1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

Mass Shootings....

Discussion in 'Politics/Religion' started by MattyO, Aug 5, 2019.

1. MattyO

MattyO Well-Known Member Admin

So............how do we stop this from happening? At least curtail it from happening? I get the argument about banning guns. But that's fantasy land. It won't happen #1. And #2, let's say we did ban the guns. Is that going to stop people from getting guns? Who's going to tell Mr.CountryBoy living up in the mountains he's got to give up his guns? How well do you think that will go over with him? Not too good........I can guarantee you that!

I really don't know what the solution is. I'm a gun owner. I love my guns. I like the fact that they make me and my family feel safe. I don't want to give up my guns. But I don't want to keep reading about mass shootings either. It's fucking ridiculous that people actually like the thought of getting a gun, and killing a bunch of innocent people. I personally feel death by battery acid injection is a perfect way for those people to die.

I'm just sick of reading about mass shootings. It's got to stop. But how?

canadienhits and mtblillie like this.
  2. RacerXero84

RacerXero84 Obnoxious old fart

There's no way to stop it. That's just it. We are looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't have one. Messed up people do messed up things.
    Say a gun ban somehow made it through. Doesn't take a gun to kill a plethora of people. Knives, bombs, acid, machete, car, planes, etc etc. still exist.
    And then we have the criminals. I highly doubt a law banning guns is really going to stop them (looks at Chicago, Detroit, etc and their respective gun laws).

I own a gun. Strictly for home defense (although I would LOVE to get my hands on the Bushmaster ACR, gorgeous rifle IMO.... btw, the 'A' stands for adaptive, not assault in this case). I own one because I'm not willing to gamble on a home invader NOT having one, or being in a situation where having one (and not) could have saved myself, my family, or others.

Now, what's likely to happen: areas that are like Chicago, Detroit, etc, are likely to ratchet up their laws even more, which will, as I mentioned before, do absolutely nothing except tick off those who own legally, carry responsibly, and could be seen as a deterrent for future situations such as this.

123456789colton and BrendonH12 like this.
  3. ahspencer01

ahspencer01 yikes

This is a deep, deep rabbit hole I've thought about a lot the past couple years. I'm not even sure what to really do.

One of the first things I think though, would be to ban the military style guns. In my opinion, not a single normal civilian needs a damn AK47 or anything close to it. It's just ridiculous. I don't care about other guns, like shotguns or pistols. I understand people's needs for those. Farmers, self defense, etc. But those automatic rifles can go.

I think our country should take mental health a lot more seriously. Mental health is just as, if not more important than physical health. A lot of these people get ridiculously radicalised by stuff on the internet, maybe their shitty parents, maybe their friends, who knows. But it's something about the life they live and it affects them in such a way. This is the third shooting just this year that started on 8chan. I think that shit should be shut down. I don't like control over the internet, but that site is nothing but bad for everybody. I've visited it a couple times and Jesus those people are fucking crazy racists. It's hard to believe that some of the shit on that site is from real people. Something's gotta be done.

I would say have deeper background checks for guns, but there's no point. It's so easy just to have a friend buy it or get it in some other way. There is no real solution I don't think. People are gonna do what they want cause it's a free country, so there is no real stopping it. It's just life at this point. Which sucks because that means future generations are gonna be completely numb to this shit ever happening. People born from about 2010-now are gonna be so used to it and numb to it, it's really sad. I really do fear for the future of the country because even if there was a viable solution, I'm not sure our government would actually do jack shit about it.

RacerXero84 likes this.
  4. JNieder51188

JNieder51188 Well-Known Member

If you apply common sense to the "gun problem" there truly isn't a solution. You can ban every single gun known to man in the U.S. and it won't stop the violence. There's more guns in the U.S. than people and they're not going away. The only thing to help the problem is to stop having so many soft targets. All these politicians gripe about gun violence and yet 99% percent of them have security. High level government buildings usually have a boatload of security yet schools and malls barely have any. Funding needs to be directed to provide that. Also, when kids are repeatedly reported for discipline problems, posting online claiming to want to do stuff like that then there should be and escalation process to where they are monitored heavily by authorities. The Parkland incident was a huge failure by everyone involved.

RacerXero84 likes this.
  5. RacerXero84

Nobody has them, except in very rare grandfathered cases. Fully automatics are actually illegal. If you are referencing the AR15, and others like it, they are actually LESS powered than your standard hunting rifle (a lot of people tend to miss that fact). To me, people are targeting specific types of rifles not because of their actual lethal potential, but simply because of the look of the rifle.

Agreed to a point; but it's a slippery slope. One doc says X person is borderline, another says they aren't. Who is right? The field of mental health is quite variable in that instance.

Accurate take on the situation. It is indeed a really crappy situation with no answer.

6. mtblillie

mtblillie Well-Known Member

I get what you are saying, and don't necessarily disagree with you, but a couple things to think about:
    -"Military Style Guns" are just modern rifles. Despite what hollywood and others would have you believe, they are no more deadly or dangerous than any other rifle, or firearm for that matter.
    -Automatic rifles, for the most part, are already illegal. Different states and the feds have varying laws about them. In some places they are pretty much completely illegal, in other places you have to have a special permit. Devices that make a semi-auto into automatic are also starting to become illegal.

Again, it's not that I disagree, but there are some things that you may not have realized.

RacerXero84 likes this.
  7. nj9703

nj9703 Very Stable Genius

Mental health is the biggest issue we face with this. I believe a primary object to attribute to mass shootings is the fact that we as a society have essentially equated masculinity to guns and, in a broader sense, showing force over other people. This isn’t that typical “toxic masculinity” bullshit, really it’s nothing of the sort. It’s the pictures on Facebook of dad, grandpa, and the uncles with their ARs beside the daughter in a prom dress, that type of dumb shit. It’s the endless sensationalism and broadcasting of their names on TV and online. That’s the type of stuff that gives these people power, or the idea of power. A kid gets bullied? Well, maybe he feels emasculated by that. How does he regain that feeling of manliness? Well, Dylan and Eric did that thing that one time in Colorado, and they’re still remembered to this day, even idolized by some. That’s just one root that I think these things come from.

I rambled a lot, but my point stands.

8. mtblillie

mtblillie Well-Known Member

My girlfriend hates it when I get into political discussions, but this group has been so much more civil about it then most, so I can't talk to you guys without getting my blood pressure up. I personally am more independent simply because I would rather take each situation as it comes, weigh the morality and consequences of both sides, and then decide the right aspect. I generally tend to lean liberal but never far left and there are a lot of issues that I relate more to conservatives on. On this issue, I also am a gun owner and tend to lean more conservative. Having said that, there are a lot of things I have noticed about each side's interpretation of things:

Left: Time and time again, something like this happens and everyone on this side immediately starts going off "well if we had more gun laws..." I totally get why this happens, and at face value it isn't wrong, but taking this stance puts so much focus on "guns are bad." Whenever someone takes this stance, I almost never see them talk about the fact that a person chose to commit such a heinous crime, only the method in which they did it. There is a bigger picture than the gun, and the fact that it is a simple option to carry out the crime doesn't outweigh the fact that people are choosing to commit it in the first place. Looking at society's flaws and how we have become so distant from our fellow man I think is a bigger part of solving this problem than any gun law could do.

Right: Whenever someone says "gun law," to most conservatives I know that immediately translates to "ban guns." I guess I can't fully blame people for this because of the amount of extremism that we see in today's society. But most of the people I know that talk about gun laws understand that guns aren't going away and want to work toward a solution that keeps guns out of the hands of people who would commit this kind of crime without taking away from those that are responsible owners. It really frustrates me that if I say "lets talk about finding a solution" I get a hand in my face with "my gun rights shall not be infringed upon." It seems to me that if we are going to be a gun society, we should take responsibility for that. As a gun owner, I would rather be involved in the process and make sure that rights are being preserved and still work toward a solution rather than just closing my mind to everyone.

One final thing that I have noticed, living in both very anti gun and very pro gun environments, is that most anti-gun people are taught their whole lives to fear and hate guns. It never occurs to them that most people that own guns would never use a firearm maliciously. Likewise, in pro-gun environments people are taught to respect guns. These people in many cases genuinely can't understand why so many Americans want to get rid of guns.

9. EarnhardtFan

EarnhardtFan Residential Twitch Addict

I’m in the same boat as everyone else tbh, in that I don’t really know if there's a way to stop this. There’s a few things that we could very well TRY, such as restrictions/bans or more background checks and filtering and all that, but like what has been said, it probably won’t do much. My feelings with this issue are VERY complicated to say the least.

I've seen some people say that it's a mental health issue and some say it's not, I've seen some people say that it's a gun issue and some say it's not. I personally think that it's a combination of the EXTREME worst of both (And some other things like white supremacy, more than anything, IMO you have to have a screw loose somewhere to believe that a certain type of person is inherently superior to others.). I have nothing at all against either people with mental health issues or responsible gun owners, and I believe that someone with mental health issues can be responsible with guns, but we need to try to do something to prevent people with extremely severe and violent mental health issues from obtaining guns, specifically powerful ones. I also feel that people who are repeatedly violent on social media and associate with extremist groups on social media should have their socials monitored (this is more of a literal last resort scenario to me).

That being said, I would much rather almost ANYTHING else be attempted before we get into the whole dystopian tracking stuff. Make bans and restrictions, require super-stringent checks when buying guns, if it doesn't work oh well, we're right where we always have been as of late. Better than trying nothing imo.

I'm PRETTY open-minded with this kind of thing. Do I like guns and the fact that for whatever reason some people seem to use them as a form of dick measurement? No. Will I ever own one unless something happens and owning one makes me feel safer? Probably not. But I also understand that people just like to collect them, hunt, go to shooting ranges, etc, and that’s fine as long as they’re responsible and don’t do shit like @nj9703 described. My only hard “Fuck you you’re wrong” feeling around this subject is if you blame video games or movies or something, which a LOT of people, especially older people, seem to do for some reason.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    theusar, mtblillie and Shockey Rai like this.
  10. ahspencer01

ahspencer01 yikes

Agreed, the people blaming video games and movies are fucking mad. That group of people are mostly older people just looking for a reason to blame yung'ns that don't live their young lives the same way they did on the farm back in the 50s and 60s. That shit seriously pisses me off because I've put nearly 3000 hours into the game Counter-Strike, played it semi-professionally for a period of time, and that game is all about shooting people basically. I've never had a thought to shoot anybody in real life in my 6 years of playing that game. That claim is ridiculous and there's absolutely nothing to back it up, the fact it's still around just makes me sick.

Tetronix, Virox6549, dacinch8 and 2 others like this.
  11. MattyO

MattyO Well-Known Member Admin

There is a reason why teenagers and twenty somethings aren't on the Supreme Court and nominated for President.

chevy29 likes this.
  12. GambitJon

GambitJon #VeganRush

I say make all gun illegal. No need for hate filled weapons.

crazyboy335 likes this.
  13. RacerXero84

And thank goodness for SCOTUS and the 2A then lol
    And mine isn't filled with 'hate'.... it's filled with .45's. Only hate there is directed at anyone foolish enough to actively threaten me and mine directly.

It's like a penis to be honest; I am proud of it, but I don't go waving it around and flaunting it :p

14. GambitJon

GambitJon #VeganRush

I don't know you take away the guns and these mass shooting don't happen.

15. EarnhardtFan

EarnhardtFan Residential Twitch Addict

I get what you're saying here, but that circles back to the "Guns would be illegal, criminals don't care what's illegal, therefore, criminals will have guns anyway" part of the argument

16. MrDude68

MrDude68 Occasional Backwards Driver

That's an extremely simplistic view of this. The world and it's problems are very complicated, not simple.
    Exactly.

You're not going to get rid of all the guns, and you're not going to get anywhere by suggesting that we just revoke the Second Amendment. Certain people need to have guns. It's a fact of life. You want to tell those people up in Alaska that they can't have a gun strong enough to take down a bear if they have to? Good luck winning that fight.

17. crazyboy335

crazyboy335 Lawn Duty, Judge Judy

The only reasonable need for a gun I see is for hunting. You don't need a fucking AR15 to shoot some deer.

More aggressive legislation needs to be passed, but the main focus should be on mental health. Nearly all of these shootings would be prevented if people got the help they needed.

Spike, Tetronix, dalejr88rox and 2 others like this.
  18. GambitJon

GambitJon #VeganRush

Even using a gun for hunting. I feel its morally wrong to kill another living animal.

19. hiarcracing

hiarcracing Well-Known Member

I feel like we're not going to get anywhere without trying some shit.
    somewhere around 90% of US citizens want universal background checks on all gun purchases, but that bill stopped at Mitch McConnell's doorstep, like most other things that would improve the US

You don't need a massive semi-automatic military weapon to go hunting, you don't need whatever the fuck this thing is unless you're actively on a battlefield, and we need significant mental health reform throughout society as well

Spike, MattyO, Tetronix and 2 others like this.
  20. MrDude68

MrDude68 Occasional Backwards Driver

You'd think with the amount of attention AR-15 style rifles get, that those would be the guns people are primarily using to carry out these attacks... which is not really the case. Pistols are an equally common choice. Do we ban everything that's semi-auto?

That's fine. But getting rid of all the guns still isn't going to solve the problem.

MattyO and mtblillie like this.