1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE

Major changes coming to race format/points distribution in MENCS?

Discussion in 'NASCAR Discussion' started by labontefanboy, Jan 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. labontefanboy

labontefanboy Well-Known Member

NASCAR Considering Significant Changes To Race Formats, Point Distribution:The Sports Business Daily is reporting that NASCAR and industry stakeholders are considering significant competition changes to the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series that could be implemented as soon as this season. Sources said that stakeholders across the industry including teams, drivers, tracks, media partners, Monster and NASCAR have been meeting to discuss the prospective changes which involve the format of the races themselves and how points are awarded for them. If implemented, the changes could address the length and format of Cup races and may result in race breaks, similar to other series where "heat" formats are used to break up the competition to feature multiple, shorter races rather than one longer one. NASCAR declined comment. It could not be determined how far along the discussions are, but timing is of the essence as NASCAR's season starts in mid to late February. Its season-opening media tour, when major announcements are often made, is in two weeks in Charlotte.(The Sports Business Daily)(1-10-2017) - from Jayski.com

Here comes the angry internet pitchfork mob.......

2. ShadowKnight508

ShadowKnight508 SRD Cup Series Driver - #81 Ford Fusion

Sigh...if this does end up happening, then the sport I fell in love with back in 2001 will have truly become a hollow, empty shell of what it once was. I am sure that Bill France, Bill France Jr, and Dale Earnhardt are turning over in their graves if these changes do happen to the sport they invested so much into over their years on this earth. With the clown known as Brian France at the helm, the sport I love is slowly falling apart and getting all of that wonderful tradition torn asunder by all of his poor decisions (done for $$$) that have negatively affected the sport over the years he has been in control of the sport. What has happened to the awesome sport and racing series that I have been a huge fan of since 2001?

It's like NASCAR is trying to force me to give up being a fan of the sport, especially with these changes if they do indeed happen....

3. Thunder98

Thunder98 SRD Moderator Moderator

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

4. nj9703

nj9703 Kifflom

I'm glad that I was born at a time to at least see the last remaining parts of NASCAR's greatness. It's all fading away with dumb gimmicks and poor leadership. Nothing is wrong with what we have now. NASCAR needs to stop appealing to the casual fan. I know, I know, most people that watch races these days are just that, but that's most likely a direct effect of all of the awful rule changes, etc. that keep being thrown at the board to see what sticks. IndyCar just keeps getting more and more appealing to me these days.

5. Oceanic

Oceanic Garden of Light

Actually, there's a lot, but that's beside the point.

I would prefer not to see the length of the races reduced. Heats, or maybe something as simple as a brief halftime break - I'm okay with it.

Benjamin Fruth and BrendonH12 like this.
  6. watsonz

watsonz Member

This is getting ridiculous.

7. nj9703

nj9703 Kifflom

I agree, when looking at the sport as a whole. I was meaning that there is nothing wrong with our current race format.

8. BrendonH12

BrendonH12 Lover of Jesus! #BatonRougeStrong

I think NASCAR talked to Carl about this, and well - we know the end result. lol :(

Seriously though, I hope they don't put breaks in the middle of the races - that's just stupid!

9. MrDude68

MrDude68 Occasional Backwards Driver

"getting"?

10. Phoenix

Phoenix Enter the Zone

As long as full contact is allowed, and driver assists are not... I don't care what they do to the points and/or race format.

I hate that IMSA, and whichever other sports have traction control, stability control, etc.

GDP Racing likes this.
  11. Matthew124

Matthew124 Well-Known Member Banned

Everyone reading this like..

[​IMG]

Why do we keep changing s*** that doesn't need changing?

GDP Racing and Mystical like this.
  12. burtonbraves

burtonbraves Fictional Extraordinaire

I think it could be worse, but still. I wish we could go like...more than 1 or maybe 2 years without major changes to the sport.

I really wouldn't be surprised if drivers start to leave because of some of these changes though.

GDP Racing, Mystical and IMCool332 like this.
  13. MrDude68

MrDude68 Occasional Backwards Driver

It might have started happening already.

14. champ4811

champ4811 Muscle Heaven

This is NASCAR we're talking about. It's more like, "If it ain't broke, we'll keep repairing it and risk breaking it." Anyway, race breaks?! This is so dumb. So the Coke 600 will be a cake walk instead of a physically demanding race? Ever since Brian France stepped up as CEO he's turned NASCAR into an embarrassment of a sport. Can someone else PLEASE takeover?

15. IMCool332

IMCool332 Well-Known Member

FIFY.

16. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

Call me crazy but I enjoy long races. Its an endurance run on man and machine to see who has the power to make it to the end and survive. Not that short sprint races are easier they have their own challenges but I'm not feeling this if this is what Nascar races will become.

I'm not going all doom and gloom but so much changes with Nascar every year its really becoming tiresome with constant change.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  17. TColeman12

TColeman12 #88Forever

Brian France has broken NASCAR to an irreparable state, and sponsors are going to start to realize that. Then NASCAR will have a harder time getting a title sponsor. Like @nj9703 said, I'm also glad I was born at a time to see a few good years of NASCAR.

Lottech96 likes this.
  18. KahneRacing945

KahneRacing945 Byron Does It Again

As long as racing is still in the driver's hands, I could care less about points and race formats.

19. db512

db512 2011 SRD Cup Series Champion

I like many others long for the good ole days of nascar racing. Growing up watching in the 90s and early 2000s when the sport was at its peak. It has fallen a long way to this point where TV ratings and ticket sales are everything and the racing is placed on the back burner. I would hate to see shorter races and halftime breaks racing isn't like other sports there are no sticks and apparently no balls.... The sport used to be about endurance of man and machine but the men are more like athletes now and the machines are indestructible it seems at times and that has led to poor results. They have done a great job over the last few years of undoing some of what was done with the downforce and what not but there is still more room to go. I really hope what seems to be happening doesn't but I am scared that it will.

FastCat likes this.
  20. MrKyleBusch

MrKyleBusch Well-Known Member Banned

Heats just don't work if Nascar can barly get enough people into the races. Like earlier last year before the 55 team came into the series, they only had 39 cars on the track. It just doesn't work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.