1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

NASCAR Silly Season and News

Discussion in 'NASCAR Discussion' started by ahspencer01, Jul 27, 2018.

1. chargenick1563

chargenick1563 Professional Amateur

I'm very intrigued by the appearance of a rear diffuser. But overall the car looks very promising. I appreciate the flat, curvy body and the X-3 style splitter. The car is also very blocky and bulky in overall appearance and that's a good sign. The greenhouse looks real good too. With such a small decklid, the greenhouse will be able to prevent more air from hitting the spoiler as it travels over the car. The lack of aero lines in the quarter and door panels is nice to see as well. Couple things I'm concerned about tho is that there are still side skirts and fender flares. Those two are the main culprits when it comes to side force in the Gen 6 cars and to see that they're returning for Gen 7 is less than ideal. Hopefully the on track product will prove me wrong. Of course, all we can do now is speculate.

2. RacerXero84

RacerXero84 Obnoxious old fart

So.... NASCAR making it a GT3 class formally in 2021 if any of this ends up on the final build. Low HP, TONS of downforce (not talking about the spoiler), hood vents, etc etc etc.

All this to woo another OEM into NASCAR that probably won't come in with the same force Toyota did. Meanwhile, we get watered down racing, with more stuff that can break, and thus less beating and banging, which has been part of the NASCAR style since its inception.

Hard pass, if this ends up being the case. Go watch IMSA (owned by NASCAR execs?) or Euro GT3. It's almost like Brian France is still running this show from the shadows.

ChadVSO likes this.
  3. crazyboy335

crazyboy335 Duck Dynasty

If the diffuser works properly, you won't need to have a tall spoiler. That means even less dirty air is hitting trailing cars, making passing possible.

IndyCar oval racing from 2015-2017 shows that you can have amazing racing with gobs of downforce.

I love this so far. I really hope it works out and the racing returns to Gen-4 form.

USSTalladega and starscream24 like this.
  4. MrDude68

MrDude68 Occasional Backwards Driver

I'm not going to pretend I know physics, but I sure hope it's a success

BrendonH12 likes this.
  5. dalejr88rox

dalejr88rox Raise hell, praise Dale, burn down Panera Bread

For anyone who follows any other form of motorsports, you'll know ground effects is the best compromise between aero grip and good racing. Ground effects generates downforce all through air traveling below the car, essentially eliminating the need for aero appendages and eliminating the problem of dirty air. Formula 1 is moving that way as well in the coming years and I think this is a great idea

6. db512

db512 2011 SRD Cup Series Champion

The one thing to remember they mentioned this is not the actually body as the OEMs are still working on those. So I am not going to dig into the body styles too much but obviously they put all they could into the car to get it on track and see how it reacts in the real world. Plus get the mechanicals inside and underneath on track too.

dalejr88rox likes this.
  7. Hendrick9Fan

Hendrick9Fan Paint Crew Paint Crew

8. MillsLayne

MillsLayne Told to stay in his ****ing motorhome.

Man, I am absolutely stoked for the return of the splitter. /s

Keselowski2Wallace likes this.
  9. nj9703

nj9703 Very Stable Genius

This is less splitter than we currently have, it's shaped like it was on the x-3 so it can't be completely sealed.

10. MillsLayne

MillsLayne Told to stay in his ****ing motorhome.

I just don't like the look of it, but let's wait and see what the racing is like.

11. mtblillie

mtblillie Well-Known Member

I have heard several ppl say this was a chassis test, and the body will likely by at least somewhat different.

Virox6549 and Shockey Rai like this.
  12. starscream24

starscream24 Captain of Unpopular Opinions.

Looks like the cars from Nascar Rumble on the PS1. I like it.

13. Virox6549

Virox6549 Well-Known Member

I believe this is correct, Bob Pockrass has said multiple times that this isn't the gen 7 body on Twitter.

Source: https://twitter.com/bobpockrass/status/1181284077703454720

Shockey Rai likes this.
  14. Brandon Miller

Brandon Miller Well-Known Member

15. Dodgeman4345

Dodgeman4345 Well-Known Member

16. SebaXRuiz

SebaXRuiz 6 Time SRD Pick'em race winner

https://www.foxbusiness.com/sports/...sEQ6KHmdO8d_lsnq5dUBAfdgnDUiScFuPgkXxwPXgHL1c

17. dalejr88rox

dalejr88rox Raise hell, praise Dale, burn down Panera Bread

18. USSTalladega

USSTalladega Making a comeback!

I really do hope the rumor of the manufacturer specific wheels becomes reality. As for the one lug deal...if it's due to physics as Larry Mac said the other day then oh well. I'd much prefer the traditional five if at all possible though. Bigger wheels means bigger brakes. The hood intake vents instead of the old cowl intake will take some getting used too but if it's the better method then I'm for it. The lower roof and shorter rear deck are a plus in regards to curbing dirty air so hell yeah to that. Loving the fact that they are clearly open to having the exhaust come out of both sides again. The two alternate versions are interesting. Excited to see if they indeed do go with a shorter spoiler. That would be nice. As for all the underbody stuff(splitter, side skirts and rear diffuser) That gets a big thumbs up for me. Those three things alone...no way in HELL will the racing be worse than it is now. Even with a taller and wider tire. They are definitely going in the right direction.

Well if there was something better then everyone wouldn't still be using some type of splitter.

19. Brandon Miller

Brandon Miller Well-Known Member

I get everyone saying the bigger rims will allow bigger brakes. Cup cars can run a 13" rotor right now with a 15" rim. The rotors are set back from the hubs and the calipers are a low profile design that will still tuck inside the 15" rim. The larger rims are for the shorter sidewall tires that do not flex like a 15" tire sidewall will.

20. SebaXRuiz

SebaXRuiz 6 Time SRD Pick'em race winner