1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

Rain and Windshield Wipers in NR2003

Discussion in 'NR2003 General Discussion' started by TColeman12, Jun 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TColeman12

TColeman12 #BMR19Team

I wondered after the Nationwide race at Road America, would it be possible for there to be windshield wipers and rain in NR2003?

2. kirbyfighter12

kirbyfighter12 Well-Known Member Banned

I don't think so, because you would need to decompile the exe and game code and edit it which IRacing disallows.

3. TColeman12

TColeman12 #BMR19Team

That makes sense.

Thanks!

4. K.Chuck

K.Chuck --Hijinxtattoo--

You could design a wet version of the track and possibly edit the windshield to display water. I dont really know how well it would resemble actual rain though.

the more I think of it you could edit the glass mips to use a different degrees of rain build up rather than it being the dirt/debris build up. This still wouldn't give the water the motion of real rain but maybe with an edited slick tack that visually looks wet ,could sell the illusion of racing in wet conditions.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  5. Ryan81398

Ryan81398 93 Wins

You would have to edit the track to make it look wet and make it slippery, as well as edit the windshield to make it look wet and have the mod you are racing with have windshield wipers built in.

6. Ian S

Ian S Well-Known Member

turn fog on and make it really thick (edit the sky.3do), that will get you the poor visibility, as for wipers, tried that a while ago and couldn't get it to work, it seems the game won't let you have regular animations in cockpit view.

InsideLine likes this.
  7. David24

David24 Paint Crew Paint Crew

you could edit the windshield mip to have a wiper or two but it would be flat, and I guess you could put water drops.

8. T18

T18 Well-Known Member

What tool would one use to make such edits to the sky.3do?

9. DaveO

DaveO Well-Known Member

You can also edit the track surface, (make it more slick) to make it appear wet, add in some cool textures, and create a wet track.. Kinda like kicking up dirt, on a dirt track, but have the car's kickup water.:)

10. Mcc457

Mcc457 Well-Known Member

Couldn't you also add a some large, flat 3D models into the track that looks like rain? Placed at intervals, as to keep the frames higher, they wouldn't have to be animated, and could have an animated option in a separate folder.

11. Ian S

Ian S Well-Known Member

Any old basic hex editor, just remember to abide by the rules of hex editing, what you replace must be the same length as it was originally.

Fog thickness is the 12th value of each "sky" iirc.

Code:
    0.73 0.58 0.41.#wrld diff clr..0.48 0.5 0.56.#wrld amb clr..4.076 -0.78.#sun yaw&ptch..0.9 0.8 0.67 [COLOR="Red"][B]0.00065[/B][/COLOR].#fog clr/dnsty..1 0.927 0.8078 0.027 1 8.#lens clr sz intns numsamp..4.076 -0.447 #lens sun yaw&ptch..s_envir_01.mip s_environ.mip #env maps
    Make small changes at first, I seem to remember setting it to 1.00000 results in a white screen XD

12. T18

T18 Well-Known Member

thanks, think i got if working, you wouldn't happen to have nay other cool trick to share?
    Seems like you could teach all of use a lot of tricks.

13. Sgt Slaughter

Sgt Slaughter Well-Known Member

Hope this works out, be pretty cool to see what people can come up with.

14. USSTalladega

USSTalladega I see you mate.

Obviously the best place to start would be the Watkins Wet thats floating around. I dare anyone to spin out no less than five times in one session lol.

15. Ian S

Ian S Well-Known Member

We've done some league races on that one, nobody finishes without spinning at least twice :lol:

16. bubba025

bubba025 "I Wanna Go Fast."

Wet tracks on NR2003 are pretty tricky. Not a fan to be honest lol.

Also, If anyone plans on making mip files for the brake light and windshield wiper, let me know. I was at Road America for the race last weekend (In the Garage/pits) and took a bunch of pictures.

17. T18

T18 Well-Known Member

So i had a thought if anyone has one of those force gauges for getting coefficient of friction, we could really ball park the grip loss from dry to wet pavement, there by giving us a better staring point then "Well it looks slick"

18. nascarfan1400

nascarfan1400 Tony Stewart Fan & Brony Banned

A bit of a bump, but ive found that, at least for the player, raising the tire heat value in the track .ini results in all kinds of smoke, An improv rooster tail.
    NR2003 Rain.png
    Its a bit exaggerated, and you need to crank the tire wear waaay down (I used 0.001) To compensate, but, going hand in hand with the windshield buildup, this gets it on the windshield quickly. In addition, if someone edited the skidmark .mip to be a transparent-ish tire mark, the set up puts a constant line of 100% opacity skidmarks.

Pair this all with a rainy track asphalt .mip and some commitment on .ini, and this looks pretty doable.

SpeedMaster14 and twcom like this.
  19. twcom

twcom Well-Known Member

nascarfan1400 likes this.
  20. nascarfan1400

nascarfan1400 Tony Stewart Fan & Brony Banned

NR2003 2015-01-27 08-31-28-19.png
    Now it isnt exaggerated, Great call! Now if someone can make a track edit to a .mip to make the tarmac shiny and have a couple puddles....

Also, whats the possibility of putting a transparent, animated jumbo-tron on the track with falling raindrops?

USSTalladega likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.