Newbie to iracing

Discussion in 'iRacing.com Motorsports Simulations' started by islandiver, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. islandiver

islandiver New Member

Well, I finally jumped ship and signed up for iracing. right now month to month, that 2 year cost is too much scratch to hand over just yet. Anyway, I have a few questions, right now i'm a rookie and can only race legends. But I purchased the truck, would I be able to race non-sanctioned races like pick-up(no pun intended) races? Having said that, are their pick-up races or can I only race through the iracing website portal? that's it for now, but I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions soon.

BTW, does anyone have any tricks on getting a G25 calibration setting to stay? Every time I restart my computer I have to go through setting up my wheel in iracing.

2. John Gregorio

John Gregorio New Member

There are many ways to enjoy purchased content on iRacing.

The first way is to run an OFFICIAL series. You'll need the correct license to do this.
    The second way is to participate in 24 Hours Du Fun. These are races every Saturday that use a different vehicle/track combination. There is no points or safety rating in these races.
    The third and final way is to join a HOSTED race. These can be found at the top navigation bar under hosted. Safety rating and points also, do not count in these races.

1 person likes this.
  3. islandiver

islandiver New Member

So as long as I purchased the particular vehicle I wanted, I wouldn't necessarily need a license for it if I raced in a hosted race?

4. moppenheimer

moppenheimer #Murica

Yes, but you'll need the track as well

1 person likes this.
  5. islandiver

islandiver New Member

Okay, that sounds interesting. Been three days running Lanier in a Legend car. Don't know how much more I can take.

6. richsilver

richsilver New Member

The late model is fun and a populated series.You already have the truck,which seems to be a popular series too, so with those 2 you would be set through C.

Of course the slight drawback is the price of the tracks you'll need for these.I broke down and purchased almost all of the oval tracks,along with the lm,truck and Impalas A & B.Couldn't help myself.

Just managed to get a Impala B Phoenix race in,the last one.Doesn't seem to be as many running there.Probably the times I'm looking to race.

If your careful at the start of your time here you can progress to what you want to drive pretty quickly now.That was what kept me from trying it sooner,the thought of being stuck with a series I didn't care for.I can't say I like the Legends all that much,or the Solstice,but everything else I have I like,even the Spec racer.lol

Get some setups from the forum,watch some replays,do some practice,and run some hosted.
    If I can get to A in 2-3 weeks,anybody can.Ha!

rich

7. islandiver

islandiver New Member

Thanks Rich. I don't see how I'll get close to A license in two weeks. I spend too much time in the truck testing at LMS. I don't understand it, I've been racing these Papy sims since the original Nascar Racing but I can't get these cars to handle correctly. I have a G25 and I've tried every combination I can think of but I just can't get the wheel to keep the car stabilized. It's like it's getting too much input, but I've tried increasing the range (even up to over 1200 degrees of rotation), changing the FFB settings, even tried the baseline setup(which is 10X better than any other d/l setup I've tried). Does anyone have ideas why my G25 is so twitchy?

8. DPawlak

DPawlak Well-Known Member

You're not PLAYIN" N2003 anymore... this sim reacts to every single input... precise inputs are key...

900 degrees rotation should be the max

FOV is big... like 68 or something

NO FFB...

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  9. islandiver

islandiver New Member

I really think there's something up w/ the wheel. Even at 900 degrees when I enter a corner I barely turn the wheel at all and the back end will jump out (even at half-throttle). I'm even having this issue with the Legend cars too, just not as pronounced. Although if I test the truck at South Boston, I can control it pretty decent. So I'm also wondering if LMS might be part of the problem. But I don't want to have to shell out another $15 to try another track. Because I've read I think over at the iracing forums that someone else was having issues at Charlotte but nowhere else. IDK, I understand this isn't NR03 but I know I can drive better than this.

10. John Gregorio

John Gregorio New Member

Charlotte is a tricky track. Every car I've drove there seems like I'm running skis on the car and I'm plummeting down a snow mountain.

If you want to try another track, Texas is a lot of fun in the trucks. And you have to be very smooth with your wheel inputs because your vehicles react to every input. This can be a good when you are getting loose into the corner and you can turn the wheel right and straighten it back out but it can also be a bad thing if you turn too much into the corner and break the rear traction.

I can give you my settings.ini file if you'd like to try it. I run the game and logitech software ate 900 degrees and no feedback.

11. islandiver

islandiver New Member

Sure john, I'll try anything. Appreciate it.

12. richsilver

richsilver New Member

Try this setup.It's from Michael Main.He posted it awhile ago,but it's very stable.

You'll have to <1 click the lr perch to get the ride height,but I didn't do anything else,and while maybe not the fastest,it is very steady.Starts to tighten up quite a bit at around 30 laps.It should be a good setup start.

Get used to driving loooooose,it's the only way to keep up.lol

Good news is,it's easier to correct than it was in NR2003.Takes a lot of getting used to.I'm sure not real comfortable most of the time.Ha!

Smooth off and on the throttle,same with the brakes,the least input you need the better.lol

Can't help with the steering,but I always have to change the ratio for my TSW.10-1 is crazy for me.

For a change of pace,try out the spec racer this week,it's a riot.I even managed to finish a Charlotte road course race on the lead lap.lol(all be it,by about 10ft.Ha!)A lot of fun.

rich

Attached Files:

13. John Gregorio

John Gregorio New Member

Put this file in your /Documents/iRacing folder.

Make sure to back up the original in case you want it again.

Attached Files:

14. riviera71

riviera71 Well-Known Member

Any chance it could have something with the latest build to do?
    I tried practicing in the SK at Stafford for week 1 but I can't get 1 lap down and i've tried all my old sets + the defaults. The LM has a little of the same too but not as much. I haven't tried anyother cars but I've read about the legend and dallara having similar issues for some.

15. islandiver

islandiver New Member

Thanks everyone, I got it driving a little better. Haven't yet tried your control file john. But I think I've narrowed it down to the ffb. when I turn it off I can drive fine but that's not fun because I can't feel anything, so I've just got to keep it real low. I used the Daytona promo today so now have Daytona and the COT, and tbh, even though the COT is a death trap I seem to be able to control it better than the truck.

16. beatnik

beatnik New Member

So would you say turning OFF FFB is a good idea? I'm loving the FFB, but I love being more consistent as well lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.