13 - GEICO For Your Boat Camaro - HOM Hendrick9Fan
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings
Downloads
Updated

RIP Rockingham Motor Speedway

German500

SRD Member
Reaction score
I have just read in Wikipedia that this oval track was closed in 2018 and should be demolished.
I remember them for the great IndyCar race in 2001, where Gil de Ferran overtook Kenny Bräck after a thrilling duel and laid the foundation for winning the 2001 CART championship.

Saan Anguish

Inflictor of Pain
SRD Member
Reaction score
Correct, and the only reason I know this is because I was researching tracks for the SRD Indy Offline league and was reading about Rockingham UK being closed and eventually will be demolished to become a logistics hub.

InsideLine

Hey Man! Careful there's a beverage here!
SRD Member
Reaction score
Oh okay, so sad to see another track going away.

aRKey Designs

SRD Member
Reaction score
same would happen to the Eurospeedway Lausitzring in Germany someday. They always fight against insolvecy and the track issold to the certification company "dekra" in 2018. This company will use the track as a test track for automated driving and will not host racing events, but will rent the track for other organisators.

German500

SRD Member
Reaction score
Europe is not a good place for oval races. But the first Indycar races in 2001 (in Rockingham, UK and Eurospeedway, GER) were sold out.

aRKey Designs

SRD Member
Reaction score
Europe is not a good place for oval races. But the first Indycar races in 2001 (in Rockingham, UK and Eurospeedway, GER) were sold out.
Well yes and no. There aren't many ovals in europe, thats right.
But it is coming slowly. there are short track ovals in Tours (FRA) and Venray (NED) on which the nascar whelen cup series hold races. On venray there are many race classes over the year. take a look here: https://www.racewayvenray.com/raceklassen (attention it's on dutch!).

And also in Germany they build a new shorttrack oval at the "Racepark Meppen". On this track the NWES will also host a race this year, but will not drive on the oval, but on the roadcourse.

Nascar is rising in Europe, so hopefully there will be more ovals soon. Look at the "american fan fests" in Hockenheim (GER) and Brand Hatch (UK), they have more visitors every year!