1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

Sandbox 2

Discussion in 'NR2003 General Discussion' started by TChapman500, Aug 4, 2018.

?

Grip Level Support

1. All configurations have same grip levels.

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Per-configuration grip levels.

6 vote(s)
    85.7%
  1. TChapman500

TChapman500 Well-Known Member

All that work to make sure that my code is correct only to realize that I didn't implement it as intended. So now I have to rework the segment code. I'm going to use "nodes" to determine segment position rather than storing segment positions on the segments themselves. Same with sections. Their positions will be stored in nodes rather than on the sections themselves. That'll make it easier for me to implement things like node snapping later on. I completely forgot about that when I finished implementing the segments and now I have to redo most of the segment and section implementation that I have. That was a huge waste of time!

2. TChapman500

I'm considering changing my mind about the bare minimum milestone. Previously, I said that the editor would support decals at the bare minimum milestone, but decals can be simulated by splitting segments. So I think I want to wait until after the bare minimum milestone to implement decal support.

Mystical likes this.
  3. TChapman500

Well, I successfully decoded the F Sections (theoretically). Something tells me that I'm going to run into trouble when it comes to FSections with light maps. The W Sections basically messed-up everything I thought I knew about a specific sub-structure dealing with the texture coordinate mappings.

Mystical likes this.
  4. TChapman500

Just for the fun of it, I just figured out the entire SBX file structure. Of course, Sandbox 2 is going to save the projects using the SBX extension. I'll just add something to make sure that a user can't crash the program by opening an original Sandbox SBX file. Oh, and the only purpose of the SBX file is to display a single background image. It's ignored by the simulator.

5. TChapman500

Anything Sandbox can do, I can do better! I'm just tampering with the texture coords of the track surface decals to see what will happen. I'll put it on the bucket list for the "feature complete" milestone to implement UV adjustment of track surface decals. Oh, and longitudinal skewing of section textures. We'll have tracks that simply cannot be recreated in the original Sandbox by the time I'm done with this thing!

J.R.Franklin, Rufio2031 and Mystical like this.
  6. Rufio2031

Rufio2031 Well-Known Member

Is adding texture segments to F sections like you can with W sections a possibility or is that an engine limitation?

J.R.Franklin likes this.
  7. TChapman500

It appears to be an engine limitation. There's nothing in the F Section data structure that suggests that we can add multiple texture segments to an F Section.

8. J.R.Franklin

J.R.Franklin Well-Known Member

Ah... too bad. :(

9. TChapman500

My library to read 3do/ptf files can now read a PTF file correctly up to the point where it encounters track segments. I have not implemented the read code for segments yet. Nor have I implemented the write code for anything. Note that even though I'll probably implement write code for decals and TSOs, the editor won't be able to put them in until after the bare minimum milestone. Just track segments and sections.

10. TChapman500

Looks like I'll have a complete PTF reader by the end of the week. There is one problem though: Bump Map names are encoded for some reason and I have no clue what the algorithm is.

11. TChapman500

PTF read code is complete. I still don't have a clue about the bump map names though. I know that they are (a) stored as a 128-bit encrypted value and (b) can be easily decrypted.

WarMaKin likes this.
  12. TChapman500

Decided to implement the grid lines as a single shader instead of as two shaders. So that's a total of 2 draw calls for the entire grid (lines + origin marker) instead of 3. Plus it reduces the amount of initialization code that needs to run. I'm currently trying to implement the wireframe rendering system for segment sections. I've decided against implementing any 3D segment wireframe rendering for now. It'll probably come after this project reaches the Sandbox Complete milestone, but before it reaches the Feature Complete milestone.

Mystical likes this.
  13. TChapman500

I've decided that wireframe rendering will only be done in 2D views (to simplify the shaders and reduce GPU load), and only for the sections which are visible. Mesh generation will be done on the CPU side instead of the GPU side. And will only be done if something about the segment has changed instead of every frame. Again this is to reduce GPU load and shader complexity. The mesh generation of the curved fences will be incredibly complex and I believe it's better to have these things generated using the CPU instead of the GPU.