Latest resources

The Fastest ¼ Mile in the Northeast gets the "Full Monty" PST treatment with this 2020 facelift!
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Downloads
Updated
NXS20 Mustang Template 2048 x 2048 Update MattyO
Bigger rear decal (tail light decal)
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Downloads
Updated
NXS Mod Cts Physics MattyO
NXS20 Mod Cts Physics
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings
Downloads
Updated
NXS Mod Cup Physics MattyO
NXS20 Mod Cup Physics
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings
Downloads
Updated
SRD NXS20 Blender Scene Burnout
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Downloads
Updated

NASCAR Silly Season and News

RacerXero84

Obnoxious old fart
SRD Member
Reaction score
Someone has finally talked some sense into him and told him what he needs to say.
PR people stepping in, if I had to make an educated guess.

While I get many want to move on from this, I really think there are some people within the NASCAR world that would be best served by offering some level of contrition, for allowing this to get so far out of hand and from those who libel/slandered people who simply were looking for the truth of the matter (neither will happen, IMO, sadly).

Those actions would alleviate most of the remaining tension, but it's still going to be a long time before they wipe all the egg off their face.

NickyJ

SRD Member
Reaction score
2020 has been the most bizarre season I've ever watched. Months of races shut down, a driver fired because of what he said in a video game chat, another driver losing a sponsor for ragequitting a game, and now a march in solidarity brought on by a looped garage door rope.

I can't wait for the 2nd half of this season, but I hope they hire new writers next year.

JeffJordan

My name is no longer Jeff Jordan
SRD Member
Reaction score
Well, since NASCAR didn't have that particular inciting incident to show solidarity for then, they certainly do now with all the hate Bubba's getting on Twitter...

No hate crime occurred at Talladega. This is good! Doesn't mean he doesn't deal with stuff like this every day, especially ramping up over the past month. NASCAR made a mistake, but no apologies are owed here except maybe to Bubba. They acted properly. "See something, say something" is valid here and the reaction is justified in the current climate.

RacerXero84

Obnoxious old fart
SRD Member
Reaction score
Well, since NASCAR didn't have that particular inciting incident to show solidarity for then, they certainly do now with all the hate Bubba's getting on Twitter...

No hate crime occurred at Talladega. This is good! Doesn't mean he doesn't deal with stuff like this every day, especially ramping up over the past month. NASCAR made a mistake, but no apologies are owed here except maybe to Bubba. They acted properly. "See something, say something" is valid here and the reaction is justified in the current climate.
So nascar media/members shouldn't apologize for labeling people racist or simple minded for daring to question the narrative of the story?

JeffJordan

SRD Member
Reaction score
So nascar media/members shouldn't apologize for labeling people racist or simple minded for daring to question the narrative of the story?
Why did anybody question the narrative of the story? Displaying a noose with intent to intimidate happens every day in America. Happened (apparently, haven't seen more on it) at Sonoma Raceway. And everybody had the same information. I had no reason not to believe NASCAR, especially because of everything that's happened in the past month.

I'm frankly relieved to be wrong. It's good to know that Bubba isn't in danger in the garage.

RacerXero84

Obnoxious old fart
SRD Member
Reaction score
Why did anybody question the narrative of the story? Displaying a noose with intent to intimidate happens every day in America. Happened (apparently, haven't seen more on it) at Sonoma Raceway. And everybody had the same information. I had no reason not to believe NASCAR, especially because of everything that's happened in the past month.

I'm frankly relieved to be wrong. It's good to know that Bubba isn't in danger in the garage.
Because social media was swamped with the pictures from 2019 of the *same exact stall* (I'll assume here that you haven't seen them). And then the clearly cut same segment from the same stall this past weekend.

So, naturally, people started to wonder if this was the heinous act NASCAR and everyone else was hyping it up to be, and not someone mistaking a scaffolding knot for a hangman's noose/slipknot. So yeah, presented with that, I (and a ton of others) then said 'ok, let's take a minute here and get some answers'.

JeffJordan

SRD Member
Reaction score
Because social media was swamped with the pictures from 2019 of the *same exact stall* (I'll assume here that you haven't seen them). And then the clearly cut same segment from the same stall this past weekend.

So, naturally, people started to wonder if this was the heinous act NASCAR and everyone else was hyping it up to be, and not someone mistaking a scaffolding knot for a hangman's noose/slipknot. So yeah, presented with that, I (and a ton of others) then said 'ok, let's take a minute here and get some answers'.
I did see them. Pictures sometimes lie. I didn't find a reliable source that posted them so I didn't know if they were Photoshopped or not (given that's an incredibly easy thing to do with the small edit) so it was easier to believe what the crew member, and NASCAR thought given the current climate. Especially since that's something that happens every day. The FBI statement came and I accepted I was wrong.

And again, none of this matters since NASCAR showing solidarity with their one black driver and other drivers coming out and speaking up is inarguably a good thing. A lot of the people now wanting apologies for being called racist (like former MLB player Aubrey Huff) have said racist things unrelated to this and don't deserve any kind of apology.

Also, being called racist is not an insult. It's a plea to reflect and rectify. Are the accusations always right? Of course not. But we could all reflect some more regardless.

MattyO

SJW & Woke Hater
Admin
Reaction score

I did see them. Pictures sometimes lie. I didn't find a reliable source that posted them so I didn't know if they were Photoshopped or not (given that's an incredibly easy thing to do with the small edit) so it was easier to believe what the crew member, and NASCAR thought given the current climate. Especially since that's something that happens every day. The FBI statement came and I accepted I was wrong.

And again, none of this matters since NASCAR showing solidarity with their one black driver and other drivers coming out and speaking up is inarguably a good thing. A lot of the people now wanting apologies for being called racist (like former MLB player Aubrey Huff) have said racist things unrelated to this and don't deserve any kind of apology.

Also, being called racist is not an insult. It's a plea to reflect and rectify. Are the accusations always right? Of course not. But we could all reflect some more regardless.
This may sound corny. But man have you grown up. Well said.

JeffJordan

SRD Member
Reaction score
This may sound corny. But man have you grown up. Well said.
Thanks, I do really appreciate it. Thanks for putting up with me for almost half my life, lol. Even though we've quarreled I will always respect and appreciate what you do for this community.

MattyO

SJW & Woke Hater
Admin
Reaction score
Thanks, I do really appreciate it. Thanks for putting up with me for almost half my life, lol. Even though we've quarreled I will always respect and appreciate what you do for this community.
No problem. Seen a lot of you youngsters grow up right before my very eye's. Some survived my dictatorship, most didn't,lol.

RichardCEP1991

Cornhusker
SRD Member
Reaction score
Least now we can all go Pocono and enjoy a good race without any kind of problems now (hopefully). Good double header weekend at the tricky triangle

MillsLayne

2x Champ, guys.
SRD Member
Reaction score

I couldn't have said any of this better myself.

Chevellion

Former SRD Cup League Director
SRD Member
Reaction score
NASCAR finally provided a picture of the rope. While ultimately due to just some guy making a knot, the numbers behind NASCAR's audit really illustrate how unfortunately random this was:

NASCAR conducted a thorough sweep of every garage area in all 29 tracks at which it races, a total of 1,684 garage stalls.

"We found only 11 total that had a pull-down rope tied in a knot, and only one noose -- the one discovered on Sunday in Bubba Wallace's garage," Phelps said.

1593120894656.png

Looks like a noose to me.

mtblillie

It's MTB Lillie, not MT Billy
SRD Member
Reaction score
I heard the story somewhere that the crew member that found it walked along the garage area to see if he was over-reacting about it, but found only their garage had it. On that info alone I think it was reasonable to say that it needed to be reported. It may be a bit extreme that it would happen in the garage area, but given a lot of negativity pointed at Bubba over his BLM car and his comments about the Confederate flags (not to mention horrible comments from "fans" that I've read), it is not even close to being outside the realm of possibility.

Seeing this picture I can even forgive Bubba's comments and NASCAR's reaction that it could be nothing other than a statement. But given that it wasn't (or at least, that there is no solid evidence that it was), it does teach a valuable lesson that even though we think we know the truth, doesn't mean we actually know the truth. I hate mob rule, and I hate that social media has become such a big factor in allowing mob rule to thrive. I am not knocking anyone for the reactions they made, but I wish we didn't have to be so committed to making a decision and especially acting on that decision without really knowing what happened, reasonable or not.

RacerXero84

Obnoxious old fart
SRD Member
Reaction score
It's a scaffolding knot. There's a cross-over on it that isn't present on a standard slipknot.

That being said, Matt can have his crow boiled; I prefer teriyaki marinated with a dash of worcestershire.