1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

New Gillette Commercial

Discussion in 'Politics/Religion' started by Mystical, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

ugh gawd that new Gillete ad is horrendous. I hope any Nascar teams/Nascar itself/Nascar fans drops them from any sponsorship. At least they are getting slammed with massive dislikes and rightfully so.

Riley Maddox and RacerXero84 like this.
  2. EarnhardtFan

EarnhardtFan Residential Twitch Addict

Personally I'm on the other side of the coin. Now I haven't taken the time to watch it myself, but from what I've seen the message seems to be something around "Be better to each other" which I am ALL FOR, putting it in a razor add is questionable and I think it would have been stupid to expect any other response from people, but I like the message.

That being said I am laughing at how the message and that the irony of boycotting Gillette for it seems lost on some people (not saying you specifically)

Mystical and joeykraus19 like this.
  3. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

What I got from it is 'boys will be boys' is bad and all men inherently have a problem treating the opposite sex better, some have been taught by now (becasue apparently only men need to be taught this), and the rest need to be taught to be 'better'. Like I'd love to see this same ad but with women for all the awful things they can do to men but that'll never happen. Either way a company that should be focusing on selling a product is trying to shove another agenda in. Its just as annoying as Battlefield V's agenda. BFV pretty much told its customers if you don't like our message then don't buy the game, and the fans didn't. Now EA with the battlefield series is in serious trouble financially since they pretty much told their customer base to F off lol.

4. EarnhardtFan

EarnhardtFan Residential Twitch Addict

I mean as far as I remember all EA did was put a playable female character in the game. But I get your point, "if the roles were reversed then xyz", it just doesn't bother me, personally.

5. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

Yeah the females being in the game as playable characters for multiplayer was not the issue (only the small minority of sexist idiots or young children). It was the historically inaccurate stories of women they put into the game while saying the game was non-fiction replacing the stories of men who actually did those actions. At the same time they completely ignored the real women who fought in WWII and never told their stories. EA took it a step further and had an in-house mockery by putting on display all the bad comments from their channels making it look like that is what every fan of Battlefield was like towards women. One of their now fired CEO's or something pretty much said if you don't like our representation of history then don't buy the game and well ... BFV did extremely poor in sales becasue of it lol. Like regardless if the game has a skewed message or not, telling your customers to 'not buy it' will really win over their hearts and minds, its worked so well with other products in the past (cough Xbox One at E3 2013).

6. Darren Ingram

Darren Ingram Moderator Moderator

I just watched it and see no problem with the ad.

What do they deserve to get disliked for? I took away from the video, "hey don't be a piece of shit." It's a topic that's important, and they didn't say anything wrong in my opinion.

7. Darren Ingram

I didn't get that. It's not saying that all men are bad, it's saying that much of the poor behavior of men can be pointed to this attitude of "boys will be boys". Hell, I was told it often in my childhood. I wouldn't say that the ad is saying that only men need to be taught to act properly, it's highlighting the current events we're dealing with where these sexual assaults are happening overwhelmingly in the case of males doing the attacking. The reason the ad in vice versa won't happen is because that's not the crisis. We don't see women sexually abusing men anywhere near the rate the opposite is happening. Note, I am not saying that women commuting sexual assault or domestic violence doesn't happen, or that it isn't an issue, it just simply doesn't happen as much.

I've always felt that companies and people with large audiences and the platform to do so should speak out on issues.

8. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

Yeah I definitely feel the opposite. When I am buying or looking for a product/service I don't need to have a sermon held over my head. Show me what you are trying to sell and sell it. Its even more silly when companies like Gilette that makes razors is the one trying to be all high and mighty. I don't trust large companies and whatever 'message' they are trying to spread always always always has an ulterior motive. They don't care about people or the betterment of the world, all they really care about is that bottom line $$$ and what ways they can squeeze more out of people whether that be the consumer or their own employees.

9. Darren Ingram

Why is that? Is it because you don’t always agree with the message? Do you not agree that this current wave of sexual misconduct is disgusting and a problem?

What if this was the 1800s and the issue was slavery, or if this was the 1960s and we were talking about segregation? Would you still be opposed to these companies speaking up, when they have every right to do so?

That’s fair. But, no one is forcing you to watch the ad. You can simply click away, or not pay attention to it. This doesn’t really effect their products at all, and I don’t think it is a crime for them to put their beliefs out there.

I don’t see it as them being “high and mighty.” They’re simply encouraging not being an awful person really. This statement really sounds like the equivalent of “shut up and dribble” (shut up and make razors).

Again, a fair point. But I mean, it is a business, and they have every right to look after their bottom line. But, money as a motive or not, they’re still putting out a good message.

10. MrDude68

MrDude68 Occasional Backwards Driver

Neither masculinity nor femininity is toxic. Being an idiot is toxic. "Toxic masculinity" is a term designed to drag men down while lifting women up. I do not agree with that message, because it's not a message that lets everyone win. Instead, it blames masculinity for the sexual mistreatment that women face. The problem with feminism is that men are always in the crosshairs. Masculinity is not the issue.

11. Darren Ingram

This is not true. True feminism is simply equality, which is what most people want. Don’t let the loud, unruly, idiotic people that claim they are feminists but actually believe that men are awful and inferior, etc. give feminism a bad rep. They are not true feminists, and they are nowhere near the majority.

12. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

Companies are free to spread whatever message they want to their benefit or their demise. But to think that I need to be taught/told by a company ad to not be a racist or treat someone with respect is just hilarious. It should be the parents, schools, and those raising the next generation to be responsible to make sure they have good morals.

Gilette can make an ad saying "buy our razor, by the way, don't be racist". Any decent human already knows this. The idiots who treat others like garbage are not the ones who are going to take these 'ads' to heart. These companies are pretty much speaking to the innocent telling the stuff they already know not to be or do while the terrible people will continue offending. Those people ether need medical/mental/emotional help to get them back on track. Maybe if Gillete came out and said they were donating to an organization that helps troubled people it would be a better message but as far as I am concerned they've done nothing noble but say a few buzzwords and pretended they moved a movement forward.

Like I said they can spread whatever message they want in a paid ad. It doesn't mean I have to agree with the delivery method whether I like the message being said or not. Companies that donate or help organizations that fight a certain injustice or issue are dong a lot more than ones just talking. Even then you have to be cautious about companies donating because in most cases its pocket change to them and its meant to emotionally stir people in one direction or another.

I don't have much else to say, good talk. I don't want to turn the random thought thread into a long chain of posts. Its only Tuesday and a long week left to go lol.

tl;dr I don't know if corporate america is the one who should be responsible for sending messages about morals and ethics to the population lol

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    DaveO, Riley Maddox, MattyO and 5 others like this.
  13. Darren Ingram

One hundred percent agree.
    One hundred ten percent agree. I believe that words are a starting point, but actual actions are needed for true change.

I probably sounded way more standoffish than I intended too during this, lol.

Tetronix and Mystical like this.
  14. Phoenix

Phoenix Wheeze

Politics do not belong in my Red Bull can.

15. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

na, I understood what you meant. I should have said at the start I just think its funny corporate america is trying to play the parents. I wasn't able to formulate the tagline until after typing everything out lol

16. RacerXero84

RacerXero84 Obnoxious old fart

Yup. Selling the brand on morals when all most consumers care about in regards to them is the product. Don't sell me moral compass calibration, tell me how you've made your crappy, overpriced razors better, and convince me to NOT go to Dollar Shave Club or just continue to grow a beard and use trimmers.

In that vital corporate aspect, they failed. And evidently managed to annoy quite a large number of people in the process. If you get your morals from things like Hollywood, corporations, or for-profit organizations instead of common sense, decency, and logic..... you are far beyond any help that Gillette can offer you lmao

17. MattyO

MattyO Well-Known Member Admin

18. Skyline

Skyline Graphic Designer Skyline Customs

Gillette's razors suck anyway lmao

Riley Maddox likes this.