5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Downloads
Updated

NASCAR Silly Season and News

MattyO

Kinder Gentler Blowhard
Admin
Reaction score
And also they set a good example of not tolerating racism or bigotry of any kind as well. I'm still gonna praise Nascar for how they dealt with the situation.
You shittin me dude? It wasn't even a noose. It was a basic knot used for a pull down handle. And instead of using common sense,getting ahead of the story and investigating first, they immediately took to the media and twitter. Why not investigate first, get the facts, and then break the story? I mean, what............the...............fuck?

This whole thing was handled so poorly buy NASCAR I am shocked you guys can sit here and act as if nothing went wrong here.

No one reports facts anymore. It's straight to twitter and the cancel culture and let the mob pressure these companies/industries to act before the facts even come out. It's pathetic. Really, it is.

And god forbid if you doubted the story, you were a racist then too.

But you keep on swimming in that river of denial that you and the rest of the media and twitter mob aren't part of the problem today. I know its a jagged pill to swallow because you were dead fucking wrong. But.......NASCAR fucked this whole thing up worse than a soup sandwich. And the apology nation bought it hook,line and sinker.

The worst part about all this is Bubba. Now he's got to hear shit like he made this up. It's the Smollet story all over again.

MattyO

Kinder Gentler Blowhard
Admin
Reaction score
Oh, and I don't want to hear this stupid shit "I'd rather be wrong than a racist" bullshit either. That's a total cop out to not eat crow.

MattyO

Kinder Gentler Blowhard
Admin
Reaction score
A few thoughts...

I hereby retract my statement that this supports the idea that racism still exists in our sport and in our world. Plenty of other things do, but this particular one of course doesn't. I'll eat my words when I'm wrong.

That being said...

I think everyone acted as they should have had in this scenario. In the context of the current state of affairs in NASCAR, a team member notified NASCAR. NASCAR notified the FBI, Bubba, and the press in that order. No one in particular was accused of anything. In the meantime, the sport as a whole rallied around Bubba and made sure that he had their full support and no one was going to screw with one of their own. A powerful sentiment.

What I disagree with is NASCAR immediately calling it a "noose", or at the very least announcing definitively that it was a noose. I think it was a little soon for that and was the spark that created a lot of the outrage, and there was better language to use considering the context. They would've still been able to announce the issue and have the FBI investigate whether it was a noose and thus a hate crime. That being said, I would much rather have NASCAR announce this and be wrong than have them sit on it and be right. I just think they could have approached this a little bit better in that regard.
This guy get's it.

JNieder51188

SRD Member
Reaction score
You shittin me dude? It wasn't even a noose. It was a basic knot used for a pull down handle. And instead of using common sense,getting ahead of the story and investigating first, they immediately took to the media and twitter. Why not investigate first, get the facts, and then break the story? I mean, what............the...............fuck?

This whole thing was handled so poorly buy NASCAR I am shocked you guys can sit here and act as if nothing went wrong here.

No one reports facts anymore. It's straight to twitter and the cancel culture and let the mob pressure these companies/industries to act before the facts even come out. It's pathetic. Really, it is.

And god forbid if you doubted the story, you were a racist then too.

But you keep on swimming in that river of denial that you and the rest of the media and twitter mob aren't part of the problem today. I know its a jagged pill to swallow because you were dead fucking wrong. But.......NASCAR fucked this whole thing up worse than a soup sandwich. And the apology nation bought it hook,line and sinker.

The worst part about all this is Bubba. Now he's got to hear shit like he made this up. It's the Smollet story all over again.
The Don Lemon interview from tonight isn’t going to calm the story either.

JNieder51188

SRD Member
Reaction score
I really feel bad for Bubba. He's going to get a rash of shit he doesn't deserve because of how poorly NASCAR handled this story.
Believe me I get it. NASCAR has done a terrible job at getting the message out that drivers were not allowed in the garage due to COVID precautions so a lot of idiots immediately want to compare it to the Smollett stuff. It’s not the same and he’s getting all the blowback., but The View and Don Lemon appearances don’t quell the skeptics. You can’t call people simple minded and afraid of change for simply questioning the legitimacy of a story or doubling down on the story after the FBI confirms it had been there for previous races.

MillsLayne

2x Champ, guys.
SRD Member
Reaction score
It may have not been handled the best, but the timing was horrible with everything else going on. Not every garage has a rope tied like that and it happened to be to the garage of the only black driver in the series. You have a plane flying a confederate flag over the track the day it was found and with what NASCAR has done the past couple of weeks with the flag ban and then the BLM pre-race event, there's been a lot of praise and a ton of fallout. Emotions are running high right now, so I can see where the misunderstanding is. It's a little embarrassing for the sport, yeah, but I really do think the timing of everything was why it blew up.

RichardCEP1991

Cornhusker
SRD Member
Reaction score
It may have not been handled the best, but the timing was horrible with everything else going on. Not every garage has a rope tied like that and it happened to be to the garage of the only black driver in the series. You have a plane flying a confederate flag over the track the day it was found and with what NASCAR has done the past couple of weeks with the flag ban and then the BLM pre-race event, there's been a lot of praise and a ton of fallout. Emotions are running high right now, so I can see where the misunderstanding is. It's a little embarrassing for the sport, yeah, but I really do think the timing of everything was why it blew up.
You literally said it right there! Bad timing and where this only rope was in the garage area it just so happened to be Bubbas garage. I think NASCAR handled it very well and the drivers did too. Drivers showed us we can all come together in the time of need!

MattyO

Kinder Gentler Blowhard
Admin
Reaction score
I think NASCAR handled it very well and the drivers did too. Drivers showed us we can all come together in the time of need!
I disagree. The whole thing was a complete PR disaster for Nascar. It was a simple handle. And the support in a time of need was for what? Absolutely nothing. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it wasn't noose that someone intentionally put in Bubba's garage. But this whole thing was a nothing burger.

https://twitter.com/bobpockrass/status/1275620526657069056?s=19

Someone needs to reel him in. Bubba isn't doing himself any favors.

RacerXero84

Obnoxious old fart
SRD Member
Reaction score
I was willing to give Bubba the benefit of the doubt here.

Until he went on CNN, via Don Lemon's show (which PR guy thought that would be a smart idea? They should be blacklisted from the field for life.)

There are SO many pics and videos from various years that show the same scaffolding knot being used on the garage door pull, that leads me to believe that Bubba is either 1- completely and unabashedly oblivious OR 2 - lying through his teeth. Pick one. There's no other logical explanation for it.

Another thing: why is NASCAR and their respective media heads going practically radio silent on social media? This isn't proper damage control, this reminds me more of a 'we need to STFU and figure out how to get ahead of this' or, at best, 'lay low till this blows over'.

SO MANY PEOPLE, when the pics first surfaced on social media prior to the FBI statement, when they legitimately questioned this, were *BLASTED* as racist, by other people and NASCAR media (tweet deletion mode is currently in full effect for many of them BTW)
That is the real issue here, one that goes beyond NASCAR or this situation. If we want equality and fairness, then, if this was legit, someone would have been held VERY much accountable. So the same should go for the person(s) responsible for blowing this so incredibly far out of proportion.

RichardCEP1991

Cornhusker
SRD Member
Reaction score
[QUOTE="MattyO, post: 891509, member: 1]It was a simple handle. [/QUOTE]

Yea...In the shape of a noose of all things. I agreed with what Buuba said on CNN it didn’t matter if it was intended to him or not, that was a plain and simple noose in my eyes too. You have a country protesting for Black Lives Matter and you got the only African American driver in NASCAR. Tention is high for that team and he even said that Talladega he was going to have to be extra careful around fans after banning the Confederate Flag. It makes sense how they could have mistaked it for a noose. If the 43 team had a different garage stall, this whole story wouldn’t have been in the headlines. I stand firm that NASCAR and FBI handled it very well and everyone took extra precautions. I seriously doubt this was all for hype...

RacerXero84

Obnoxious old fart
SRD Member
Reaction score
Yea...In the shape of a noose of all things. I agreed with what Buuba said on CNN it didn’t matter if it was intended to him or not, that was a plain and simple noose in my eyes too. You have a country protesting for Black Lives Matter and you got the only African American driver in NASCAR. Tention is high for that team and he even said that Talladega he was going to have to be extra careful around fans after banning the Confederate Flag. It makes sense how they could have mistaked it for a noose. If the 43 team had a different garage stall, this whole story wouldn’t have been in the headlines. I stand firm that NASCAR and FBI handled it very well and everyone took extra precautions. I seriously doubt this was all for hype...
It's not outside the realm of possibility. People have done more for less.
RPM has gotten support for Bubba after the BLM sponsored car... but no actual offers (because of the way we all know leaks to work, you think there would have been *something* by now), which means they are probably coming up short on money, and Medallion Financial being the business it is, wants a good ROI. Especially with a new independent director (that's another hornets nest I'll leave people to delve into on their own).

What better way than with a sympathy campaign? If it didn't get discredited all to hell so quickly, they stood to potentially gain a lot of notoriety for it. Just like when this whole story started, I'm keeping my mind open to possibilities, in which this scenario is actually fairly likely, all things considered.

Swagger Racing 26

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
What I’d take from that is this country has a serious problem. We’re conditioned into thinking anything and everything could be and will be racist. It’ll just cause people to be more divided, because it’ll make people who try and defend simple misunderstandings seem like horrible racists, even when they’re not.
NASCAR handled that horribly they should just kept it hidden until FBI made it's job.. but nope let's make a big show of it..
even tho it was great to see that all drivers supported each other and are really a big family
but the worst part about all this as we see now is Bubba's got to hear shit like he made this up... Smollett 2.0 etc..
Bubba made nothing wrong but NASCAR fucked everything up...

Chevellion

Former SRD Cup League Director
SRD Member
Reaction score
Here are Bubba's comments on the matter, so everyone can read and make their own opinion:

"I have never seen a noose personally in my life,” said Wallace. “I’ve seen a lot of garage pulls. We’ve had a lot of garages growing up and racing out of. We simply had to tie a knot at the bottom of it to pull. And nowadays you press a button and the garage goes down.

“But it was, in fact, a noose as a garage pull.”

“There’s no comparison there,” said Wallace.” [I was] simply listening to the facts that was delivered to me and the processes that were already being held. I was just an innocent bystander. But people won’t buy that and that’s ok. I know what’s true in my heart and in my mind. The people around me know that that’s the truth. I’ll lay my head down at night seeping really good knowing that I’m telling the truth."

MattyO

Kinder Gentler Blowhard
Admin
Reaction score
Yea...In the shape of a noose of all things. I agreed with what Buuba said on CNN it didn’t matter if it was intended to him or not, that was a plain and simple noose in my eyes too.
You're part of the problem.
Here are Bubba's comments on the matter, so everyone can read and make their own opinion:
That's not what he said with Don Lemon of CNN last night.
“I’ve been racing all of my life,” Wallace told CNN's Don Lemon. “We've raced out of hundreds of garages that never had garage pulls like that. So people that want to call it a garage pull and put out all the videos and photos of knots being as their evidence, go ahead, but from the evidence that we have – and I have – it’s a straight-up noose.”
Really though, What is Bubba Wallace doing? All he had to say was "I'm glad that it wasn't the worst case scenario and I'm proud that my NASCAR family and NASCAR had my back from the very beginning of the investigation"

Done. Over. Move on. Next play.

Last edited:

CCM284

SRD Member
Reaction score
What I’d take from that is this country has a serious problem. We’re conditioned into thinking anything and everything could be and will be racist. It’ll just cause people to be more divided, because it’ll make people who try and defend simple misunderstandings seem like horrible racists, even when they’re not.
Taking a more general look at this situation, what I took from this is that this country has a big problem with forming and publicizing opinions too quickly. Regardless of what your stance on this was/is, when this news first broke people quickly formed their own opinions and immediately started blasting those who didn't agree with them. If people (including NASCAR) had just waited to figure out the facts before forming a concrete opinion, then I think a lot of the tension that exists now could have been avoided.

I'll be honest, when the news first broke, I went with it and showed support towards Bubba but I still had my doubts. Then with the news yesterday that it was just a garage pull, it confirmed my suspicions. NASCAR really dropped the ball on this one by not waiting to have all the facts before blowing this up to the level that they did. Don't get me wrong, the show of support that happened pre-race on Monday was still a great moment in terms of showing that NASCAR is a family and will not tolerate racism. Plus, just a personal thought, how in the world did no one from NASCAR or a team recognize that the "noose" was a garage pull. Yeah it might have looked like a noose, but from the picture I've seen of it from last fall, to me it's so obvious that it's a garage pull.

Riley Maddox

SRD Member
Reaction score
Bubba definitely shouldn’t have gone on CNN. I know he didn’t do anything wrong, but he’s only making himself look worse to the people who are already tearing him down.