship race in. There are 24 hour of fun races once a week with odd cars and tracks where SR and iRating are not affected. This allows for less pressure, but you must own the content for where they will be racing. If everyone was allowed to hold their own races at will then races would be diluted and the iRacing structure would not be able to thrive. Leagues are in the works so if you are interested in having a once a week race with buddies that is in development, but it will have to follow the same schedule as iRacing has for your specified car.

Painting your own cars is fun, especially to people here. A few weeks back Brian Simpson, staff, made a post about making custom schemes one of his top priorities. Before that it was believed it would never come, so, in my opinion, this is major news that it may come. As for what is available now, the iRacing paint system has come along way and provides anyone the ability to quickly paint a car with little or no hassle. The last build just gave us the ability to add logos to our cars, and select 3 colors and the font for the number on our car. This progress and Simpson's post show that painting and customization is a feature that iRacing welcomes.

As for price it is entirely in the eye of the beholder. It may be worth it to some and others it may not. For me it is cheaper for me to pay to iRace than to pay sign up fees to R/C race. For one months cost I would only get 15 minutes of R/C racing a week as opposed to unlimited track time on iRacing for a month. Plus I don't have to pay more when I wreck, and boy do I wreck a lot. Pricing is entirely up to the person and the way they view sim racing among their priorities list against everything else they have to do, and choose to do for fun.

Obviously I tried to point out some pros and cons, but I guess I am little biased, as we all are in our own ways :) I hope it was somewhat informative about missing features and features that may be on the horizon.

:) :) :)

2. DPawlak

DPawlak Well-Known Member

Excellent post Marcus. I would never take the time to post something of that length due to the fact that trying to tell people that have tunnel vision to N2003 to give it a try usually goes nowhere.

dave

3. beatnik

beatnik Well-Known Member

Must I say that this forum has gotten an adrenaline shot here lately? It's awesome...I need a place to talk iRacing with fellow SRD'ers and this is great.

4. DPawlak

DPawlak Well-Known Member

They are just improving on the geat sim we all love. Their vision of sim-racing surpasses all other attempts out there.

dave

5. MattSRD28

MattSRD28 SRD Pick'em Series Commissioner Moderator

Your attitude could use some improvement here. Just because people don't fully agree with your opinion of iRacing does not mean they have "tunnel vision" or are deserving of some deragotory comment like that. In fact, I'd venture to say that the reason your discussions usually go nowhere is not because of iRacing, but because they probably don't buy into your iRacing is the best sim EVAR! attitude at the drop of a hat, and you get frustrated and try to battle them instead of just respecting their opinion and letting it go.

You can repeat this...
    ...all night long, but people aren't just going to fall into lockstep with it because you believe it. You're entitled to your opinion, the same as anyone else is. If you encounter with someone who isn't going to agree with you, just let it go, and enjoy your online experience with iRacing.

Totally agree! I don't play iRacing myself, but reading these discussions is great. I love the increase of traffic this forum has seen, and I hope it continues. :)

6. Enter Sandman

Enter Sandman ...And Justice For All

I love running on iracing, it's just too bad I'm going to have to start cutting expenses soon with my hours at work cut back to where they were before I got the iracing. I'm really going to miss it after the 3 months are up :(

7. hammer26tn

hammer26tn Well-Known Member

i have both nr2003 and iracing. i am far more biased to nr2003 because of it's accessibilty. i only use iracing for testing purposes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.