1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

NASCAR Heat 4

Discussion in 'NASCAR Heat Evolution' started by RacerXero84, Jul 6, 2019.

?

Buying into Heat this year?

1. Yes

28 vote(s)
    38.4%
  2. No

21 vote(s)
    28.8%
  3. Not Sure...

24 vote(s)
    32.9%
  1. RacerXero84

RacerXero84 Obnoxious old fart

if it's pre-order.... that's pre-orders only. I'm sure after that expires (2020) it'll made available to everyone.

My friggin forearms hurt. My G920 exterior shell is a bit....warm.....
    1 race in each series completed.

You REALLY need to weigh out your aggressive speed vs tire wear, or pay the price later in the run.
    AI seems much better than last year, and I enjoy having them use different lines (the high side actually does get the runs like its supposed to, but you end up wearing that RR out faster for sure)

I made the mistake of trying to drive the dirt series like I did in Heat 3. I found the turn 1 wall pretty quickly lol
    Word of caution, if you opt for "less grip" on the user settings for wear.... and you use a wheel.... prepare to work your ass off between throttle control and wheel input.

Mystical and mtblillie like this.
  2. mtblillie

mtblillie It's MTB Lillie, not MT Billy

I'm not 100% sure, but the description for the gold release seems to only be all the Jeff Gordon stuff. It really looked like Marty Night was only for pre-orders. I have no doubt that it will eventually be available for purchase at some point though.

3. Gaven3820

Gaven3820 Well-Known Member

Ok so I just played it on pc for a few minutes. I would say overall good graphics,nice engine sounds and a hole lot better force feedback. I will also say I have found jeff Gordon skin and it can be used if you use it like in nascar heat evolution

Attached Files:

4. ayrwolf

ayrwolf Where ever your're at, there you are

I pre-ordered from Amazon and they sent me a email with the code to unlock Martinsville night

Mystical and mtblillie like this.
  5. JNieder51188

JNieder51188 Well-Known Member

Yea that's what I'm thinking. The Gold Edition is just terrible for the price/content. I'd prefer the Martinsville night race over the terrible Gordon scheme with bad contingencies, but I didn't feel like pre-0rdering.

6. DanAsher26

DanAsher26 Well-Known Member

Big oof.

7. RacerXero84

So... I guess all she has to do is enter her name in the running and she'll win.

Because it's actually pretty damn good lol
    If you're playing it with a controller though.... you're missing out for sure.

Darren Ingram likes this.
  8. RacerXero84

Yeah, if you know where the data is located, it's actually somewhat 'easy' to modify not only the paint scehemes, but the driver ratings, names, etc. as well.

So it would be entirely plausible to put any driver you want in the game... it's just highly time consuming. And with the game being a yearly release, not many will endeavor to do that. If it was something that got released every couple years, then I can see modding groups start dissecting it.

9. mtblillie

It's possible the gold edition also includes the season pass (paint scheme downloads for the rest of the year), but I'm not certain of that.

10. jacobc62

jacobc62 The OG NASCAR Tiger. Banned

Can confirm that the Gold edition is basically the base game plus the Season Pass, at least on Steam based off of the Season Pass description.

Speaking of Steam, why the hell were PC players shorted when it came to pre-ordering the game? Heat 4 didn't appear on Steam until less than a week before release, and even then it didn't give the option to purchase until today.

11. ahspencer01

ahspencer01 yikes Banned

That's on Steam. They love doing that. You have to go through hell and back to set up preorders, especially preorder specials.

RacerXero84 likes this.
  12. ayrwolf

ayrwolf Where ever your're at, there you are

Gold edition does include the DLC season pass

mtblillie and RacerXero84 like this.
  13. mtblillie

If that is true (and if I did my math right), then buying the Gold edition saves $10 over buying the game and season pass individually (The season pass also comes with the Jeff Gordon stuff, apparently).

RacerXero84 likes this.
  14. RacerXero84

Finished all the challenges (the Truex Jr one at Dover was tough)
    Did a 100% dirt race
    Ran one quick race in each series.
    Started my career.

I love the tire wear. I think that really makes it. You have to really consider it when driving.
    Some of the challenges could have been tougher IMO, they're are supposed to be challenging for a reason.

If you got the testicular fortitude and skill, the high side really does work nicely, each track really shows the ability to have multiple grooves.
    If anyone plans on being on tonight (PC/Steam), DM me. Also, I'm gonna start looking for leagues to run (quitting Destiny 2 for that).

15. Zweetprot

Zweetprot New Member

Here is some gameplay video:

16. CCM284

CCM284 Well-Known Member

Been playing for a few hours getting used to the game and I have to say i'm kind of impressed. It's a HUGE improvement over NH3 even though it may not be perfect. Using my t300, the steering feels pretty responsive for the most part and the physics are a huge improvement. The throttle response is a little wonky and will take some time to get used to. Also displeased that you can't turn off the racing line in practice. Other than that, I'm actually very impressed with the game. It's no nr2003 or iRacing, but it's definitely the best game out of the Heat series.

ayrwolf likes this.
  17. RacerXero84

Either that person is using a controller, or they have a very poorly configured wheel. That wobbling back and forth is not natural.

18. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

My copy arrived today. Still in process of installing but have the Martinsville Night already added. I look forward to trying the game out this weekend and seeing how it is. Guess I'll be the one leaving feedback from an xbox user using a controller.

RacerXero84 likes this.
  19. GambitJon

GambitJon #VeganRush

This didn't age well.

RacerXero84 likes this.
  20. jacobc62

jacobc62 The OG NASCAR Tiger. Banned

Okay, my review of Heat 4:

TL;DR: It's decent. It's not the best, but it's better than where we were at even just 4 years ago with Heat: Evolution. It might not be worth the full Triple-A game title price, but it's a game worth getting.

I didn't even touch Evolution due to immense amount of bad reviews it had. I had very little play time with Heat 2, and hated nearly every moment of it. I might only have a combined 10 hours between the PC and Xbox versions of Heat 3, but I found it to be miles better than the previous titles combined and what I feel is the first true full game compared to Evolution's and Heat 2's "demo" feeling.

Heat 4 goes miles further with the franchise, but like the sport it covers, there's much more mileage to cover.

AI: 8/10
    The AI in Heat 3 was all over the place, literally and figuratively.... I found myself pulling away quite easily in the Dirt Series on "Legend" difficulty, but could barely keep up in Cup on "Normal". 704 Games have given players even more control on how the AI race and how difficult they can be to pass, and it works fairly well. Sure, I might still win by miles in Dirt one race, but with a couple of tweaks, I can have the battle of the century against for the win Tony Stewart in the next race.

One feature added into the game that I have been clamoring about for a couple years now was the ability for the AI to, in simple terms, utilize something similar to the "Share Draft" feature from Thunder 2004 when in front of or behind the player. I have wanted to see the AI choose to draft with me, and I can finally see that, so big props to 704 for that.

Unfortunately, Despite one big box checked off of my list still leaves another unanswered: A fix to the reputation system in the game. Call me spoiled, but I loved the system EA Sports had from Thunder 2004 to iirc Total Team Control: 06 with the more or less instant reactions to player-on-ai interactions (though tbf that system itself was not without it's own flaws). Sure, keep the post-race tweets about the race so we can provoke or apologize our competitors, but at least show me an instant reaction as to why a driver is mad at me rather than give me a "hey, you got within 5 inches of my car and now I hate you *angry face*" tweet by a driver you were never around during any part of the weekend.

Graphics: 8/10
    While not the highest item on my list of priorities, no one can deny that a game with great gameplay but piss poor graphics will still sell less copies than a bad game with near life-like graphics. No one can deny that Heat 4 has had a graphical facelift compared to Heat 3, mainly thanks to the latest Unity engine used to create Heat 4, and while it's good that the game looks pretty, there are a couple of weird quirks about the graphics that I have found myself to not be alone on....

First, the motion blur. Yes, we finally have a sense of speed in these cars and why are we now in light speed, again? I get it, we asked for a better sense of speed for a stock-car traveling at 3 times the average highway speed in the United States, but bahjezus y'all took it a little too far, 704! iRacing recently added motion blur for their replay and driving cams, and I have both setting turned on to the max, and it's still more realistic looking than Heat 4's.

Also, there is occasionally a weird shimmering effect around the player car that I've noticed whenever it's caught in the draft being pushed by a draft partner... Whether this is a glitch due to the Star-Wars-Lightspeed-Motion-Blur or something else is not within my technical knowledge to know, but it does become annoying after a while.

Other than that, Graphics seem to be on point.

Physics: 9/10
    Still leaning heavily on the arcade-style of things a bit too much, but Heat 4 is still a massive improvement over what Heat 3 had. It of course helps that you can adjust how you want the car to handle both in the setup menu and in the in-game options menus. You don't automatically spin around and get murdered to death by the whole field t-boning you when clipping the apron (unless you're racing Dirt at Bristol, apparently), nor do you get murdered to death by ping-ponging off of the AI when you're stuck in the middle 3-wide. While I'm sure that this is probably, sadly, the peak of what we'll get from 704 Games until they move away from the Unity engine, I like the changes they made here.

Paint Booth: 4/10
    The in-game paint booth was non-existent in Evolution, found it's footing in Heat 2 when the career mode was expanded and you could race a custom car you created, was greatly expanded in Heat 3 and seemed to get close to that the classic EA Sports NASCAR Thunder titles held.... So why in the holy hell would you remove many parts of the foundation set by earlier games, primarily sponsor choices, and sponsor decal variants, from the Paint Booth, let alone continue to have the decals placed in such odd locations that make no god-damned sense!

Okay, so the ability to switch between series has been improved massively, the addition of every car number single and double-digit along with a much cleaner UI has pretty much saved the Paint Booth from getting a flat 0/10 from me, but you shouldn't remove a major part of the foundation on which a feature started to become great to begin with!

Career Mode: 7/10
    Ah, Career mode. The place where we can live out our fantasies of being better than Richard Petty, Dale Earnhardt, and Jimmie Johnson combined! Bare-Bones minimum in the first game, a flat base setup for the future in the second, and the promised expansion in the third, Career Mode almost didn't have much going for it other than the ability to start in any series, and the player finally getting to see their driver's last name on the rear window banner in place of the actual driver's name! Other than that, and a new UI to match every other aspect of the game, Career Mode is essentially the same as Heat 3's. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's not good either.

Challenges: 7/10
    Still miss having proper introductions for each scenario, whether it's Alan Bestwick telling me the times to beat to earn Bronze, Silver, or Gold in Heat 2002 or Michael Waltrip's grid walk interviews of Thunder 2004, I would like to get more than just flavor text and just thrown into the action without care. That said, the challenges seem like fun. They're more or less a traditional part of NASCAR games anyways, so it's still cool to see them around. What really boosts the score though is the ability to unlock additional schemes by playing the challenges!

Overall Score: 7.17/10 (43/60) - Heat 3's Score: 6/10 (36/60)