Jimmie Johnson, is 8 titles inevitable?

Discussion in 'NASCAR Discussion' started by jaqua99, Nov 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaqua99

jaqua99 Active Member

Not in a row, but winning 5 titles in first 9 seasons? will be break RP and DE's record? thoughs guys?

2. AdamS

AdamS New Member

ehh, i think he will. i hate him and the chase with a passion but i have to admit he is the best driver in NASCAR right now...

1 person likes this.
  3. labontefanboy

labontefanboy SRD Moderator Staff Member

Unfortunately, I believe he's the person that will do it. Unless something drastic happens, he's unstoppable. He really is Superman right now.

4. Frigus5

Frigus5 Proud Fan of Romain Grosjean

He'll end up doing it.

Not in a row, but doing it, that's for sure.

5. Markfan

Markfan Sim Racing Designosaur

Under the current system? Surely a possibility, but it wouldn't be as notable as Richard Petty's or Dale Earnhardt's 7 titles due to the severe differences in the points system. The best of the past few years? Probably, but he's no superhuman, heck, he has YET to exit race 26 as the leader in points, and that says a lot.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  6. PepsiRacer4

PepsiRacer4 The One and Only

:LOL: I love how every title isn't as notable. They're titles. He won them by accustoming himself to the way to get the title is now. Just as Dale Sr and Petty so stop.

More than likely he will get more than 8.

3 people like this.
  7. DannyM

DannyM Well-Known Member

It's not inevidible, but if anybody can, it's unfortunately Jimmie Johnson...

8. jgracingfan09

jgracingfan09 New Member

i don't like him either

9. MillsLayne

MillsLayne The Blue Bomber

Oh, I think he could do it within his career. He's only 3 away now and besides, a couple of years ago, were 5 straight titles even conceivable? No. But he did it.

10. jaqua99

jaqua99 Active Member

i love it i love it i love it. This is the most competitive era of nascar, there is definitively more competition now. Back then there was less competition. It may have been a bit harder to win a title back then, but there was less competition. Irrelevant, the fact the he has yet to exit race 26 as the points leader is irrelevant. A title is a title man, thats all it is, and hes won 5, petty and dale won 7...

11. canadienhits

canadienhits The Dominator

As maybe the biggest JJ fanboy on here....no not inevitable...there is plenty of talent out there to de-throne him, and even J.J./Chad/Hendrick will fall at some point and time...

but not today...

:notworthy:

12. Markfan

Markfan Sim Racing Designosaur

Actually, the average finishing position of the champion have gotten lower since the chase started, only 7 teams won this year, and there were far more drivers that were capable of winning races back then. And you can't tell me it was less competitive back then if the title holder constantly changed.

Oh, and by the way, Dale won 11 (he has 4 IROC Championships too) and Mark Martin has 9: 4 ASA and 5 IROC. (And if you say those series aren't NASCAR, well, let's just say I would say the same about the Chasepionships)

13. Brak61

Brak61 New Member

For the next two weeks all anybody is gonna be concerned with is number 5. Then they will turn their attention onto number 6. There's no point in giving any thought to numbers 7 & 8 until they get number 6.

And there is no point in having the points lead after 26 races, all that is necessary is to be among the first 12 in points. That how the game is played now.

No, I'm not a JJ fan or a fan of the Chase either but it is what it is. They are to be congratulated on their win.

3 people like this.
  14. David24

David24 Well-Known Member

I agree 100%! You hit the nail on the head buddy

Hmmm i don't know about that. Sure it's possible but you gotta think. In 2002 there was that rookie guy named Jimmie Johnson. Whooda thunk? A five time champion (all consecutive I might add) right before our eyes. You never know we could have one of those guys right now in the Nationwide series just waiting to be the next Johnson. So take that into account.

1 person likes this.
  15. JeffJordan

JeffJordan Sim Racing Design Legend

If you look at Jimmie's 5 championships in a row it's honestly not too extreme of an accomplishment.

2006: 13 top-fives, 24 top-tens.
    2007: 20 top-fives, 24 top-tens.
    2008: 15 top-fives, 22 top-tens.
    2009: 16 top-fives, 24 top-tens.
    2010: 17 top-fives, 23 top-tens.

-In 2006, four drivers beat Jimmie in top-fives, nobody in top-tens (deserved that one)
    -In 2007, nobody beat him in top-fives, but the #24 absolutely flattened him in every other category but wins.
    -In 2008, Carl Edwards beat him in top-fives, top-tens, and wins.
    -In 2009, Jeff Gordon beat him in top-tens. Jimmie deserved that one, flattening the field in any other category.
    -In 2010, He had the most top-fives, but Harvick was superior in consistency.

That's just my opinion. But the evidence is there to back it up.

No question. Jimmie is awesome. 53 wins don't lie. But I think it's just a little more than everybody has made it out to be.

3 people like this.
  16. JeffJordan

JeffJordan Sim Racing Design Legend

Also, Jimmie may as well win eight of these Chases. I won't certainly be stunned but NASCAR will suffer.

1 person likes this.
  17. zaw24fan

zaw24fan SRD National Series Director

As I've heard alot of people say. Under the old format, no. Under the Chase format, why not?

Johnson has 5 CHASE Championships. Take out the Chase, he only has two, 2006 & 2009.

Now, championships are championships, no matter how you win them. With the Chase under it's current rules, I don't see why Johnson wouldn't win 6+.

There is one thing I'd like to change in the Chase (listen up, NASCAR):
    If you look at Jimmie's stats going into race 26, he had 5 wins, giving him 50 bonus points. Here's where my change would come in....

Though Johnson had 5 wins going into New Hampshire, he also had 4 DNFs. What I think NASCAR should do is take away 10 or 5 bonus points for every DNF in the first 26 races. That way, the bonus points reflect all of the first 26 races, good and bad results.

1 person likes this.
  18. canadienhits

canadienhits The Dominator

I could live with that....maybe do that the whole season long to all DNF teams....make you want to finish rather than start and park LOL

19. 4WideRacing

4WideRacing Well-Known Member

I told my brother that Johnson would most likely get 7 in a row that was 2 years ago. 8 would be very easy to do even if Nascar changes the format Chad and the #48 will figure out how to keep winning championships.

20. MattSRD28

MattSRD28 SRD Pick'em Series Commissioner Staff Member

It might be inevitable unless Chad Knaus leaves to form his own two car team as the resurrection of a past manufacturer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.