1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE

NR2003 Random Breakdowns

Discussion in 'NR2003 General Discussion' started by flatout1, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flatout1

flatout1 Member

It's been a while, but I used to know how to turn off random breakdowns with an entry in one of the INI files, but I can't remember the exact entry to use of which INI file it went in. This was specifically for Dedicated Server. It was something like "noRandombreakdowns=1" or
    was it "randombreakdowns=0"? Anyway we're racing a CTS series (4 of us with AI) and I have a dedicated server set up but the random breakdowns are becoming a problem. Anybody out there remember how to turn these off? Many thanks!.

2. Brad H

Brad H Well-Known Member

In the papy_ai file there are a couple of entries that might help. I would expect that these lines will only impact the ai cars rather though.

mechanical_failure_chance = 12.0
    mechanical_failure_interval = 540.0

If you want o get rid of them completely (for ai) set chance to 0, if you want to reduce the number of ai breakdowns then you can either make it lower or set the interval higher (ie check for breakdowns less often).

I'm not sure that this can be done for human drivers though - I couldn't find any other entries in any of the config files that looked like they would do this..

Usually breakdowns for human drivers mean that you have damaged the engine in a crash or by revving too high, or running water temp too high, or abusing the gears, rather than being hit with a random problem, so I'm not sure why you would want to get rid of these in any event.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Brad

3. flatout1

flatout1 Member

re: random breakdowns

when NR2003 first came out and I was racing in 5 leagues there was quite a problem with the random breakdowns, and yes they would occur with human players. There was a setting in either the core.ini or the player.ini for the server that would turn off the random breakdowns, and the best I can remember it was either "RandomBreakdowns=0" or "NoRandomBreakdowns=1". The entry turned off the random breakdowns for sure and made the racing better...no more losing an engine for no reason, breaking a gear on a shift that wasn't a hard shift (even with automatic shifting). Really sucked practicing many hours for a race only to be randomly picked for a failure by the sim...that's why we turned it off. Just can't remember the exact setting and exactly where it goes. I could try it either way and in both ini files but might have to wait a number of races to see if it bites someone again. Just thought some of the more experienced racers (me since the NASCAR 1 modem days of $200.00 a month phone bills just to race) might remember how it was done. Hope this explains why I want to turn it off. Thanks for the reply.

4. Markfan

Markfan Sim Racing Designosaur

If I recall correctly, the last Papyrus game to allow the disablement of random player breakdowns was NASCAR Racing 3. For whatever reason, the more recent games have prevented players from doing this.

5. Brad H

Brad H Well-Known Member

NR2003 does not have the relevant line in any of the inis.

NR3 had it as a menu option when you race. I could not find the relevant line in any of the inis but it had other .cfg files which don't open well as text files', so it could be in one of those.

NR2002 has a line in the dedicated server section of the player.ini =

MechanicalFailures=0 ; allow mechanical failures?

They may have left this in the code for 2003, but not hooked it up in the ini, so I would try adding that line and see if it works.

6. Markfan

Markfan Sim Racing Designosaur

Unfortunately, they did not. That has been proven in the past. If any coding exists to allow mechanical failures to be disabled, it is not modifiable in the player.ini.

I kind of question why they bothered to take their time to remove it, but it's not like we can do much about that.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.