1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

SNG MENCS Render Issues (I'm Still New to Rendering and 3DS btw...)

Discussion in '3dsMax Help or Questions' started by Reza Maulana, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Reza Maulana

Reza Maulana SRD's Resident Indonesian & Truck Series Statman

First of all, I should mention that the 3DS version that I have installed on my laptop is the 2019 version (EDIT: Its the Student Edition by the way).

As per what Matty suggested to me after my impatience got the best of me in Render Requests, I decided to try rendering on my own in 3DS using SNG/Cosmin's MENCS render scenes. I already got the how-to-put-scheme-flat bit sorted out, thankfully. When it comes to rendering, I tested out 3 of the modes in 3DS (Scanline, ART, and Quicksilver) to see how each render mode works. Each of them, however, had their own issues:

1. With Scanline Rendering mode, the scheme... broke itself badly.
    Scanline Renderer - Borked.jpg

2. With ART Rendering mode, not only the scheme broke (not as bad as Scanline though), the Sky01 lighting is not detected as well (hence why the output's very dark).
    ART Renderer - Borked Plus Sky01 Not Detected.jpg

3. With Quicksilver Rendering mode, it's the only one that didn't broke the scheme or any other part of the SNG's 3DS models, but the quality of the render is very much in the low quality zone.
    Quicksilver Renderer - Not Borked but Low Quality.jpg

And since I'm still considerably new to both rendering NR2003 schemes and 3DS Max in general... I don't really have a clue yet on how to increase the quality and/or fixing the broken bits. Realistically, I would try to continue with Quicksilver and try to find a way to increase its quality, but any help on any of the render mode to guide me fixing these issues would be helpful!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  2. garrett1127

garrett1127 Well-Known Member

I do believe that the SNG scenes are Mental Ray scenes. Here's a scanline render ....Max 2018 36sl.jpg

3. Reza Maulana

Mental Ray... Hmmm alrighty. Although IIRC the Mental Ray renders has been discontinued right?

4. John Gamboa

John Gamboa The Mr. Sparkle of NR2003.

Pretty much. 3DS Max had stopped carrying Mental Ray from the 2018 version onwards (with the news that NVIDIA is discontinuing Mental Ray a few months later), so you got pretty unlucky in that regard. (Since even if you got the last version of Mental Ray that was released late last year on their forums, it will not work for 3ds Max 2019; which is what you are currently using.)

5. Reza Maulana

Yeah I've been unlucky with that regard. I wonder if Arnold renderer can be used as an alternative to Mental Ray, since I didn't try to use it yet (although it likely won't). My main focus now is to either somehow find a way to fix the broken scheme display on Scanline or find a way to increase the quality in Quicksilver...

6. Carbine M1A1

Carbine M1A1 Well-Known Member

That first one looks like you got more than one model visible. Check the object list should be on the left make Shure you only have the one model visible object hide.jpg

7. Reza Maulana

Hmmm... So the underside of the non-SS model is not interchangeable with the SS model? I think that's what I did wrong then. I'll check it after watching the Phillip Island MotoGP races

8. Reza Maulana

So after more testing that I did just recently, I found out that for some reason, the underside model on the render is the reason why the scheme broke massively in the Scanline Renderer mode. Here's a result of trying to rendering with underside on in the Camaro model:
    Chevy Scanline - Underside Broke.jpg

After making that conclusion, I ran a test on each of the models (Camaro, Dodge, Ford, Toyota) to see how they're rendered without underside on, and this is the result so far on each of them:

Camaro's got away fine. The only one that's working as intended and got away trouble free actually.
    Chevy Scanline - Fine No Underside.jpg

For Dodges... mostly no issues, but the roof and hood are somewhat broken (the unintended gray/black bits).
    Dodge Scanline - Roof Broke.jpg
    Ford also had its roof area broke slightly. Ford Scanline - Roof Also Broke.jpg
    As for Toyota... The roof did broke along with a part of the hood, but its very minor when compared to Dodge and Ford's issues with roof and hood.
    Toyota Scanline - Roof Broke Slightly No Underside.jpg

Right now, its the problems with the roof and hood of non-Camaro models that's needed to be sorted out, but I don't know where to start on this bit as of yet apart from knowing its the roof and/or hood that are slightly broken...

9. Carbine M1A1

Yup it's the interior of the hood and roof that is poking through to the outside you need to select the interior and either move it down away from the outside or delete it that is what I did.

10. Reza Maulana

Alright then, going to try it out again once I moved/delete the interior. Oh by the way, by delete you mean delete the parts that clipped through the body or the entire interior (because there's a chance that the interior components were combined together as one component)?

11. Carbine M1A1

Here look at this. :D:DThis is for another model but the same problem.
    It's the underside of the body showing through hide all except the body rotate your view (Don't rotate the body) got to the modifier panel select the square box and then select the inside panels of the body and move them slightly. Try that

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Reza Maulana

Umm... The images aren't working Carbine. They didn't show up here. Looks like there's an error with the pics that you tried to upload.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  13. Reza Maulana

Also, I have managed to got to the bit where I need to "go to the modifier panel, select the square box, and select the inside panels...". Then I click the "Modify" tab beside the "+" tab used to add new objects to the project. Problem is, my modifier list bar is empty. I think I did it wrong because the pics Carbine sent as a guide is broken right now, so I kinda had to do this with whatever I've known so far about 3DS...
    Modifier Panel Square Box Help.jpg