1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

iRacing price

Discussion in 'iRacing.com Motorsports Simulations' started by NASCARsweden, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DPawlak

DPawlak Well-Known Member

If everyone here at SRD is so againest iRacing... why is there a section for it in the forums?

dave

2. NASCARsweden

NASCARsweden Well-Known Member

I love iRacing, best racing sim ever, I'm still a 2003 racer but I spend more time on iRacing now becouse it's new to me and it's really fun

1 person likes this.
  3. TheJ

TheJ Well-Known Member Banned

man, why does every thread about iRacing turn into an argument about the cost? im not a fan of iRacing either, but ive found better reasons not to be a fan than the price

4. DPawlak

I've tried to be pro iRacing because I feel it's worth it. Someone else always drags price in to it.

Believe me... I like free too.

Just have an admin tell me to and I'll stop posting in the iRacing forum here at SRD.

dave

5. NASCARsweden

When I started this thread I didn't mean to put iRacing in the dirt so to speak, I'm new to iRacing and I love it, I was just wondering becouse I couldn't find any faq about it.
    I don't care if iRacing cost money, I am gonna keep racing on iRacing and keep pay what ever needs to be paid.

6. marcusl26

marcusl26 Well-Known Member

They have to receive the $156 up front, because what is going to keep you paying each month. It doesn't make any sense for them to allow people to pay $13 a month on word that you will continue to pay for a year, while others are doing the same thing, but paying $19 a month. The only other way for them to do it month to month for $13 would be to continue charging you for 12 months, whether you decide to cancel or not to guarantee that they got for the $156 over the year. But, if they do that people are going to just complain that they are getting "screwed" and iRacing is taking money from them even after they cancel. What iRacing is doing is offering long term members a discount, something that a whole lot of companies due to reward dedication. On top of reducing overall cost they also decide to give you $60 credit for cars and tracks to help people pursue other opportunities up the racing ladder.

Now iRacing being the "big-bad" company that they are decide to give an additional $25 on top of the $60 credit and they become even greedier. This reminds of the responses that iRacing got when they gave away the Spec Racer Ford to everyone for free, and the response they got was people complaining about getting free stuff. The overall thing I have learned is that a company cannot please everyone and if you don't like it you don't have to get it.

Everyone complains that iRacing makes you pay monthly and buy new cars and tracks, but every other sim that has online capabilities also requires someone to pay. Every server that is being run for a league costs money. The hosting for any of their websites, such as SRD costs money. For Dave to supply us with a Ventrilo costs money. Everything costs money, but the majority of online gamers and sim racers have been blessed by groups of people who put up the money and the casual racer doesn't have to pay, but believe me someone is paying for everything. Nothing in life is free.

As for iRacing being rich due to memberships, if you do some simple math you will find out thats not the case. Scanning tracks costs 6 figures. $100,000 + per track. Also iRacing has servers running practices every half hour, usually 5 at a time, for every series. Races are running every hour for rookies, two hours for D and over 4 races a day for C, B, and A. Time Trial servers are being ran every 2 minutes. Yes, 2 minutes, for every series. Take all of that and times it by 12 for each of the series that are actively running in iRacing. iRacing also hosts all of the stats for every member, they provide a forum, and they have an iRacing World members page. Next, iRacing has to pay staff. These people don't work for free, and neither do you I'm sure. John Henry has funded approximately $21 million into iRacing as of a few months ago. There are 14,oo0 members so lets assume that all of these drivers put $500 into iRacing. That's enough for one year and probably all of the content to date. That pays for everyone to go from iRacing's opening up to today. And most people haven't bought all of the content or probably even subscribed past a month.

So here's the math. 14,000 X $500 = $7,000,000

So if John Henry funds $21,000,000 and $7,000,000 is an extremely inflated price of what he could have received back so far to date, how has iRacing become rich? The math just doesn't add up. All in all iRacing is a business the same as anyone else. Nothing in life is free. No hobby is free. If online sim racing isn't your thing then iRacing probably isn't for you, because you would be improperly funding their online sanctioned operations, but if you have ever raced in an online league, visited league websites, or ever been on a voice chat program to meet buddies, than someone is paying for that.

You can call me a fanboy if you want, but I'm not gaining anything by being pro-iRacing, sim racing is just something I like to do, and the format iRacing has set up for me is perfect. Unfortunately it's not for everyone and it's different from the usual sim format, but there's nothing greedy about iRacing's format.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  7. Alan Harkleroad

Alan Harkleroad SRD Site Administrator Admin

i am not anti i racing, its not for me. Sounds alot like GranTurismo 5 for PS3. I have the wheel for that and it wears my shoulders out its tons of fun, which is ultimately what its all about. The chair is the only thing that doesnt move. I even used the wheel on NR2k3 and EA Nascar 09 both of which wore me out. Alot of fun.

PS3 is an expensive hobby just like i racing. I was saying i am not going to be getting into that. I have nr2k3 and gran turismo. I have what i need.

So please dont think i am bashing i racing. That is not how i meant to come across at all. Just explaining my opinion. It does seem like WOW to me though but for racers. An endless subscription service.. no different then xbox live or any other internet based gaming/hobby service. It does seem very expensive though... maybe thats a start up cost thing and later it will dwindle down..

8. JMH714

JMH714 Well-Known Member

Don't worry, Dave, I think all of SRD Admins are members of iRacing. :)

9. MattyO

MattyO Well-Known Member Admin

Some of the members may be against iRacing, but I assure you I am not, that is why I have a forum for it.

I too, am sick and tired of the whining about the price of iRacing. If you don't like the pricing of it, then don't buy it period. Play something else.

If your complaining about the extreme costs of this hobby, find me a hobby that is free and I'll show you some valuable land in the Everglades I can sell you. Or better yet, get a job, there is a concept!

Stop the bitching about the price of iRacing, this is not what this forum is for. Last warning. I will just start banning if I see more of it.

10. NASCARsweden

I like the price, it's a good deal.
    Since I started this topic I feel like everybody is blaming me for bitching, I just want you to know that this post was NOT to complain about the price, it was just so I could know the difference in price of yearly and month, and now I know, I like iRacing and I will keep paying and playing it.

11. TheJ

TheJ Well-Known Member Banned

no problem with you, its just the stuff that followed it that gets annoying and stupid

12. marcusl26

marcusl26 Well-Known Member

I thought your question was completely reasonable and I understand your reasoning. I don't think anyone thought you were "bitching" at all. My first paragraph was directed to try and show you why it would be unreasonable for iRacing to allow paying $13 monthly on a yearly contract. The rest of my post was directed at those upset about them greedy iRacing owners :) I hope you continue to enjoy sim racing no matter where you decide to race, iRacing or anywhere else.

13. NASCARsweden

thanks guys :D

14. DPawlak

Then I replied with some useful info.... kinda went south from there.

dave

15. NASCARsweden

yep, and thank you for that info :)

16. beatnik

beatnik Well-Known Member

I don't know what NR2003 has to do with this...but ok?

I'm basically saying...don't try to make me feel good about being an iRacing subsriber...only to think I'm weak minded enough not to realize the catch here. I don't expect free things. It's a reason I have spent well over $100 on iRacing in the past month...I am just saying I don't like iRacing thinking I'm just another dumb race fan who will throw down money at the first sign of a "good deal".

If they want to impress me, they'll not flirt with the false advertisement business. I've got too many e-mails in my spam box that do the same thing they just did.

17. DPawlak

No false advertising... renew for a year... get 1 $25 credit

same e mail I got said this... EXACTLY

As a token of our appreciation – and in celebration of our first anniversary – iRacing is pleased to offer renewing members the car or of their choice. FREE! Members who renew their membership for twelve months before July 31, 2009 will receive a bonus of $25 in iRacing credits . . . enough to buy any iRacing car or race track. Those bonus credits are in addition to the $60 in credits members normally receive with an annual renewal, making $85 of iRacing credits in total.

VERY CLEAR TO ME

Dave

18. beatnik

See you're complicating things...I never claimed false advertisement. I'm simply stating that they make it seem like you are getting something FREE...as in YOU PAY NOTHING...but for those who are already re-upped, this means crap. It's just another weak deal brought on by them. The three months for $25 was awesome...but so far that's the only slack they've cut anyone.

19. DPawlak

hmm..

20. beatnik

Dave, I do surely hope you know the definition of flirt...flirt does not mean INVOLED, DOING, USING.

Basically how they worked this deal is almost like every other "MAKE X AMOUNT OF MONEY AT HOME" e-mail or webscam.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.