1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

NR2003 Digital Dashboard

Discussion in 'NR2003 General Discussion' started by wslates, Jul 24, 2018.

1. wslates

wslates 1

Figured it was time to give this thing its own thread.

I have been developing a digital dashboard application that outputs live gauge telemetry from the sim. This would be intended for a second monitor or something. (The video below makes it seem like it is overlaying NR2003, but it is not. That is special effects magic, it's actually running on a second screen.)

So far, it's not hugely impactful on performance. Always <5% CPU and runs on about 30 MB of RAM.

A couple comments:
    - As you can see, no lap times are available. So far in my research, the sim can output a "Lap Crossing" every time a car passes the S/F line. This provides an accurate lap time. In addition, the lap crossing carries a flag which determines the type of car that just passed the S/F line. This can be: pacecar, AI, admin, or boss. (or any combination of the four) In an offline setting, this is trivial; it's easy to determine a player's car (they are not any of those) and thus their lap time. However, when you are racing online, it is impossible to know which human racer is the local player. So I can:
    - Provide a lap time no matter what, but it will provide nonsensical lap times if racing online.
    - Scrap lap time altogether.
    - ...In the meantime, I will do a little bit more research and see if there's a way to "prove" that a lap time is incorrect and automatically not show it.​
    A few possible features I could tie into this:
    - Multiple pages like they always talk about in the broadcast. The sim outputs pretty much every variable about your car. This ranges from engine performance (torque and power) to what every single one of your wheels/tires are doing (camber, shock deflection, force, rotational velocity, temperature, pressure). Might be a neat thing to see.
    - Trackbar position can probably be captured, will think about how to do that.
    - Current lap
    - time left (in practice, qualifying, etc.)
    - Current flag status (green/yellow)
    Here is the most recent video:

2. David Robb

David Robb Well-Known Member

Awesome

3. Darrell Pace

Darrell Pace Got a fresh set of Good Bye's on!

Very cool, it seems to be pretty promising!

4. wslates

wslates 1

If anyone wants to help me compile pictures of digital dashboard layouts, I'd be incredibly appreciative. That will help me out very soon.

Currently working on the universal artwork for the "analog" style gauges. Already have the "analog" tach up and running.

Attached Files:

ShadowKnight508 and joeykraus19 like this.
  5. wslates

wslates 1

Here is the "analog" style gauge layout, based upon CGR's digital dash.

Also...
    So, NR2003 does not compute the water pressure, which accounts for the missing gauge on the left. However, I've been looking into some thermodynamics, and I think I might be able to compute water pressure from the water temperature. Idk, though.

USSTalladega and joeykraus19 like this.
  6. Darrell Pace

Darrell Pace Got a fresh set of Good Bye's on!

Very nice work!

7. wslates

wslates 1

I have added functionality that allows you to switch dash pages when you are racing by using the < > keys. However, due to some issues with DirectX, the only way I've been able to get it to work is to have the program run as administrator. I don't really want to make such a trivial thing have to run as administrator, so I will continue to try to solve the problem without going that route. Worst case scenario....deal with it. Lol.

If I do make it have to run with administrator privileges, I will provide the source code to let everyone know I'm not installing a keylogger on your system or something.

8. wslates

wslates 1

A bit of an extension to this: this only applies if you want to switch "pages" in-game. Out of game, it will work no matter what. So you could run it normally and select your favorite page before starting NR2003, or run it as admin to be able to switch pages in-game.

9. wslates

wslates 1

Finally have some time to work on this...

A wild lap time appeared.

Did a lot of research into the lap time stuff and to the best of my knowledge, this will most likely not work online and instead give you the admin's lap times. Guess you can use that to cheat a bit and compare your lap times to the admin?
    upload_2019-6-11_11-8-42.png

10. James Gregory III

James Gregory III New Member

download link?

11. Nathaniel Burnham

Nathaniel Burnham Well-Known Member

I love this idea! Can't wait to see the final product!

12. Duck 78

Duck 78 Member

So is this still a thing? Last post was in 2019

13. Kazuo

Kazuo Well-Known Member

To piggy back off Duck 78's question, does anyone know if this could be modified to work from a tablet or phone through something like SIM Dashboard?
    https://www.stryder-it.de/simdashboard/

Certainly seems like all the moving pats are here.

14. wslates

wslates 1

Hi everyone. Sorry this fell by the wayside. I started a job last year and my days are 12 hours long door-to-door (3 hr commute, 9 hr day). And when my job is writing software, I tend to not want to write software when I get home. I want to get back working on this soon.

As for SimDashboard - it could work if they supported it. Although you can fairly easily get data out of the sim does not mean you can get it into that software, especially since it seems it's closed source.

15. Bitbreaker

Bitbreaker Well-Known Member

NR2003 isn't supported:
    American Truck Simulator (ATS)
    Assetto Corsa
    Assetto Corsa Competizione
    Automobilista
    Automobilista 2 BETA
    Activate Receive Beta Updates in the PC Application
    BeamNG.drive
    DiRT Rally 2.0
    DiRT 4
    DiRT Rally
    DiRT 3
    DiRT 2
    Euro Truck Simulator 2 (ETS2)
    Forza Horizon 4
    Forza Motorsport 7
    F1 2019
    F1 2018
    F1 2017
    F1 2016
    F1 2015
    F1 2014
    F1 2013
    F1 2012
    F1 2011
    F1 2010
    GRID (2019)
    Grid Autosport
    GRID 2
    Race Driver: GRID
    GTR 2
    GTR
    GT Legends
    iRacing
    KartKraft
    Landwirtschafts-Simulator 19 (LS19) (<==Farming Simulator 19)
    Live for Speed
    MotoGP 18
    OMSI 2
    Project Cars 2
    Project Cars
    Project Cars Pagani Edition
    RaceRoom Racing Experience
    Race 07
    rFactor 1
    rFactor 2
    Richard Burns Rally 1.02
    TrackMania²

16. Kazuo

Kazuo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the quick reply, I'm going to investigate open source dash apps and see if something can be done.

17. Kazuo

Kazuo Well-Known Member

That's true, but it was the dash app with the longest list of supported games, which led me to believe it just hadn't been attempted for NR2003. I've actually contacted the app creators to see if they can help.

InsideLine likes this.
  18. Kazuo

Kazuo Well-Known Member

Wee update on this, I got an email reply from Christian at Stryder who created Sim Dashboard. He confirmed that the NR2003 header files do contain the necessary data to make it compatible with their app. He's added it to the worklist, but said it could be a few months before it officially goes on the supported sims list.

Good news though and something to look forward to!

mtblillie, Skyline and InsideLine like this.