1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

Questions for Fictional Painters/Template creators

Discussion in 'NR2003 General Discussion' started by Mystical, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

This question (as the title states) is directed at those who in the community are most interested in painting fictional cars and/or also make fictional manufacturer templates for their own fictional series. If this sounds like you then I am very interested in any feedback/input you have to the mini questionnaire below.

1) Do you prefer to always use real life series mods when painting fictionals or would a fictional mod with fictional bodies be more interesting to you?

2) If a mod existed that was made with template friendly features to create your own fictional manufacturer's which ones would you like to see be made ready out of the box?

3) Have you ever encountered any struggles when trying to paint fictional schemes on a mod? If so, what would make it easier if a mod accommodated those issues?

4) Have you ever encountered any struggles when trying to create a fictional manufacturer on a mod? If so, what would make it easier if a mod accommodated those issues?

5) How important to you must a mod be to its real life counterpart compared to having more of a fictional aspect to it? For example would you care if a Gen 6 mod existed that had some similar features but the rear and front areas would be made for easy manufacturer creation/swapping?

6) What is your favorite mod(s) to paint fictionals on? What are some of the reasons you like painting on those in particular?

7) What is your dream fictional series that you would paint and what would a fictional mod look like to you could make it?

8) Is there anything else you would like to mention regarding fictional painting and/or fictional template creation for a mod that would be friendly and focused towards those goals?

The questions above do not implicate any actual mod will/would ever exist. Also this is not a request form for such a mod or other features to be made. At this point in time it is only to gather a better understanding of those who are interested in the fictional series' side of the community.

2. DaleTona75

DaleTona75 Unhealthily Obsessed With Backmarkers

1) Do you prefer to always use real life series mods when painting fictionals or would a fictional mod with fictional bodies be more interesting to you?
    As long as the cars look interesting and are easy to paint. I prefer Gen 4 and COT style cars.

2) If a mod existed that was made with template friendly features to create your own fictional manufacturer's which ones would you like to see be made ready out of the box?
    I'd say the typical Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Toyota, Pontiac. But I would love to see a few different cars for each make, such as Camry/Supra, SS/Camaro, Fusion/Mustang, Challenger/Charger, etc.

3. Have you ever encountered any struggles when trying to paint fictional schemes on a mod? If so, what would make it easier if a mod accommodated those issues?
    Main issue I have is warping and odd connections (the SS.Net COT mod has a wierd janky warp next to the A-pillar that is not even on the wireframe.) Ideally applying nose contigs should be simple, as in the S&G and SRD Mods. Details to paint winglets, cameras/windshield baners, etc. just for flexability sake.

4) Have you ever encountered any struggles when trying to create a fictional manufacturer on a mod? If so, what would make it easier if a mod accommodated those issues?
    I mainly stick to Gen 4/COT stuff, so the templates are usually pretty generic, but most Gen 6 mods have too much nose detail(heck the Camry noses on Xfinity cars from 2015 onwards have the same issue)

5) How important to you must a mod be to its real life counterpart compared to having more of a fictional aspect to it? For example would you care if a Gen 6 mod existed that had some similar features but the rear and front areas would be made for easy manufacturer creation/swapping?
    Actually, I don't mind some innacuracies if it means the ability to add more cars. Ideally I would like to make all gen 4 cars in one mod. That is the only shortcoming wth the S&G Mods, is that thedetail on the nose and tail often mean that alt makes usually have to be fudged a little, which can be difficult.

6) What is your favorite mod(s) to paint fictionals on? What are some of the reasons you like painting on those in particular?
    I mainly use the S&G 07 mod these days, but the SS.net COT, DMR Cup11, Om3gA Cup 2000, and ss.net ncc07 get some attention every now and then.

My favorite feature on any mod is the fact that the Cup90 mod has NO rear quarter windows detailed into the model. This is one of the main issue with alt makes is the window shape, especially on later gen 4 cars as that is one of the few distinctive features of each make. I also have played with the NR2002 conversion for the same reasons, though the single body shape does make some awkwardness on the nose and especially the tail.

7) What is your dream fictional series that you would paint and what would a fictional mod look like to you could make it?
    Pretty much we are really close with gen 4 mods, but I would like 1 car that has a more rounded nose(think 03 Taurus, 04 Intrepid, 06 Fusion) One with a more square-ish nose(07 Toyota, 05/06 Chevy), one with a more pointed nose(05 Charger, 03 Pontiac) and the last one can either have a flat/slab front(see pinty's challenger) or a boxy 1997 Ford Thunderbird style nose.

Pretty much I could have all gen 4 makes, as well as a few muscle cars/90's vehicles if I want to run an ARCA-esque or Trans-Am-esque series.

8) Is there anything else you would like to mention regarding fictional painting and/or fictional template creation for a mod that would be friendly and focused towards those goals?
    Pretty much a few generic nose shapes, and the ability to add whetever window decals we want, instead of having windows molded into the cars.

Mystical likes this.
  3. nascarfreak88

nascarfreak88 Sarcasmus pessimus

I might be a bit of an outlier because nowadays most of my painting interests are in either not stock cars or some of the older NASCAR bodies. But I'll do my best and hope it helps.

1) Are there any mods that aren't based from real-life models in some fashion? I'd love to see one that is more or less entirely fictional. It would certainly be different and give a little bit more of a sense of being unconstrained for anyone really wanting to make something entirely fictional.

2) Hmm, tough one. For stock cars, really all the manufactures I'd want are covered with Ford, Chevy, Dodge, and Toyota (or Pontiac for the older ones). Honda might be an interesting one. Perhaps BMW as well.

3) Not so much struggles as minor annoyances. For example, as great as the cup98 mod is, for some of the templates it gets a little annoying because the left and right sides aren't perfectly symmetrical so when duplicating stuff you always have to shift things a little bit. Again, however, this is fairly minor. Anything that limits warping and major size differences between different areas of the car helps, as well as any areas where decals are commonly placed that get separated. Again take cup98 for example. Not so much warping goes on, but the rear is comparatively small so when it gets blown up on the model it can look a little weird (and it can be tricky to properly size and align stuff that wrap from the sides to the back). And contingencies are a little annoying because the temp cuts off in the middle of the fender and both sections are at different angles. I know these things are sometimes unavoidable, but it can get a little tricky painting when there's stuff like this.

4) I don't create fictional manufacturers, I'm too lazy to learn. Though maybe one day I'll be arsed. Would definitely love to have some that are genuinely mine.

5) Depends on its purpose imo. If the goal is to replicate real life cars, then yeah I think it should be as close as can be managed/can be arsed. But if it is made to give painters some creative freedom, yeah some shapes could be made a little bit more vague to allow for some creative freedom. Both can exist. For example, put out a real-life gen6 and a "simpler" gen6 with more ambiguous bodies. The MASSIVE CAVEAT however is that I haven't tried modding so I don't know how laborious it would be to do that (I know I'm probably making it sound much easier than it actually is).

6) Any indy cars nowadays and older NASCAR bodies. Although I figure that is because that's where my actual interest in racing lies nowadays.

7) I got a lot I'd like to see that may or may not be relevant so I'll just list them.
    -Modern Indycar mod with multiple chassis (Dallara and one fictional), with two mods dedicated to the different track types (i.e. like how gns70 is split into speedway and short track. Two separate mods. This would have oval and RC/short oval mods). By the same token, ultimate dream would be a late 90s champ car mod doing the same thing (Lolas and Reynards split into two mods for each configuration). Also, Lights mod.
    -Sports cars. Maybe one generic body type for class (DPi, LMP2, GTLM, GTD. Or WEC bodies. Whatever works) and just rate them so the class system actually works. GT's would be nice as well. I dunno. There's a lot of sports cars that could be made for the game that haven't yet. It is a WEALTH of untapped potential. This could be fairly good to make some generic stuff and have people go nuts with manufacturers. Prototypes more or less all look pretty similar. A lot of GT cars have similar shapes as well (e.g. Ford GT, Corvettes, Ferraris, and McLarens have similar general features).
    -Better/more updated F1 mod. Or really any formulae.

8) I don't know. I feel as though stocks for this game have been pretty much nailed. Much of my interests just lies elsewhere as far as pushing the limits of the game in seeing what else can be made. There's a big untapped potential in branching out to other stuff as far as modding (and especially track creation). Also, should point out that I'm mostly interested in offline stuff rather than online. A lot of what I spoke about would probably drive like poop (at least compared to real life), but AI can be modded to be pretty good if there are tracks that are made decently. I'd give all that stuff a whirl myself but I have no idea how and don't have the time to learn.

Just my two cents. Hope that's relevant/helpful in any way!

Mystical and theusar like this.
  4. hiarcracing

hiarcracing Well-Known Member

I don't know of any mods that exist that are pure fictional? I use the BR15 mod and the original cup mod because those have easy models to switch manufacturers on, so one purely made for that purpose would be fantastic

The ones I use mostly are Audi, BMW, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Honda, Hyundai, Nissan, and Toyota. I'd love to see like a Subaru or a Mercedes as well, but honestly any of those would be great.

3) Have you ever encountered any struggles when trying to paint fictional schemes on a mod? If so, what would make it easier if a mod accommodated those issues?
    Some of the connection points are a little bit weird on some of the mods I paint on, like on the BR15 mod the size differentiation from the front bumper to the main car, as well as the back bumper, kind of throws me off sometimes. But then again, I'm not the most experienced painter, so that's just a minor thing.

Yep. I've tried on the original cup mod, and I've done some work for the BR15 mod as well, and again, the matchups between the front bumper and the main car body template was kind of off, on both mods.

that would be fantastic. Obviously for the real series I'd run their counterpart mods, but for fictional series this would be incredible.

I paint on BR15 and Original Cup because of the variety of the manufacturers available, and the non-complex bodies of certain models. The Toyota model for the BR15 in particular is great because it's nonspecific enough for multiple manufacturers.

Something like a mix of the COT and the Gen6 to be honest. The kind of spec nature of the COT works well for my fictional series, and the Gen6 has the aesthetics that I like, so a mix of that would be fantastic.

I think that's it? sorry if this wasn't much help lol

Mystical and DaleTona75 like this.
  5. crazyboy335

crazyboy335 #50in07 Banned

1) I'd definitely be down with a fictional mod for my fictionals, especially because my series aren't canon with real life. I'd like to get it as far away from NASCAR as possible.

2) Personally, I keep my series down to the main four, but if the template is accommodating of special manufacturers I would give it a shot. I'd be willing to add Nissan, Mitsubishi, Dodge, Volvo, and Tesla to my existing series.

3) My main pet peeve is body asymmetry. I'd love it if the body were perfectly split and even so things could be copied from side to side without touching up the base.

4) Sharp angles and cutouts kill any resemblance of fictional manufacturers on real mods. Vague shapes that kinda look like a certain manufacturer can work - see the BR15 Toyota and the CWS15 models. As for template creation, it's just hard to find or make the proper decals to work with to make it look good. I don't create purely fictional manufacturers, but I have featured Pontiac in my carsets in the last few years. Having them be around adds a flair to my sets that I think separates it from the other offline universes out there.

5) Not important to me at all. An "alternate universe" Gen-6 mod would be real cool to work with. I'd like to experiment with different models of existing manufacturers as well as adding new ones to my set, like running the Impala for Chevrolet again instead of the Camaro.

6) Right now I prefer NXS17 and BR15. SnG's Cup03 mod is fun to work with as well since the templates are so unique. All of these mods are detailed and look great ingame but still let you be creative with how you lay your schemes out.

7) A cross between a TA2 car, any current GTE/GTLM car, and a modern Xfinity car would be amazing for my series. I'm looking for aggressive, pony car-esque styling with modern technology (like digital dashes or 21-inch wheels) that would still fit the "look" of a stock car. NXS17 is the closest I can get to it for now, but Five Star's TA2 Mustang is the look I'm going for.

8) I personally think the main areas for sponsors (hood / sides / rear) should be flat or have minimal body shaping in the area. The 2019 Camaro, for example, has that ugly wrinkle on the side that makes sponsors unreadable from certain angles. I'd also like to see the practice of placing decals over the car's lights minimized or removed entirely.

DaleTona75 and Mystical like this.