1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

slowing cars down...

Discussion in 'NR2003 General Discussion' started by tkbennett1989, Aug 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tkbennett1989

tkbennett1989 Well-Known Member

This may be a stupid question no one has ever asked before but I was wondering if there was a way to slow down you and the entire ai's top speed. I'm interested in running with the Hornets mod but I wanna be able to floor it and only go a max of 60 at best. Anyway to make this happen?

2. fortine_oo

fortine_oo Well-Known Member

I get the Hornets are a restrictive series, but how are you arriving at 60 mph?
    Is 60mph a straight line top speed? ...top speed for a particular track type?

About the only way to artificially retard the Player's ability is through reduced grip (and using the least powerful series, cts), so you wouldn't necessarily be able to "floor it". Is it always possible to just floor it in the real car/series?
    About the only way to artificially retard the ai's vehicle ability is through the ai ratings, by using low values for VEHICLE/ENGINE, VEHICLE/AERO. Due to the exe's ai implementation, where the objective is to keep the ai on track and heading in a forward direction, the ai are not really hampered by low grip values, even values so low that the Player would feel like the surface was ice.

IDK that you could attain the level of retardation you're asking for, but it would require a lot of trial and error and I'm not sure you'd be happy with the racing experience even if you could.
    If you're hell bent on the 60mph, I'd say start with the Oui Oui mod and increase the Player's and ai's ability through setup (Player, maybe ai - fast.(series).sim) and ai ratings (ai).

NR2003 was developed more as a "Nascar" simulation than a video game, and at a specific moment in time (2003), it can't be everything to everybody's whim in 2015.

Sandy and InsideLine like this.
  3. martinrace

martinrace Well-Known Member

The OuiOui mod exe will work but the mod you want to run hast to be in pta!

4. tkbennett1989

Well I appreciate your helpful albeit rude response fortine00, I was simply just throwing a number out there, wasn't necessarily settled on 60 mph. I was just wondering if it was possible to make it to where you could floor it and only go a certain mph.

Just asking a question really to see if it would be possible, thanks for the ai grip, I'll toy with that. Just wasn't sure if there was any way to put it on major restrictor plate mode.

Thanks for the help. I'll never ask another question again.

5. Sage

Sage Cranky Old fart

I must be missing something as I see nothing even remotely 'rude' about fortine00's reply.
    One thing I do know though...people today are too fucking sensitive.

6. Tetronix

Tetronix #48EVER

Absolutely true. Couldn't have said it better.

InsideLine likes this.
  7. InsideLine

InsideLine Hey Man! Careful there's a beverage here!

There wasn't anything rude with fortine_00's comments, He always comes to the rescue when it comes to any type of track or AI problems and questions and is very wise. My Father calls Him the "Yoda" of sim-racing. Show some respect and be thankful and more appreciative of people's help.

Tetronix likes this.
  8. Tetronix

Tetronix #48EVER

It definitely was sarcastic, but it was true in many different ways, and was helpful.

9. fortine_oo

fortine_oo Well-Known Member

To tkbennett1989...
    I don't know what part of what I posted you feel is rude (or Tetronix thinks is sarcastic), I certainly didn't have any rude (or sarcastic) intent when I responded to the request.
    I tried to offer avenues of pursuit as concise and specific as I could to a general question, including general caveats that despite one's tenacity a bona fide/realistic outcome is not inevitable.

Re: "...thanks for the ai grip, I'll toy with that..."
    Grip modifications should be directed toward the Player via
    <[ track ] track_(surface type)_grip> or <[ track_(series) ] track_(surface type)_grip>,
    not <[ ai_track ] ai_grip_modifier>, because "the ai are not really hampered by low grip values".

USSTalladega, Sandy and InsideLine like this.
  10. nassau

nassau Well-Known Member

fortine_oo you must be one of those people who can be rude and sarcastic
    without actually being so. Very rare talent.

Yggdrasil likes this.
  11. tkbennett1989

Damn Man I'm Sorry For Being Standoffish. Guess It Wasn't Rude Lol I Guess The Amount Of Retards In Your Response Got Me. I Was Just Having A Bad Day. Thanks For The Helpful Response Though. I Appreciate It Man.

12. Oceanic

Oceanic Garden of Light

"Retard" can be used as a verb, you know...

13. Sage

Sage Cranky Old fart

So it was the use of 'retard' in fortine00's reply that set you off?
    Next time, if you are unsure of what someone is saying, maybe take the time to try and find out?
    "re·tard
    verb
    verb: retard; 3rd person present: retards; past tense: retarded; past participle: retarded; gerund or present participle: retarding
    riˈtärd/
    delay or hold back in terms of progress, development, or accomplishment.
    "his progress was retarded by his limp"
    synonyms: delay, slow down, slow up, hold back, hold up, set back, postpone, put back, detain, decelerate "
    Notice that most of the synonyms are in relation to the notion of speed?
    Don't be so quick to admonish someone until you know that they are directly insulting/attacking you.

USSTalladega, ongias25 and InsideLine like this.
  14. ongias25

ongias25 Well-Known Member

The sim-racing community is very lucky to have fortine_00. He not only knows alot about all things NR2003, He always seems to come to the rescue and will actually take the time to simulate the problem and find the solution, which 100% of the time fixes the Issue. So in closing, thank You fortine_oo for all You do. Phil. :)

15. tkbennett1989

Ten four, thanks guys. Thanks Webster..I meant Sage. It's all good, I get it the sim racing community is so lucky to have this guy. Which is why I apologized.

InsideLine likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.