1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

My NASCAR opinion on "worthless backmarkers"

Discussion in 'NASCAR Discussion' started by DaleTona75, Jul 12, 2019 at 5:26 PM.

1. DaleTona75

DaleTona75 The Punslinger

I've seen some people talk about the charter system, and how some say it is gatekeeping, which I agree with, while others say it takes away the back markers who "don't belong." My problem with the "only the fastest drivers out there train of thought" is that you will ALWAYS have someone off the pace, you get rid of Starcom, Premium, Rick Ware, Spire, etc, then you have FRM, Petty, and GO Fas off the pace. Take them away, then the "worthless backmarkers" become Levine, Chilress, Roush, and Germain. Then you eliminate them because they have no hope of "being competitive, so you have about 16 cars, then you start to eliminate under-performing drivers like Bowyer, Suarez, Larson, Hendrick, Blaney etc, until you only have the 4 cars remaining that ATUALLY have a legitimate chance of winning.

THis is probably a huge overgeneralization, but when you start going down the path of eliminating the slowest cars, they will ALWAYS be someone slower than the rest, with little hope of winning.

Then I see Germain, Leavine, and FRM who came from backmarker part time S&P teams and now run full schedules(even if not the most competitive) and wonder if the modern charter system was in place back then, would they be here?

Riley Maddox, Tetronix and Skyline like this.
  2. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

The slow cars don't bother me, its part of the system. The top teams just have more money meaning better equipment. I know Nascar has tried to reduce costs on certain parts and stuff but it clearly is still a problem when you see cars like the ones Kyle Busch would drive in the lower divisions just completely obliterate the competition. That one year he had his own team and had to drive a sub-par car he was trash so it goes to show better equipment can make a difference. The same thing happens in the Cup series but not as dramatic for the top teams its but still evident. Lower end teams are never going to catch up or be competitive when they don't have the same support, best pit crew, and equipment due to budget.

Nascar not putting enough stock back into stock cars is part of the problem. This is also why sponsorship (or lack thereof) is such a killer. The costs are so bad teams like the 78 can just disappear even after having a Championship season, its almost comical really. If I can find the video later I'll add it to my post but there was a really good 'Nascar is dying' video I watched and it pointed out a lot of these same reasons why its just not sustainable for teams with these costs. There are no doubt drivers who are in those low end teams that if they had a good car could be champions but they are doomed to the back with equipment that can't compete so they look awful.

Here it is:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019 at 8:10 PM
  3. USSTalladega

USSTalladega Making a comeback!

Slow cars make battles for the win more interesting. There should be more of them. Fuck RK and his shitty charter system which he only made to profit off of.

DaleTona75 likes this.